PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A curious thing about 2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glass half full- They lost to an NFC team today. If you’re going to lose that’s who you lose to instead of an AFC team.

I wonder if he’s talking about Gilmore.

It’s not a talent problem. But it needs to be addressed before things start going south.

It's very odd: Every time they start out 2-2 ( 03, 14,) or 1-3 ( 01) they win a SB. Obviously not counting 04 and last season. The D has to improve. What are they gonna do if TB has an off game?

Interesting stat, but I think sharing 2-2 with the 2003 squad is where that comparison ends. This defense might (?) have half the potential of that squad, but this offense is light years ahead of that one.

I’ve seen enough to realistically hope they can make it to middle of the pack. Personnel wise, and the product on the field thus far, has tempered my expectations of this being a great defense. If it’s average, that’s probably enough for this team.

Brady’s been phenomenal given the pressure he’s faced and losing Jules; it’s to be expected he has a few off throws here and there. Sadly, he’s had to play this good just for this team to be .500. The onus is squarely on the defense. If they don’t improve? Use your imagination.

Can someone elaborate on what the communication issues are exactly?

I posted videos and screenshots of some of them in last weeks re-watch thread.

I'll give you a cliffsnotes version of a few.

1. QB scrambles, DB's and LB's break coverage to tackle the QB while leaving the receiver open. QB throws to the receiver for a big gain.

2. Defense is in Cover 2. Gilmore covers the receiver in his zone and passes him off to McCourty but McCourty played the wrong receiver. It looks like Gilmore blew the coverage and it's what I thought until Andy explained the cover 2 responsibilities. Later McCourty explained that he blew that coverage.

3. During an end around play both or either (I'm not sure whose responsibility it was) A. Butler and/or Van Noy get sucked into the run fake and fail to maintain the edge allowing the WR to make a big play.

Interesting stat, but I think sharing 2-2 with the 2003 squad is where that comparison ends. This defense might (?) have half the potential of that squad, but this offense is light years ahead of that one.

I’ve seen enough to realistically hope they can make it to middle of the pack. Personnel wise, and the product on the field thus far, has tempered my expectations of this being a great defense. If it’s average, that’s probably enough for this team.

Brady’s been phenomenal given the pressure he’s faced and losing Jules; it’s to be expected he has a few off throws here and there. Sadly, he’s had to play this good just for this team to be .500. The onus is squarely on the defense. If they don’t improve? Use your imagination.

The worst part about all of this is Brady is an mvp candidate. It's not as if he's looking his age. Win or lose Thursday, another poor D performance, a statement must be made. Whether if it's bringing back a certain retired player, or benching Butler or Gilmore. The 2011 D was bad but who did they have?

I hope this is a repeat of 2014. I hope they get it together. If not, we may have to face a harsh truth: This isn't a SB caliber team.

We are behind our W-L from last year, in which we won the Superbowl...

by exactly 1 game.

I see a little concern but no real alarm. That's good. Hopefully BB can make some adjustments and we can come burning out the gate in game 5

they have a lot fo really good teams coming up that right now are going to KTA ..they can easily be 3-3 in a short time.

The defense will be ok. It’s disconcerting to watch but there’s too much talent not to be. Communication issues are fixable.

Not happy with the running game though. I expected a lot better than this...
I agree they have too much talent, but what scares me is:

Why is it taking this long for the communication issues to get fixed?

And why are the miscommunication issues this bad?

Something seems off about their attitude, and it troubles me.

Interesting stat, but I think sharing 2-2 with the 2003 squad is where that comparison ends.
That's one hell of an understatement. For comparison's sake, the 2003 passing defense gave up 11 touchdowns in the entire year.

There's a decent chance that we may have given up more through the first four games. If not, it's getting pretty close.

If not, we may have to face a harsh truth: This isn't a SB caliber team.
Well, they sure as hell aren't a SB caliber team right now at this very moment, that's for sure. The hope is that they can do what other slow starting Patriot teams have done and turn things around.

I wonder if he’s talking about Gilmore.

It’s not a talent problem. But it needs to be addressed before things start going south.

it's not just Gilmore..it's him, McCourty and Rowe. The three of them look confused back there.

Well, they sure as hell aren't a SB caliber team right now at this very moment, that's for sure. The hope is that they can do what other slow starting Patriot teams have done and turn things around.

