Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Judon's Contract Be Restructured (or extended) Before The Start Of The Season?

• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
To me, Judon's restructure seems to be a given.

How do you all feel about it.

I think it's a possibility, but wouldn't be surprised if one of Agholor or Wynn is traded (7 to 9.5 million - might need to eat a few million if it's Agholor), and Henry and Bourne, and Bailey are extended 8.7 million. Sprinkle in a few cuts or other minor trades and the Pat's would be pushing 20 million in cap space with about 7 to 8 million to buy reinforcements.

I think it's a possibility, but wouldn't be surprised if one of Agholor or Wynn is traded (7 to 9.5 million - might need to eat a few million if it's Agholor), and Henry and Bourne, and Bailey are extended 8.7 million. Sprinkle in a few cuts or other minor trades and the Pat's would be pushing 20 million in cap space with about 7 to 8 million to buy reinforcements.
If Wynn were traded, I suspect that there would be little savings, since we would be signing an OT or two.

depends... do you see him being here for the full 4 year term? the guarantees in the deal disappear after this season... so there is an out.... its a relatively cheap contract with a low back end/final year... I personally wouldn't touch it unless we really need to clear cap...

I don't think a given, but certainly possible, and you could make an argument for likely.

As it stands, the team has an out after next season for 4.5 million. They might likely that flexibility considering how he finished the year.

I would think Hunter Henry would be ahead in line, if they could extend him.

depends... do you see him being here for the full 4 year term? the guarantees in the deal disappear after this season... so there is an out.... its a relatively cheap contract with a low back end/final year... I personally wouldn't touch it unless we really need to clear cap...
You want to consider trading him after the season?

The cost to the team is the same before and after a restructure.

I PERSONALLY DON'T think Judon is going anywhere.
Been wrong b4.

You want to consider trading him after the season?

The cost to the team is the same before and after a restructure.
Is it the same? any restructure would push any bonus conversion money into years 3/4, correct? The bonus money, because its paid upfront becomes a dead cap hit... please correct me if im wrong about that... And since the last year sits at just 15m in terms of a cap hit, why would you want to increase that number...

As for a trade, i wouldn't even consider it until after this season... nor would i consider extending him until after this year...

Is it the same? any restructure would push any bonus conversion money into years 3/4, correct? The bonus money, because its paid upfront becomes a dead cap hit... please correct me if im wrong about that... And since the last year sits at just 15m in terms of a cap hit, why would you want to increase that number...

As for a trade, i wouldn't even consider it until after this season... nor would i consider extending him until after this year...
The money pushed forward is a cap hit on the future.

CURRENT
Salary signing Bonus new bonus Roster Bonus Total Cap New Money For Judon
$11M $4.5M $0M $1M $16.5M $12M
$9.5M $4.5M $0M $1M $15.0M $10.5M
total $48M $34.5M

AFTER MOVING $9M to a NEW BONUS
$2M $4.5M $3M $1M $10.5M $12M
$11M $4.5M $3M $1M $19.5M $12M
$9.5M $4.5M $3M $1M $18.0M $10.5M
total $48M $34.5M

The differences are
1) Judon gets $9M of his salary early when he signs his new contract.
2) $6M of 2022 cap becomes $3M in 2023 and $3M in 2024

No decisions should be different concerning Judon; not by him or the team.

The money pushed forward is a cap hit on the future.

CURRENT
Salary signing Bonus new bonus Roster Bonus Total Cap New Money For Judon
$9.5M $4.5M $0M $1M $15.0M $10.5M
total $48M $34.5M

AFTER MOVING $9M to a NEW BONUS
$2M $4.5M $3M $1M $10.5M $12M
$11M $4.5M $3M $1M $19.5M $12M
$9.5M $4.5M $3M $1M $18.0M $10.5M
total $48M $34.5M

The differences are
1) Judon gets $9M of his salary early when he signs his new contract.
2) $6M of 2022 cap becomes $3M in 2023 and $3M in 2024

No decisions should be different concerning Judon; not by him or the team.
Yea, that's not happening.

I'd wait.

Pushing future money and consuming cap space on a player over 30 not named Brady and McCourty is risky.

Plus he didn't play that great down the stretch.
It isn't cap money that is at risk.

I said cap space.
First, I don't see the difference.

Secondly, the cap space used is the same before and after a restructure. The only question is what year the cap space is used. For me, if we move $6M of Judon's salary into the 2023 and 2924 caps, these amounts should have little to do with any future decisions regarding Judon, so age is irrelevant. As you well understand, a restructure is merely an accounting device to move cap cost to the future.
=======
Let me be more clear. Why does age matter when accounting for $6M of 2022 cost in 2023 and 2024?

Secondly, the cap space used is the same before and after a restructure. The only question is what year the cap space is used. For me, if we move $6M of Judon's salary into the 2023 and 2924 caps, these amounts should have little to do with any future decisions regarding Judon, so age is irrelevant. As you well understand, a restructure is merely an accounting device to move cap cost to the future.
=======
Let me be more clear. Why does age matter when accounting for $6M of 2022 cost in 2023 and 2024?
It's an actuarial way of looking at the situation.

A player has a higher probability to stay healthy and perform at 30 than at 32. It is smart business to have your younger, more durable, higher performer with a larger cap hit and guaranteed $ than an older, oft-injured one.

If Judon plays 14+ games, has no major, chronic ailments and has a great year vs the run and as a pass rusher then I'd consider moving cap space to future years.

=======
I understand the money is spent both ways, but the team can spend less on Judon's cap if he is cut.

The team currently has an out after next year saving 10.5M in cap, while eating just 4.5M.

Maybe with the way Judon finished the year, they are comfortable with that flexibility right now, rather than being forced to keep him because the savings isn't enough.

I agree with Pape on the third post, there's no need to.

I'm sure they'll want to get out from under his guaranteed dollars sooner than later and he isn't getting any younger.

They have all their rookies signed, all they need to do is clear up a little cap space for working capital for the season, their break glass in case of emergency slush fund.

There's no rush at this point. They can see who is good, bad or injured in camp and preseason then make moves. There's going to be some logjams at certain positions anyway (WR, RB) assuming the kids emerge, and there will be some trades in that case. There is no rush at all unless they want to shore up a certain position now, in which case they could extend their punter and be fine.

I understand the money is spent both ways, but the team can spend less on Judon's cap if he is cut.

The team currently has an out after next year saving 10.5M in cap, while eating just 4.5M.

Maybe with the way Judon finished the year, they are comfortable with that flexibility right now, rather than being forced to keep him because the savings isn't enough.
This is misleading.

If Judon is cut after this season, the effect on the cap is the same $10.5M. It matters little if it is $6M plus $4.5M or $10.5M.

Consider the situation we end up moving $6M into the 2023 cap because that is what is left after the season is over. It is the same $10.5M.

This is misleading.

If Judon is cut after this season, the effect on the cap is the same $10.5M. It matters little if it is $6M plus $4.5M or $10.5M.

Consider the situation we end up moving $6M into the 2023 cap because that is what is left after the season is over. It is the same $10.5M.

I'm not sure what you are saying. The cap hit next year is 9 million if cut next year and 4.5 million in 2024.

No matter. Pushing forward cap limits flexibility. It makes for less incentive for extensions, and more likely the team has to keep a player they might not want.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back