PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Few things - RE: Moderation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to get heated with Bob Jensen on KFFL. I took everything personally - like any criticism of the Pats was an insult to me personally and to my family, like some footie pajamas on here do.... then I grew up and realized it's an anonymous fan forum and people take this stuff WAY too seriously....folks need to chill out and not go off the deep end when someone posts "the defense sucks" in a GDT, resulting in a ban after they just gave up a 3d and 15....

I used to get heated with Bob Jensen on KFFL. I took everything personally - like any criticism of the Pats was an insult to me personally and to my family, like some footie pajamas on here do.... then I grew up and realized it's an anonymous fan forum and people take this stuff WAY too seriously....folks need to chill out and not go off the deep end when someone posts "the defense sucks" in a GDT, resulting in a ban after they just gave up a 3d and 15....
Signature checks out. Who is this Bob Jensen and why did he leave such an impression on you? Not saying it's weird. Just curious.

I think hot takes in the GDT should be ok. We're all passionate about the team and we all have knee jerk reactions to what's going on during a game. However, I do agree that the same old crap about "BB sucks and should have drafted X, Y, Z player, etc" should be left to other threads.

Last edited:
Yeah I may be a bit biased but the GDT moderating should chill a little. Who cares if someone gets their feelings hurt by a knee-jerk reaction, in 2 more minutes that post is 3 pages old. Or have two different GDTs, a PG one and a rated R one

I usually don't post in those, maybe hop in early before the game and wish the team luck. With that said, there's a lot of garbage posted in there, and what seems like a fair bit of trolling from people you literally never see outside those threads.

I think the GDT is probably over-moderated, as a lot of regulars seemingly get tossed for making a couple comments that are critical. I don't see anything wrong with fans being upset and making a few comments critical of the team's play (obviously no one likes to read someone posting nothing but negative comments). There's a time for praise, and a time for ridicule, but people shouldn't risk being tossed out of that thread in the first quarter because of a non-supportive comment.

I think if things go way off the rails and posters are completely out of line then it's fair game, but I think a fair amount of regulars get tossed from GDT for a very low threshold. Again, I appreciate the work the mods put in, it's not an easy job, but there's also a threshold that needs to be allowed in threads like that.

I remember someone like Jensen on the Usenet forums. Or maybe it was him. lol

Signature checks out. Who is this Bob Jensen and why did he leave such an impression on you? Not saying it's weird. Just curious.
Who is Bob Jensen..?!?!? Jackass Jensen (also called "Tollbooth Bob") is in the troll Hall of Fame. An all time classic. I enjoy the fact that he suffered tremendously having to watch the Patriots win multiple Super Bowls and his beloved Jets win.... well, maybe 5 or 6 games per year....
I remember someone like Jensen on the Usenet forums. Or maybe it was him. lol
Yes, that was him.

It's ironic how a thread about "Moderation" turns into another high jacked thread about BB and TB.....

Dont worry, once that topic dies down a little im planning to revive the malcolm butler sb52 debate in here. Unless there is a more suitable place to fight over that?

Dont worry, once that topic dies down a little im planning to revive the malcolm butler sb52 debate in here. Unless there is a more suitable place to fight over that?

Hell. Preferably the Ninth Circle.

Should have kept Bledsoe and traded Brady. Worth discussing

I love how every old person ever in every generation since speech became a thing thinks it was better in their day.
I'm an "old dude" who thinks that in some ways it was a lot worse "back in the day". Almost everyone smoked and if you got a major illness you were more likely to die from it back then. If you needed information you had to go to the library or try to find it in a dictionary or an encylopedia if you had one. TV news cycles were usually 15 minutes of local and 15 minutes of national news everynight. If you had a TV, a test pattern would show up on the screen at 11 PM or Midnight and remain there until 6 or 7 AM every morning. Prime Time TV shows like "Leave it to Beaver" showed Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver dressed for dinner in a suit and evening gown at home every night which was absolute BS. As far as Pro Football goes, the Giants were usually shown on TV. Some people dug Nuclear Bomb shelters and as children of the 50's we were told that if we got nuked to "Duck and Cover" meaning get under our school desks to protect us from a Nuclear Explosion. Ya right . . .

Today some diseases prevalent back in the 50's are no longer a threat and medical technology has increased our overall life span. We have access to information at our finger tips that people could not even dream about back in the 50's. News cycles run 24 hours a day. TV channels have just about anything anyone would like to watch at anytime of the day. The NFL can show multiple games on Sunday's and throughout the week. We still have a Nuclear threat of mutual destruction between countries but we try not to think about it.

On one hand, our lives can be so much better than they were back in the 50's but on the other hand, there was something good about not knowing anything back then. Choices were simple and "Ignorance was Bliss" meaning that
if you don't know about something, you don't have to worry about it.

Things began to change in the 60's and the rest is history. . .

I still like Patsfans and read it often, but I def noticed a quality decline once Brady left the team. Ive noticed people seem to be always on edge.

With that said, I interally cringe when I see men walking by wearing Buc shirts where I live. I also cringe when you get these middle aged dudes calling Brady "****y" and saying they hate the guy.

A thread about moderation has gone off the rails. Who would have thought.
Hahaha. Good time s

Some people dug Nuclear Bomb shelters and as children of the 50's we were told that if we got nuked to "Duck and Cover" meaning get under our school desks to protect us from a Nuclear Explosion. Ya right . . .
"Duck and cover" isn't going to save you if a nuke detonates next door, but it is a darn good idea if a nuke detonates a couple miles away. At the 5 mile mark (and I use 5 miles as a very rough estimate as it greatly depends on the type of nuke used), the shock wave from the blast will blow windows into their buildings, and spray a room with razor sharp shards and other debris.

"Tollbooth Bob" Jensen. Remember him well from USENET. Anyone remember his fav Jets draftee, the BBWK, Bowling Ball With Knives?
Forget the details but a Pats fan on USENET started stalking me and was threatening to contact the CEO of my company about me and also threatened to wait in the company parking lot to take me out. I can't remember what triggered him. I plead guilty to having been a real wiseass.
A great Pats poster on USENET, an Asian guy, accidentally outed himself on Patriots USENET and stopped posting. A major loss. This was the early 90s.

"Tollbooth Bob" Jensen. Remember him well from USENET. Anyone remember his fav Jets draftee, the BBWK, Bowling Ball With Knives?
Forget the details but a Pats fan on USENET started stalking me and was threatening to contact the CEO of my company about me and also threatened to wait in the company parking lot to take me out. I can't remember what triggered him. I plead guilty to having been a real wiseass.
A great Pats poster on USENET, an Asian guy, accidentally outed himself on Patriots USENET and stopped posting. A major loss. This was the early 90s.
And obviously the "Jets are set at every position" :D

Can't remember if that was Jensen or someone else.

I was also a regular on the ESPN forums. That forum and Usenet were free for alls except we knew the newsgroups weren't moderated. The ESPN forum had "moderators" but they didn't give a crap.

Patriots_Lose was the worst. If you were there you probably know what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots