PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 Draft Day scenarios for players with NFL tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Cousins, Let's face it. The Pats Draft Team is mediocre at best. I am not throwing BB under that bus. He is not the scout, just the "O.K." guy. The Draft day lieutenants he has should be under the category of "agonizing re-appraisal" for what has happened here the last few years.
BB is much better analyzing talent with actual NFL tape that has underachieved in the NFL or were put into NFL Siberia.
Here are 5 Draft week Trades that would help bolster the Roster because it is not unreasonable to determine our cupboards are bear of talent.
TRADE#1
Mentioned this in my Mock Draft:
>Our #23 in the first and our #100 in the third
> The Rams give us second-round pick #52 and #57 (we need badly) and TE Tyler Higbee.
> The Trade Chart value=150 or a lower 3rd for Higbee (top ten TE in 2019)
TRADE#2
> Our #23 in the first and our #100 in the third
>The Bucs give us #45 in the second and #76 in the third plus TE O.J. Howard
>The Trade Chart Value =100 or a bottom end third for Howard\
TRADE#3
> Our #23 in the first, G Joe Thuney and RB Sony Michel
> The Jaguars give us pick #9 plus RB Leonard Fornette
> This would give us the power back we need for a QB who would be more of a game minder ala Brady in 2001 with 235lb Antowain Smith (1157 yards and 12 TDs) if Stidham is in the Driver's seat. Plus that #9 pick is a blue-chip player and besides, we have to move Thuney for CAP.
> Michel makes the deal fair enough to replace Fournette.
> The Jags would own Thuney for the equivalent of a high second-rounder
> The Jags want to move Fournette now.
> I would foresee moving Wynn to LG and Drafting an OT high. This is a great year to Draft an OT.
TRADE#4
>Our #23 in the first, our #87 in the third, our #213 in the 6th plus G Joe Thuney
> NY Giants #4 pick
> Why would they? Judge knows what he's got in Thuney over a Draft pick and the predicted move is O line for the Giants in 2020 Draft.
> BB takes a QB or Downtrades with...say the Chargers. for a plethora of picks
> CAP move with Thuney here.
TRADE#5
> Our #23 in the first, our #212 in the 6th, our#213 in the 6th and G Joe Thuney
>The Raiders #19 pick in the first plus QB Derek Carr (Carr was solid in 2019 with a percentage of over 70% completion and over 4,000 yards). No comparison if the BB mantra is "what's best for the Team".
> The Raiders have "0" picks after Round 5.
> Gruden and Mayock just bought Mariota and he's cheaper than Carr. they would like to move him.
> Carr is a fairly inexpensive salary for a productive QB and Thuney trade with his CAP helps.
> Upgrade over the unproven Stidham?......NFL experience.

O.K. ...............Torture me
DW Toys

Last edited:
Cousins, Let's face it. The Pats Draft Team is mediocre at best. I am not throwing BB under that bus. He is not the scout, just the "O.K." guy. The Draft day lieutenants he has should be under the category of "agonizing re-appraisal" for what has happened here the last few years.
BB is much better analyzing talent with actual NFL tape that has underachieved in the NFL or were put into NFL Siberia.
Here are 5 Draft week Trades that would help bolster the Roster because it is not unreasonable to determine our cupboards are bear of talent.
TRADE#1
Mentioned this in my Mock Draft:
>Our #23 in the first and our #100 in the third
> The Rams give us second-round pick #52 and #57 (we need badly) and TE Tyler Higbee.
> The Trade Chart value=150 or a lower 3rd for Higbee (top ten TE in 2019)
TRADE#2
> Our #23 in the first and our #100 in the third
>The Bucs give us #45 in the second and #76 in the third plus TE O.J. Howard
>The Trade Chart Value =100 or a bottom end third for Howard\
TRADE#3
> Our #23 in the first, G Joe Thuney and RB Sony Michel
> The Jaguars give us pick #9 plus RB Leonard Fornette

> This would give us the power back we need for a QB more of a game minder ala Brady in 2001 like Antowain Smith (1157 yards and 12 TDs) if Stidham is in the Driver's seat. Plus that #9 pick is a blue-chip player and we have to move Thuney for CAP.
> Michel makes the deal fair enough to replace Fornette.
> The Jags would own Thuney for the equivalent of a high second-rounder
> The Jags want to move Fornette now.
> I would foresee moving Wynne to LG and Drafting an OT high. This is a great year to Draft an OT.
TRADE#4
>Our #23 in the first, our #87 in the third, our #213 in the 6th plus G Joe Thuney
> NY Giants #4 pick
> Why would they? Judge knows what he's got in Thuney over a Draft pick and the predicted move is O line for the Giants in 2020 Draft.
> BB takes a QB or Downtrades with...say the Chargers. for a plethora of picks
> CAP move with Thuney
TRADE#5
> Our #23 in the first, our #212 in the 6th, our#213 in the 6th and G Joe Thuney
>The Raiders #19 pick in the first plus QB Derek Carr (Carr was solid in 2019 with a percentage of over 70% completion and over 4,000 yards). No comparison if the BB mantra is "what's best for the Team".
> Gruden and Mayock just bought Mariota and he's cheaper than Carr. they would like to move him.
> Carr is a fairly inexpensive salary for a productive QB and Thuney trade with his CAP helps.

O.K. ...............Torture me
DW Toys
Thanks for your ideas. Especially trade no 3 would be really nice, but i highly doubt that this is enough value. Would probably like to get Kinlaw at 9 let Wynn LT and draft a C/G in the third.

Thanks for your ideas. Especially trade no 3 would be really nice, but i highly doubt that this is enough value. Would probably like to get Kinlaw at 9 let Wynn LT and draft a C/G in the third.

getting kinlaw would be a massive win for bb. That guy is perfect for our defense.

however, I still think Wynn is going to be a solid left tackle, if he can stay healthy.

if we unload thuney, brederson from Michigan would make a perfect replacement.

maybe we could convert frodholtz to a backup center, but from what little I saw last year, he needs a lot of work to become to become an nfl back up!

getting kinlaw would be a massive win for bb. That guy is perfect for our defense.

however, I still think Wynn is going to be a solid left tackle, if he can stay healthy.

if we unload thuney, brederson from Michigan would make a perfect replacement.

maybe we could convert frodholtz to a backup center, but from what little I saw last year, he needs a lot of work to become to become an nfl back up!
Yeah Bredeson would be nice. I would rather have Kinlaw than moving Wynn to LG and draft a T there, cause i think we can replace Thuney otherwise.

Edit: Would like to see Fournette here instead of Michel

This is a great year to Draft an OT.

>The Raiders #19 pick in the first plus QB Derek Carr (Carr was solid in 2019 with a percentage of over 70% completion and over 4,000 yards).

I like those trades.

Why would the Jags trade for Thuney if it's a great year to simply draft an OT?

People will kill you for suggesting Carr, but I don't think he's a bad candidate to run the short/intermediate middle-of-the-field passing system we have.

Well, at least there's no "trade Hightower for a bucket of chicken" in here this time.

Yeah Bredeson would be nice. I would rather have Kinlaw than moving Wynn to LG and draft a T there, cause i think we can replace Thuney otherwise.

Edit: Would like to see Fournette here instead of Michel
I like Michel, but wouldn’t mind seeing Fournette here either. Better player overall. Only thing is we own Sony’s rights (contract-wise) for another year. Also, I question Fournette’s character (from what I’ve heard). Swap a Haitian RB for better Haitian RB.

Last edited:
I like most of the trades but the one I have doubts about is 5 or basically Thuney plus two six's for Carr. I guess it depends about how one reads Carr, but I think I would say no to this one and probably yes to all the others.

Cousins, Let's face it. The Pats Draft Team is mediocre at best. I am not throwing BB under that bus.
Don't worry about it, I will. Had they drafted better, they would've won close to 10 Super Bowls. During their 10 year drought, they didn't have many needs, but it seemed like they were continualy ignored.

Cousin Toys, you're the contrarian tradester, but even you haven't envisaged the Pats in a draft-day trade for Josh Rosen. He still looks like an NFL quarterback to me.

Cousin Toys, you're the contrarian tradester, but even you haven't envisaged the Pats in a draft-day trade for Josh Rosen. He still looks like an NFL quarterback to me.

Mike, We have had our back and forths for many years with some agreement and some not. I agree with you on Rosen. If I recall, Josh was very high on him coming out. Just not enough capital to get there.

No offense to Stidham but his senior tape was awful. Would I take a shot with Rosen now that BB has cleared the deck to add another QB? Yep.

I have seen the tape on Love....eh!. I like Hurts better because he has been a leader in two high profile systems.

A sleeper in Oregon State quarterback Jake Luton. 28 TDs and 3 int. He had a real good WR there in Isaiah Hodgins who should get Drafted.

All in all if BB is true to his mantra of "We thought he could help our Team".....it's none of these.

Put a gun to my head and I would say Hurts. Everyone wants a mobile QB today. Remember BB had a mobile QB in Bishop at one time. That experiment did not work. Tebow had a cup of coffee.

I do NOT like Jameis Winston, nor am I a Fan, but the truth is if we [pick him up he will win more games for this organization than Stidham if you can get him on a two year backloaded deal. Give him the opportunity to win the job. I've watched his tape. He had Lasik done. Wouldn't that be ironic if that fixed him even somewhat? The kid is only 26. He might be easier to fix than Rosen and you'd have to trade with the Phins to get Rosen.

Here is the real reason this could be a story within the story.
Would not BB and Winston want to show the world they are better than TB and the Bucs? Isn't that a major story? Every game will be dissected.
I would consider Newton as well but I like him less. Still take him over what we have in the QB room.

DW Toys

Thank you for that, @DW Toys

I encouraged myself by watching Stidham's first pre-season start against the Lions. He really did make some lovely throws. But even I could see that he needed time and protection to do it. If McDaniels and BB think they can let him steer the ship, I'm not going to argue.

Edelman tells the story that BB once said to him that he (BB) had forgotten more about football than he (Edelman) would ever know. I'm going to guess that the same is true for Edelman with me -- so where does that leave me in relation to BB? ;)

Be well, Mike

TRADE#5

He has experience, but is it worth $19M?

No offense to Stidham but his senior tape was awful. Would I take a shot with Rosen now that BB has cleared the deck to add another QB? Yep.

Rosen has a $1.4M fully-guaranteed roster bonus due in TC this year, and $2.1M, again fully-guaranteed, due next year.

Also, remember that they looked at Brian Hoyer, who had 9 TDs his senior year (9!) and said, "Yeah, this is a guy we want."

I like those trades.

Why would the Jags trade for Thuney if it's a great year to simply draft an OT?

People will kill you for suggesting Carr, but I don't think he's a bad candidate to run the short/intermediate middle-of-the-field passing system we have.

Glad you asked Cousin,
It appears talks have stalled with Thuney. I think they are half hearted with a trade option in mind. Bill already has an $9mm RG. It's not in his DNA to pay lineman a ton (see Logan Mankins). You have to pay Thuney $14.78mm and oh by the way, Marcus Cannon is at $6.48 mm which is way too high for his 2019 performance.
The Jags have some CAP space. Their biggest need is OL interior. He would automatically be the best OL they have.

IMO Wynn to LG and Draft an OT . The other option is FA Kelvin Beachum.I think with so many top OT's in the Draft, Teams are waiting on Beachum. I am still of the school of "is that Draftee who you don't have NFL tape on better than a proven player"?

"When healthy, Kelvin Beachum delivered in both run and pass protection He helped keep the pocket relatively clean and Darnold off his back more often than not". The Jets want to get younger. "Kelvin Beachum has served as New York’s starting left tackle for the last two years. He performed well as Sam Darnold’s blindside protector, but has battled a bevy of injuries and isn’t getting any younger". He had two ankle injuries and he is 31, same age as Cannon.

Experience is valuable. Is Cajuste the answer? Is Eluemunor the answer at G? We traded a 4th round pick for the Dude......Should we spend high round Draft Capital for an OT?

I would say Beachum was better than Cannon in 2019. You might pay Beachum $5-$6mm ??? He was making $8mm with the Jets. It buys us time.

Now getting the #9 pick from the Jags was a little bit lusty. It could cost us ....say our third round #100 as well.....but it is a good trade for both Teams.

Carr is an interesting case. His numbers on a weak team with as crappy receivers in whole as we did, were impressive. A couple years ago he pushed the Raiders to the playoffs until he broke his leg the last game of the season.

He is not a Grudenor Mayock guy. He can be had. He is still young. Dude is only 29.

All the naysayers....ask the question; Who gives this Patriots Team the best chance to win in 2020...........Stidham or Carr?

This statistic should get everyone on board to at least consider Carr on this forum.
18 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 19 Game-Winning Drives

DW Toys

Last edited:
All the naysayers....ask the question; Who gives this Patriots Team the best chance to win in 2020...........Stidham or Carr?

Except that's not really the question. The question is, "Who gives this Patriots team the best chance to win in 2020: Carr, or Stidham and the players they can get with the $18M difference?"

Except that's not really the question. The question is, "Who gives this Patriots team the best chance to win in 2020: Carr, or Stidham and the players they can get with the $18M difference?"

Taking into account a possible shortened offseason I’m taking stidham.

The patriots would negotiate a new contract with Carr; the $18M difference is an illusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots