PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Few things - RE: Moderation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As are you, so welcome to the club lol.
Why are you bothering? It's not like I don't see what he's doing and I've already engaged him a few times about it. Obviously, he's just trying to push people's buttons and he'll move the goalposts multiple times during the discussion for the sake of keeping it going.

As I've said, I'm not going to ban someone for being annoying - not when people also have the ability to just roll their eyes and not respond to them ;)

ESPN boards were awesome back in the late 90's-early 2000's because you could easily jump to other teams board's to see what their fans opinions were on players/coaches, etc..

Their biggest mistake was getting rid of it.

ESPN boards were awesome back in the late 90's-early 2000's because you could easily jump to other teams board's to see what their fans opinions were on players/coaches, etc..

Yeah they shut down when they went to a Facebook comments system based on stories and not team. Ended the trolling at least.

There was one troll and I'm sure it was the Patriots_Lose character who I really think was either an insider at the content moderator level or ESPN who hated the Patriots.

He'd respond in character and derail conversations or vandalize the board by going back to threads from 10 years ago and bumping up every single topic from then so normal Patriots discussion was impossible. ...plus he was also able to cover his tracks by either deleting his post which regular users couldn't do or taking an advantage of a board glitch which he must have also known about.

Mods would try to ban him but he'd just create a new account with a spelling variation like "Pattriots_Loose" and he'd be back and they wouldn't do a thing about it. Had to be either an insider or someone with elevated privileges.
So glad I joined the forum here! :)

There's no $$ in them and they don't have the ability/patience to try and manage them. That's why everyone has gotten rid of them. As it is, people like me are a dying breed and there's not many of us left. Kind of crazy how much the landscape has changed over the years and the last six years have been the most trying of the 20+ I've been doing this. And it's certainly not getting any easier.

There's no $$ in them and they don't have the ability/patience to try and manage them. That's why everyone has gotten rid of them. As it is, people like me are a dying breed and there's not many of us left. Kind of crazy how much the landscape has changed over the years and the last six years have been the most trying of the 20+ I've been doing this. And it's certainly not getting any easier.
Which is another reason why everyone needs to think a little more about negative posts and how it effects the person who actually owns and runs this board. This isnt day care...we can all be a little more thoughtful and responsible. Thank you Ian for your amazing site and all that you do to keep it running.

Which is another reason why everyone needs to think a little more about negative posts and how it effects the person who actually owns and runs this board. This isnt day care...we can all be a little more thoughtful and responsible. Thank you Ian for your amazing site and all that you do to keep it running.
romper-room.gif

It's not just me. @Ross12 , @ashley1992 are the most active mods here currently and definitely have a fair amount of patience given what goes on in here at times. We get that it isn't perfect and there are situations that occur here constantly that keep things challenging behind the scenes given the personalities, etc.

I see people talking about over-moderation but the number of deletions, suspensions, thread bans, etc. is pretty low, which I know some people have a hard time believing. The mod log most days is in the single digits, and sometimes even zero. We're pretty lenient with what gets allowed in here. Bans are rare, because I don't believe in booting people unless it reaches a point of no return.

Obviously, the bigger issues when they do come up are handled by me because I don't want them having to deal with any of that, but they both do a terrific job in here, as have each of the other mods who came before them. @Patters is an all-star for dealing with the political forum as he was the original one who stepped up there, and @IcyPatriot did the best he could up until I eventually had to shut that down.

But overall, keep in mind they're all just like the rest of us and having to take time to get into confrontations takes away from the experience here. So people just need to try and be a little mindful of some of things they post before hitting that "reply" button.

"Duck and cover" isn't going to save you if a nuke detonates next door, but it is a darn good idea if a nuke detonates a couple miles away. At the 5 mile mark (and I use 5 miles as a very rough estimate as it greatly depends on the type of nuke used), the shock wave from the blast will blow windows into their buildings, and spray a room with razor sharp shards and other debris.
The answer to your sig is Jeff Fisher. Can you remove it now?

hr pufnstuf

giphy.gif

The answer to your sig is Jeff Fisher. Can you remove it now?
LOL, I already mentioned that to him. The first time Belichick starts talking about players on a Wednesday who haven't played for that team in multiple years, we can make the comparison. Otherwise, not quite a fair comp ;)

Last edited:
It's not just me. @Ross12 , @ashley1992 are the most active mods here currently and definitely have a fair amount of patience given what goes on in here at times. We get that it isn't perfect and there are situations that occur here constantly that keep things challenging behind the scenes given the personalities, etc.

I see people talking about over-moderation but the number of deletions, suspensions, thread bans, etc. is pretty low, which I know some people have a hard time believing. The mod log most days is in the single digits, and sometimes even zero. We're pretty lenient with what gets allowed in here. Bans are rare, because I don't believe in booting people unless it reaches a point of no return.

Obviously, the bigger issues when they do come up are handled by me because I don't want them having to deal with any of that, but they both do a terrific job in here, as have each of the other mods who came before them. @Patters is an all-star for dealing with the political forum as he was the original one who stepped up there, and @IcyPatriot did the best he could up until I eventually had to shut that down.

But overall, keep in mind they're all just like the rest of us and having to take time to get into confrontations takes away from the experience here. So people just need to try and be a little mindful of some of things they post before hitting that "reply" button.
You all do a great job. To be clear, my only point relating to potential "over-moderation" is regarding game day threads. There could be far less action there than i/we see go on behind the scenes in regards to removing people, as it's the only type of thread where you could argue it seems necessary -- it's like a frat party in animal house. Otherwise I don't even notice it, unless there's some really egregious stuff. It just seemed like, at times, there may be an itchy trigger finger on some of those GDT when someone is a bit negative (the overtly bad or obnoxious stuff doesn't bother me that it's being removed). But hey, I don't have solid numbers like you guys do so I could be wrong and it's a feel versus a reality thing. All in all, that particular example was my only point -- no qualms from me on the moderation duties.

"So people just need to try and be a little mindful of some of things they post before hitting that "reply" button."

I don't post often and try not to be confrontational when I do. But I can't help but remember a time a few months ago when I stuck up for another poster that I knew from a different website who was in the middle of a heated discussion here. I learned a valuable lesson that day and that was don't get involved with other people's arguments on the internet. After I made my comment saying that I thought this guy was knowledgeable I got verbally ganged up on by 2 or 3 people involved in the argument. I threw a few insults back and to what end? Nobody solved a thing and fortunately I think it was Ashley who closed the thread.

Arguing on the internet is kind of like peeing into the wind.

"So people just need to try and be a little mindful of some of things they post before hitting that "reply" button."

I don't post often and try not to be confrontational when I do. But I can't help but remember a time a few months ago when I stuck up for another poster that I knew from a different website who was in the middle of a heated discussion here. I learned a valuable lesson that day and that was don't get involved with other people's arguments on the internet. After I made my comment saying that I thought this guy was knowledgeable I got verbally ganged up on by 2 or 3 people involved in the argument. I threw a few insults back and to what end? Nobody solved a thing and fortunately I think it was Ashley who closed the thread.

Arguing on the internet is kind of like peeing into the wind.
We have a lot of wind pissers here

I'd say 90% of anything emotional in the GDT is in the heat of the moment and not meant to be taken seriously. Not trolling.

Like this guy. Get the bulldozers in here :D Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back