PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

a Cam - Tebow connection?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As we get closer to opening day and wondering what we can expect from the Pats offense, this might provide a clue. I just read this over at PFT and thought it was interesting enough to start a discussion. The premise was this. Josh McDaniel created an offense designed strictly for Tebow's running and passing skill. Though he was fired before he could implemen it, the Broncos used this offense and Tebow led it into the playoffs. Now though Tebow and Cam have similar characteristics in their games as run threats, Cam is an infinitely more talented QB than Tebow. And so the premise goes, the Pats could be very "scary" with Cam at the controls of this offense. Here's a quote from their PFT post.

As one source with knowledge of the situation has explained it to PFT, McDaniels developed a specific system in Denver for Tebow. It makes it hard to defend quarterback runs and it opens up the passing game. Also, with proper blocking, the quarterback isn’t put in harm’s way. As the source put it, that could make Cam “scary” in New England.

I file this into the "unknown but will be interesting to watch" category. All signs point to huge potential for Cam in New England. Most of the negative takes relate to Cam running TFB's offense, and are off-base for that reason. This will be a different offense than we're used to seeing, and who knows what that might mean for some of our receivers. Cam has elevated middling receiving talent in the past.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it will play out.

On an unrelated side note: I'm looking forward to this season in a way unlike any in a long time. Winning it all isn't really something I hope for this year, so I'm just enjoying the ride of seeing what the team comes up with. And every win will feel great, rather than a relief.

This is why I said the hand wringing over the offense might be moot. If it was still Brady’s offense then yes the roster absolutely reeks- and it would if he was still here. It’s not though and shouldn’t be compared to what a Brady offense needs.

Very interesting and very good point...i start to feel excited to see this Patriots team on the field...still 23 hours...;)

012716-14-NFL-Tebow-Newton-OB-PI.vr-66465679b7882510VgnVCM100000d7c1a8c0____.jpg

What could go wrong?

As we get closer to opening day and wondering what we can expect from the Pats offense, this might provide a clue. I just read this over at PFT and thought it was interesting enough to start a discussion. The premise was this. Josh McDaniel created an offense designed strictly for Tebow's running and passing skill. Though he was fired before he could implemen it, the Broncos used this offense and Tebow led it into the playoffs. Now though Tebow and Cam have similar characteristics in their games as run threats, Cam is an infinitely more talented QB than Tebow. And so the premise goes, the Pats could be very "scary" with Cam at the controls of this offense. Here's a quote from their PFT post.
I read your post this morning and just saw Florio with the same comment. Was curious if it came from PFT or coincidence.
NFL Rumors: Cam Newton-led Patriots could run 'scary' Tim Tebow-style offense

I have a hard time believing the offensive coaching staff will incorporate a QB run-heavy offense given Cam's injury history. Not to mention, the guy is a pretty darn good passer of the ball, too.

For a team that changes their "identity" week to week to take advantage of the weakness of their opponent, people actually think that they would not change their play style over a whole off-season (granted a bizarre off-season, but an off-season nontheless) to take advantage of the strengths of their new QB who has been in the league for years and at times done very well?

I am sure McDaniels actually had a plan when he took Tebow where he did. I also think Tebow was so bad that it would not have mattered even for the best of plans. As others have pointed out I just don't see how any scheme or plan could keep a QB out of harm's way when it contains designed runs.

There is just inherently more danger for any QB once he is on the move relative to operating from the pocket.

I have a hard time believing the offensive coaching staff will incorporate a QB run-heavy offense given Cam's injury history. Not to mention, the guy is a pretty darn good passer of the ball, too.

I think it is way more likely we will be moving towards more of a Shanahan/McVay zone scheme type of style than an actual QB run-heavy type. McVay and Shanahan seemed both to be able to produce a lot of offense out of average-to-good players.

Of more relevance is the RPO offense that Lamar Jackson and other QBs have validated the last 3 years. Pretty sure Belichick has studied this in the off-season and feels good about Cam. Should be as revolutionary as the 2007 new offense with slot receiver option routes.

LOL I called it like a week ago

I predict we see Cam in a Pistol Formation at some point tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don’t see the connection to Lamar. Completely different QB and runner. We also don’t have the TE personnel right now to mimic that offense. But I think we’ll run it plenty and dominate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots