PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A chance for a win-win with EXTENDING BENNETT now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
with extension period possibly coming
i was thinking - why not extend Bennett in a win -win deal?

am I missing something or would extension like 6 +20 benefit both parties?
Bennett receives another million and Pats get probably 3rd compensatory pick.

if this works one million seems to be a cheap way to earn a 3rd round draft pick
especially with the quality of 2017 draft and comp. picks becoming tradable ...

I don't think that would be a 3rd. 3rd rounders are given out for guys like Revis, Talib for north of 10M a year.

with extension period possibly coming
i was thinking - why not extend Bennett in a win -win deal?

am I missing something or would extension like 6 +20 benefit both parties?
Bennett receives another million and Pats get probably 3rd compensatory pick.

if this works one million seems to be a cheap way to earn a 3rd round draft pick
How do you gets conp pick by extending him? And what does 6 + 20 mean?

How do you gets conp pick by extending him? And what does 6 + 20 mean?

something similar like with Revis
because i was not sure if NE gets a comp pick if he leaves in FA on current deal
it was just a question not a proposition though

@Elijah
you're right I got carried away but it was just for speculation
4th or 5th would not be bad either (especially since they become tradable -
remember how 6s and 7s become 4th ...)

Last edited:
Like others, I'm not sure I follow you. The Patriots would only get a compensatory pick if he left as a free agent after next year and then it would be for the 2018 draft. It could only be a 3rd rounder if he signed a megadeal elsewhere ( think Revisesque). How would extending him get this outcome??
More importantly there are other players like Collins, Hightower, Butler, Sheard who need extensions first....

I would love to see Bennett re signed but to a long term deal where he and Gronk destroy league the next four to five years. And o believe that by the halfway point of this season every Patriot fan will want the same. I would have said after September but with Brady uncertain will give it the extra for games. The only offensive addition who has a similar impact was Moss, Bennett will make their two TE/ NASCAR offense unstoppable. It will be costly but they need to get it done.

sorry to all for opening this stupid thread
it seems last night drinking and severe case of NFL draught got the better of me

PS
@Ivan - Id like that also but i dont think it will be realistic to keep two top TEs
but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Maybe he should catch a pass for us first before we start talking extension?

I also agree with others, there are defensive studs that need contract work before we do anything with Bennett.

While I can understand that point of view you make deals with those willing to make deals and imo the Patriots are going to have a really difficult time signing the big free agents they habe because of the idiotic deals that were made this past free agency. If Collins and Hightower wanted 50-60 million they would be done, I think they are now demanding 90 million and Von Miller will only make it worse. I think they should let those negotiations sit and start signing the reasonable players. I think they can get Ninkovich, Vollmer, Solder, and some others licked up for a couple more years, and if Long and Knighton look good do the same with them. If they can get Hightower done then tag Collins, Butler isn't even on the radar right now. If Bennett is reasonable and they can extend then by all means do it, they should not let the process be held hostage by a couple of players who want idiotic money.

sorry to all for opening this stupid thread
it seems last night drinking and severe case of NFL draught got the better of me

PS
@Ivan - Id like that also but i dont think it will be realistic to keep two top TEs
but stranger things have happened.

Belichick showed his desire for exactly that when he signed the murderer to his big deal, I think he would love to do just that The question will be the money.

I say extend whoever you can now.

Be it Bennett, Collins, Hightower, Butler or Sheard.

There is no certainty that just cause you will you will be able to sign any of them at a fair price.

Maybe someone comes in 9 months from now and offers Collins/Hightower 15 a year. Do we match the over priced offer? BB does not over pay (the only exceptions have been Mankins/McCouty IMO) and i think only Mankins was a large over payment.

For all we know (besides Butler) they could all be gone unless we start extending now and maybe in the end Bennett is the only one willing to talk now and the only one we can keep on fair money no matter what we do.

Also they can and will find the money for everyone as long as the deal is fair if they want to.

On a side not the Pats have 105 in cap commitments. If they cut Amendola/Kline that is close to 97.

This will give the Pats nearly 70M to play with (60M if you count draft picks, FAs, bottom roster, emergency fund & carry over cap savings).

Signing Bennett to an 8M/year contract should not stop you signing the other 3 must sign FAs and possibly upping Butler provided you think the deals are fair.

Last edited:
ok let me post this again here

just to make sure - if Bennett leaves in FA on a current deal and signs a big deal elsewhere NE gets a high comp pick for 2018?
which translates into - NE gets top 5 TE from Chicago for 5m$ + 6th rd 2016 pick (which was a key part of the trades resulting in 4th rd 2017 pick) + possible 3rd-5th rd comp 2018 pick that is tradable -- all this in exchange for a 4th 2016 pick
that must be a deal of the decade - especially if the unstoppable TE duo comes true on the field

I say extend whoever you can now.

Be it Bennett, Collins, Hightower, Butler or Sheard.

There is no certainty that just cause you will you will be able to sign any of them at a fair price.

Maybe someone comes in 9 months from now and offers Collins/Hightower 15 a year. Do we match the over priced offer? BB does not over pay (the only exceptions have been Mankins/McCouty IMO) and i think only Mankins was a large over payment.

For all we know (besides Butler) they could all be gone unless we start extending now and maybe in the end Bennett is the only one willing to talk now and the only one we can keep on fair money no matter what we do.

Also they can and will find the money for everyone as long as the deal is fair if they want to.

On a side not the Pats have 105 in cap commitments. If they cut Amendola/Kline that is close to 97.

This will give the Pats nearly 70M to play with (60M if you count draft picks, FAs, bottom roster, emergency fund & carry over cap savings).

Signing Bennett to an 8M/year contract should not stop you signing the other 3 must sign FAs and possibly upping Butler provided you think the deals are fair.

Agree completely. Unfortunately The market is out of control and every current franchise player and impending free agent is now looking at 90-100 million dollar deals as the baseline for them. That being the case they need to start lockout hop those they can and whittle it down to those they can't sign before free agency begins next spring.

I think extending him sends the wrong message in the locker-room and places value on him before he goes out to earn it....and is just a bad business decision.

I would not do it...

I think extending him sends the wrong message in the locker-room and places value on him before he goes out to earn it....and is just a bad business decision.

I would not do it...

I understand people feeling that way I just think they will see it very differently this fall, we'll see?

Bennett, someone who has done zilch in a Patriots uniform, is nowhere near the top of the list of important guys to extend, IMO. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the thread or its OP, but that's just the simple fact. We are all assuming Bennett will be great in this offense, and I'm certainly not suggesting I'm not optimistic, but c'mon. The guy has not done it yet in our uniform. Let's see how things play out in training camp at least before we start calling for the financial guys to just start hammering out new contracts for unproven Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back