PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A.J. BROWN FOR JONNU SMITH ANYONE?

have a feeling the Titan organization is not too happy with Mr. A.J. Brown trying to shoot has way out the door. The CAP for the Titans is about $10mm left. Is Brown affordable?

DW Toys
Brown is up 5hits creek with no paddle.

If he refuses to play, he gets paid nothing and he stands to earn the most money from his rookie contract this season. Secondly, 2022 doesnt vanish when Brown reappears in 2023. He still is obligated to fulfill the 4th year of his contract.

Quite frankly, Brown is good, but he is not in elite company. Why dont the Pats get a clue and draft an AJ Brown so he can produce on a rookie deal instead of paying Jagahlor 2.5 million per TD?

I’m thinking Brown and Tennessee’s 1st rounder next year for Harry. C’mom Bill,, get this done.

O.K. Cousins,
After this post I will have my wife start my car via Fabrizio!

Jonnu Smith was a super star on the Titans. He fit. He does not fit here. Not utilized correctly? I am sure that Vrabel missed this kid last season.
On the same token, A.J. Brown is having a hissy fit. He's making only (only? I guess) $3.9mm.

Jonnu Smith signed a 4 year, $50,000,000 contract with the New England Patriots, including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $31,250,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,500,000.

Perhaps a trade and slot in Brown at Smith's present salary year one with incentives. Then jump him up for three more years? I know we are not paying any WR $25mm though.

Just a thought. Your thoughts?
DW Toys
Keep smokin that good stuff

O.K. Cousins,
After this post I will have my wife start my car via Fabrizio!

Jonnu Smith was a super star on the Titans. He fit. He does not fit here. Not utilized correctly? I am sure that Vrabel missed this kid last season.
On the same token, A.J. Brown is having a hissy fit. He's making only (only? I guess) $3.9mm.

Jonnu Smith signed a 4 year, $50,000,000 contract with the New England Patriots, including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $31,250,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,500,000.

Perhaps a trade and slot in Brown at Smith's present salary year one with incentives. Then jump him up for three more years? I know we are not paying any WR $25mm though.

Just a thought. Your thoughts?
DW Toys
1650423785241.gif
I Like It!

I can't tell if you all are serious on adding Harry to any deal or not. Dude has no value. None.
raz degan isola 12 GIF by Isola dei Famosi
He has negative value. Would probably have to give up Mac to get someone to take him

He has negative value. Would probably have to give up Mac to get someone to take him
nicksplat rugrats GIF

Anyone who wants to give him a shot will just wait for the Pats to cut him.

I think we need to come with grips that one of AJ Brown DK Metcalf or Deebo Samuel will be a Jet.

Why would anyone respond or mock the OP when it's obviously a cry for help? Some of you should be ashamed especially when you never even attempted to call the mental health hotline.

Am I missing a joke or something?

That's taking things way too far. His remaining guaranteed money is less than minimum salary, so as long as some team thinks he's worth having on their roster as a depth option, the team that cuts him just has to carry $674k dead money in 2022 and then get reimbursed that $674k on the 2023 cap via offset language.

Are we still acting like we will get anything better than a conditional 6th rounder for Harry?

Not only do you have to trade for AJ Brown, but you need to pay him. I know there's a subsection of fans who think football dollars are Monopoly money and the cap doesn't exist... but it does. Look what top WR's are getting paid right now. The way to find an AJ Brown is to draft him. I'd love to have him on my team, but WR is one of the least positions of need for the Pat's needs right now.

As for Jonnu and whether the Pats overvalued/overpaid him, I don't think that's what happened at all. First he came from the Titans, for those questioning why he never caught more than 500 yards receiving.... the Titans were 30th in pass attempts in 2020, 31st in 2019, 31st in 2018 and 28th in 2017 when he was a rookie. They were nearly dead last in pass attempts every year, where were all these targets that Jonnu was supposed to capitalize on? They simply weren't there.

The Pats were 25th in pass attempts last season, not much better. Jonnu also got hurt during offseason workouts then missed time in preseason with his wife giving birth to his first child and Covid issues. He missed a lot of valuable time he otherwise would have spent learning the offense. Add to that Mac Jones didn't start taking first team QB reps until preseason was nearly over and the regular season started, so time to build chemistry between the two was limited.

In 2022 the team has a better idea how to utilize Jonnu's skillset. And something that has to be reaffirmed every time we talk about TE's when we are talking about real football and not fantasy football... TE's also block. The team told Jakob Johnson that the FB position was no longer being used in the offense, that's not exactly true but they didn't want to retain him and it sounded like the most pleasant way to say "you're fired." Prior to James Develin the team didn't roster a FB for years, in that time they rostered 4 TE's instead and used Aaron Hernandez as the FB. That's some of what they did with Jonnu last year and what they'll expand upon this year. I suspect Jonnu will have a much better year in 2022 and the Pat's will still be a power running team. Assuming health he will be significantly more dangerous with the ball in his hands than slow lumbering Jakob Johnson was. Blocking doesn't show up in fantasy football stats, but it wins actual football games.

Great, then let’s trade miles Bryant for deandre Hopkins and Nick folk for Debo Samuel and we’ll be all set!

What's more unrealistic??

Trading Smith for Brown lol? A borderline top 12 TE for a top legit top 10-12 WR.

Or ...

Trading back to 32 and packaging Harry to Carolina for JC Horn (top ten pick last year) lol

N’Keal Harry for 1990 Jerry Rice who says no?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back