PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5th-year Option decisions due May 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

maineman209

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
This applies to players who were draft in the first round of 2015. Those players whose options are NOT picked up become UFAs at the end of the 2018 season (their 4th). The Pats players affected are:

Malcolm Brown (#32), DT = $7.154M
Danny Shelton (#12), DT = $7.154M

Phillip Dorsett (#29), WR = $9.387M

Joel Corry (via CBS) has a detailed explanation at the link below, including the chart showing the differences between the option salary amounts for players who were drafted in the Top-10 versus those who were drafted from #11 thru #32.

For many positions, the difference is substantial. For example, an RB drafted in the Top-10 would receive $9.630M. That same RB drafted at #11 would command only $5.605M for his fifth year. Kinda makes me wonder why any team would draft an RB before pick #11.

Agent's Take: Here's a fifth-year-option forecast for every 2015 first-round draft pick

Most likely will be an either/or situation for Brown and Shelton and Dorsett will be a goner. Those are my guesses.

I wonder if Brown is a trade candidate. The cost to aquire Shelton was small, but I assume he'll have his option picked up.

Most likely will be an either/or situation for Brown and Shelton and Dorsett will be a goner. Those are my guesses.

Meaning they'll opt for either Brown or Shelton, but not both? They play almost two different positions, really, and $7.15M apiece doesn't seem like an outrageous amount.

IDK if Dorsett is gone gone at the end of Camp (yet), or at the end of 2018 if he sticks around this season. But, yeah, the $9.4M ain't happenin'.

Meaning they'll opt for either Brown or Shelton, but not both? They play almost two different positions, really, and $7.15M apiece doesn't seem like an outrageous amount.

IDK if Dorsett is gone gone at the end of Camp (yet), or at the end of 2018 if he sticks around this season. But, yeah, the $9.4M ain't happenin'.

With the amount of time they spend in the nickel, I can't see them picking up the 5th year option on both guys. They'll pick it up on the one that has the better season and let the other one ride out into the sunset and try to replace him on the cheap via the draft.

I wonder if Brown is a trade candidate. The cost to aquire Shelton was small, but I assume he'll have his option picked up.

Trade Brown this year? Seems doubtful. Both might have significantly more trade value in 2019 - if their options are picked up.

With the amount of time they spend in the nickel, I can't see them picking up the 5th year option on both guys. They'll pick it up on the one that has the better season and let the other one ride out into the sunset and try to replace him on the cheap via the draft.

They have to decide on their options by THIS May 3rd. They can't wait to see who has a better season in 2018. Anyway, let's say Brown has a "breakout" season in 2018. How do we know it isn't due to the fact that he's finally had a really, really good, young NT playing beside him?

They have to decide on their options by THIS May 3rd. They can't wait to see who has a better season in 2018. Anyway, let's say Brown has a "breakout" season in 2018. How do we know it isn't due to the fact that he's finally had a really, really good, young NT playing beside him?

They can pick up the option on both and rescind it for one of them, if they choose. The danger there is that the player might suffer a long-term injury in the time in between, but they might be willing to do that.

I agree; I would pick up the options on both Brown & Shelton, but not on Dorsett.

They can pick up the option on both and rescind it for one of them, if they choose. The danger there is that the player might suffer a long-term injury in the time in between, but they might be willing to do that.
How long does a team have to rescind an option once it's been picked-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back