PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

75 Hours To the Dustin Keller Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sunday June 1st - - anyone have their antennae up?

So, fill me in....what's the significance of june 1?

I'd love for this to happen. I don't know what his health is at this stage but with an incentive laden contract it should/could be a win win and I don't think we can have enough TE depth as of June 1st

Obviously up until his injury he was productive 16 games a season going back to 2008

This is the perfect place for him to jump start his career again

I really hope so. We desperately need some more depth there. The TE depth on the team after Gronkowski is pitiful. They need another veteran presence.

We desperately need some more depth there. The TE depth on the team after Gronkowski is pitiful.

Disagree. It isn 't pitiful, it is just a tad below average for the NFL.

I really hope so. We desperately need some more depth there. The TE depth on the team after Gronkowski is pitiful. They need another veteran presence.

I think veteran presence is the one thing this TE corps has covered. Hoomanuwanui is entering his 5th season and D.J. Williams his 4th; both have reputations as hard-working, high-character leaders. The problem is that they have 46 career catches between them. :(

TE talent was scarce on the ground this off-season, both in FA and the draft. IF Keller is able to return to anything close to his former level, he'd certainly be welcome.

Disagree. It isn 't pitiful, it is just a tad below average for the NFL.
Its even less than that if the Pats decide that they won't be using 2 TE's as a major formation this year.

The more I think on it, the more I can see us giving LaFell the routes that Hernandez used to run. They both have the same length and catch radius. Hernandez was heavier and had quicker feet, but LaFell is faster. It would be like we had before with Welker and Hernandez, when you had 2 slot guys, but with vastly different sizes and skill sets

I doubt BB would time a signing according to something as insignificant as when comp picks are calculated. Timing a cut...sure. To spread out the cap hit. But delay a signing to maybe get a higher day 3 pick? Nah.

If Keller isn't signed yet I think the best case scenario would be that it's to give him more time to heal. Or worst case, it ain't gonna happen, period.

I doubt BB would time a signing according to something as insignificant as when comp picks are calculated. Timing a cut...sure. To spread out the cap hit. But delay a signing to maybe get a higher day 3 pick? Nah.

If Keller isn't signed yet I think the best case scenario would be that it's to give him more time to heal. Or worst case, it ain't gonna happen, period.

I think it would make good sense to wait (if that is what the Pats are doing). Of course, there is the chance that Keller could sign elsewhere, but as it stand right now, the Pats are in line for at least one, maybe even two decent comp picks next year.

The only two signings that count against the Pats are: LaFell and Browner (players that were cut by their previous team do not count against in the free agent signed/lost formula (i.e.: Revis). Meanwhile the Pats have lost: Talib (to a big money deal), Spikes, Fletcher, and Blount. Talib might bring a third round comp pick, if you figure LaFell and Browner cancel out Blount and Spikes, Fletcher might bring a late round pick. If they signed Keller now, that late round pick would be gone, and the potential 3rd round pick for Talib would be downgraded a round or two. SO yes, it is good business to wait (if that is what they are doing).

It's all speculation, but I disagree. It wouldn't be a consideration in a significant signing, as we saw with Revis, Browner and LaFell. But it's not worth giving up a draft pick for the chance to sign a bubble player who is far from certain to make the team, and who would be likely to still be around after June 1.

I totally disagree. I think this is exactly the type of thing that Belichick thinks about, especially in the case of a player who is at high risk for injury/decline.

It's all speculation, but I disagree. It wouldn't be a consideration in a significant signing, as we saw with Revis, Browner and LaFell. But it's not worth giving up a draft pick for the chance to sign a bubble player who is far from certain to make the team, and who would be likely to still be around after June 1.

Especially if other teams are of the same mindset about the player. If everyone is waiting until after June 1st for pick compensation reasons, there's no reason to put a rush on a player who (like you said) isn't a lock to make the roster.

That said, I haven't seen anything that points to the Patriots being definitely interested in Keller after his visit. It's equally likely they haven't signed him yet because they weren't that impressed with his visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down