To be fair, they are a SB team on offense. I just don't know how you fix this D. Logan Ryan can't be that irreplaceable can he?

Those other Patriot teams didn't lose two home ( Minus 01) games. At least they lost in Miami or KC.

I posted videos and screenshots of some of them in last weeks re-watch thread.

I'll give you a cliffsnotes version of a few.

1. QB scrambles, DB's and LB's break coverage to tackle the QB while leaving the receiver open. QB throws to the receiver for a big gain.

2. Defense is in Cover 2. Gilmore covers the receiver in his zone and passes him off to McCourty but McCourty played the wrong receiver. It looks like Gilmore blew the coverage and it's what I thought until Andy explained the cover 2 responsibilities. Later McCourty explained that he blew that coverage.

3. During an end around play both or either (I'm not sure whose responsibility it was) A. Butler and/or Van Noy get sucked into the run fake and fail to maintain the edge allowing the WR to make a big play.

I look forward to this week's re-watch thread. Granted we'll have very little turnaround time since we play again on Thursday night, but it would be good to figure this out on coaches films.

To me the communication breakdowns have occurred mostly with bunch routes but are being stressed by intentional post motion, WR releases, and forced zone coordination. Until this gets fixed and fast, we're going to see motion, stacks, and bunches every single snap until the cows come home.

FWIW, Gilmore's finger pointing also occurred last year in Buffalo (remember the breakdown on the Hogan TD), not a good sign that it's carried over into this year with NE.

it's not just Gilmore..it's him, McCourty and Rowe. The three of them look confused back there.
McCourty has been particularly bad. I've never seen him look so out of sync. Not sure if it's him or Gilmore to blame.

The worst part about all of this is Brady is an mvp candidate. It's not as if he's looking his age. Win or lose Thursday, another poor D performance, a statement must be made. Whether if it's bringing back a certain retired player, or benching Butler or Gilmore. The 2011 D was bad but who did they have?

I hope this is a repeat of 2014. I hope they get it together. If not, we may have to face a harsh truth: This isn't a SB caliber team.

It's one thing to have a D that needs some work, but it's quite another to have the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL after one quarter of the season has elapsed. I mean, dead last. Worse than the Browns and the Jets. Looking up at the Titans. I can barely even comprehend that. And the ironic, cruel thing is that in addition to having the last-ranked defense, we have the top-ranked offense. It's maddening.

It's one thing to have a D that needs some work, but it's quite another to have the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL after one quarter of the season has elapsed. I mean, dead last. Worse than the Browns and the Jets. Looking up at the Titans. I can barely even comprehend that. And the ironic, cruel thing is that in addition to having the last-ranked defense, we have the top-ranked offense. It's maddening.

At least we have the Red Sox, if god forbid, the Pats miss the playoffs. Can anyone check and see when they last lost three or more at home in a season. I feel like it was 02 or 2000.

A quarter of the season is over....including three home games. Whatever they're doing to fix the problem hasn't worked.
Maybe it's time to try a different approach.

After having to work on a sunday and miss NFL Sunday (boo!) I just got done watching the game even after getting the score spoiled and I feel like the issues can and will be fixed on defense. Now I now this "positive Paula" outlook might not go over well with the Patriot Pimps of this board, but damnit, this will get better!

It's true the season is only 25% completed. It's also true that the Pats have started this bad before and wound up winning it all. but this season just feels different. The level of miscommunication, especially on defense, is unprecedented. Several very good players are having seasons that so far qualify as mediocre. The new guys from Buffalo are, at the present time, not earning their paychecks, especially Gilmore. Regardless of how good a runner he is, Gillislee is not the battering ram up the middle that Blount was, and it shows on third and short. BB may be able to fix the leaky boat, but only as long as the number of leaks don't continue to multiply.

That's one hell of an understatement. For comparison's sake, the 2003 passing defense gave up 11 touchdowns in the entire year.

There's a decent chance that we may have given up more through the first four games. If not, it's getting pretty close.

4@KC
2@NO
2@Hou
3@Car

So its already 11.

At least we have the Red Sox, if god forbid, the Pats miss the playoffs. Can anyone check and see when they last lost three or more at home in a season. I feel like it was 02 or 2000.

2006 was the last time - lost to the donks, clots and jets at home
2005 - lost to the chargers, clots and fins at home
2002 - lost to the packers, donks and jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand