PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4th and 1 ertz catch pick play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it wasnt.. the picture clearly shows it is 2 yards past the LOS. The yellow line is not the LOS.

Fairly close, and in full speed, without review, I can't blame the officials for not calling it.

Look at the actual GIF in the post above you. The LOS is at about the 45.5 yard line. McCourty gets picked at the 47.

It is what it is though. I'm sure if we dig into it objectively, we'll probably find a non-call of that type that the Patriots benefited from. It's amazing for as bad as the defense played last night, the Pats were even in position to win this thing. The Pats offense pretty much roasted the Eagles defense, save for one play ("other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?").

Correct. In full speed and no replay, I can't blame the official for not throwing a flag.

Fairly close, and in full speed, without review, I can't blame the officials for not calling it.

Yeah, I am actually fine with the call because Chung had contact on the Eagles player that picked DMac. For me personally a pick has to be really blatant to be OPI. Unfortunately there is little consistency when it comes to that.

Look at the actual GIF in the post above you. The LOS is at about the 45.5 yard line. McCourty gets picked at the 47.

It is what it is though. I'm sure if we dig into it objectively, we'll probably find a non-call of that type that the Patriots benefited from. It's amazing for as bad as the defense played last night, the Pats were even in position to win this thing. The Pats offense pretty much roasted the Eagles defense, save for one play ("other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?").

It's borderline, but the Patriots run this concept all the time and are very rarely flagged on it except in the most blatant circumstances. That kind of pick play is our bread and butter, it's tough for us to complain too much about it.

It was pretty clearly 2 yards down the field:

62BDLET.jpg

Maybe someone else knows the rules better but I have no clue if Chung being in contact with the guy who picked DMac has any relevance to it not being called.
that screen shot a little bothersome. (not the pick play though, just that a stop there would have been nice)

In live action I thought it was an illegal (more than 1 yd beyond LOS) pick but the replay clearly shows he was engaged by a defender, that's not getting called. I did think the illegal formation was far more glaring but it wasn't officiating that decided this one. The D simply didn't get it done.

Rule is within 1 yard of the LOS, not 5, which it was. That was a legal, correct no-call.

LOS was the 45, pick happened at the 47. By my math that's 2 yards which is more than 1.

but it wasn't officiating that decided

While the defense sucked the refs sucked as well.

Had the refs called the illegal formation on the Foles TD catch and called Clement TD incomplete both which would have been proper calls that's 8 point off the board. Because if the Eagles gets backed up 5 yards on the illegal formation they are kicking the FG.

That Clement TD IMO stood because the narrative that came out after the AFCC about the refs and the Pats and then those end zone calls in the jests, steelers and bills games This was Riveron being affected by all that talk.

If the Kelvin Benjamin TD catch was ruled incomplete than for consistency-sake this should have been as well.

LOS was the 45, pick happened at the 47. By my math that's 2 yards which is more than 1.

Easy to read inches on tape... let's see you make that call in full speed, with 22 players in front of you.

Ertz ran directly into McCourty > 1 yard past the LOS without any intention of being a reciever on the play. That is the literal definition of OPI.

The announcers didn't even mention this, either live or on the replay, right?

I'm being overly sensitive here, but if the Patriots had run the same play, Collinsworth would have said "Oh, the Patriots might have gotten away with one there, heh, heh, heh." Then Patriots haters would take to social media crying about the officiating and the game being rigged.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!

Can you imagine what today would be like if Gronk had caught the winning touchdown and dropped it diving into the end zone a la Ertz?

THIS is why the joy is being sucked out of being a Patriots fan (well, this and one other reason, but I won't get political).

Was that a pick play? I think it was, absolutely. Am I mad they missed it? Not really.

Was Foles' TD illegal? Absolutely.

Was Clement's TD a catch? Still don't know.

Was Ertz's TD a catch? Probably.

Is that why they lost. NO!

Would that be "why they won" to anyone not a Patriots fan if it were reversed? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft