PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4th and 1 ertz catch pick play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBigglesWorth

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The last eagles scoring drive.. how blatant was that pick.. any video?

It was pretty clearly 2 yards down the field:

62BDLET.jpg

Maybe someone else knows the rules better but I have no clue if Chung being in contact with the guy who picked DMac has any relevance to it not being called.

Don't know. Overall The Pennsylvania native Steratore had a pretty well called game but, man, he missed a few big ones.

Pats cost themselves this game, though. Totally lost on defense and those special teams miscues ultimately killed them.

Don't know. Overall The Pennsylvania native Steratore had a pretty well called game but, man, he missed a few big ones.

Pats cost themselves this game, though. Totally lost on defense and those special teams miscues ultimately killed them.

He missed an illegal formation on that trick play where Folk scored a touchdown. There were only 6 man on the line.

That was pretty bad and would have been a game-changer.

The Patriots run this exact play quite a bit. Good concept, good execution. The wide receiver didn't initiate contact with the defensive back, he ran his guy into the other one.

Look at the screenshot above. It was a good play by Foles, too, who clearly moved Harmon onto the wheel route for just long enough to prevent him from making a play on the ball.

We can complain and moan about one play...but the overall play of the Pats Defense spoke volumes about why they lost.......that and 4 points in missed kicks......The nail in the coffin just happened to be the strip sack of Brady with time winding down....Pats had numerous chances to shut down the Eagles but couldn't find their ass with both hands....

The Patriots run this exact play quite a bit. Good concept, good execution. The wide receiver didn't initiate contact with the defensive back, he ran his guy into the other one.

Look at the screenshot above. It was a good play by Foles, too, who clearly moved Harmon onto the wheel route for just long enough to prevent him from making a play on the ball.

Exactly. It was just another great play design by the Eagles were Foles knew exactly the two keys on this play. Check what the safety (Harmon does) and then go either after LB (Harrison) on the wheel or the CB who will have to fight through traffic against a crossing TE. If you simplify the game for a QB and he doesnt have to worry about a pass rush any above average player will make those throws.

What really needed to happen here is a stronger hit on the TE at the LoS to throw the timing off.

Exactly. It was just another great play design by the Eagles were Foles knew exactly the two keys on this play. Check what the safety (Harmon does) and then go either after LB (Harrison) on the wheel or the CB who will have to fight through traffic against a crossing TE. If you simplify the game for a QB and he doesnt have to worry about a pass rush any above average player will make those throws.

What really needed to happen here is a stronger hit on the TE at the LoS to throw the timing off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this play was a RPO, right?

What you really needed was a zone concept against it, but Van Noy seemed to get caught playing the run. Had Van Noy been hanging out in the middle of the field and tracking Ertz, it could have forced the more difficult wheel route throw. Instead Van Noy got stoned by Wisniewski and is just sort of dancing near the line of scrimmage doing nothing useful. Flowers actually brought pretty good pressure on this play, it was just good execution of a good playcall.

The announcers didn't even mention this, either live or on the replay, right?

I'm being overly sensitive here, but if the Patriots had run the same play, Collinsworth would have said "Oh, the Patriots might have gotten away with one there, heh, heh, heh." Then Patriots haters would take to social media crying about the officiating and the game being rigged.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this play was a RPO, right?

What you really needed was a zone concept against it, but Van Noy seemed to get caught playing the run. Had Van Noy been hanging out in the middle of the field and tracking Ertz, it could have forced the more difficult wheel route throw. Instead Van Noy got stoned by Wisniewski and is just sort of dancing near the line of scrimmage doing nothing useful. Flowers actually brought pretty good pressure on this play, it was just good execution of a good playcall.

No it was a simple RB out of the backfield into wheel.

I dont know the exact playcall obviously but to my layman brain what needed to happen is M. Flowers on the left edge chipping Ertz when he released from the LOS. Otherwise the way it was drawn up Foles knew that he has either Clement on the wheel if Harmon doesnt oversell there or Ertz on the crossing route because of that pick in the middle.

The unfortunate thing that I pointed out in another thread already is that we were a third of a second from a potential sack/strip. If only M. Flowers had hit the Ertz upon release..

It was within the 5 yards, the play was legal.

Rule is within 1 yard of the LOS, not 5, which it was. That was a legal, correct no-call.

No it was a simple RB out of the backfield into wheel.

I dont know the exact playcall obviously but to my layman brain what needed to happen is M. Flowers on the left edge chipping Ertz when he released from the LOS. Otherwise the way it was drawn up Foles knew that he has either Clement on the wheel if Harmon doesnt oversell there or Ertz on the crossing route because of that pick in the middle.

The unfortunate thing that I pointed out in another thread already is that we were a third of a second from a potential sack/strip. If only M. Flowers had hit the Ertz upon release..

GIF helps. The Van Noy delayed blitz made all the difference. He vacates the zone that would have forced the throw to the wheel route that Harmon had a play on. T. Flowers provided enough pressure that it's unlikely Foles can make a pinpoint throw into tight coverage. If Van Noy had the option to settle in the zone or blitz there, he screwed up the read. If he didn't, Patricia should be shot for the call. Foles saw Van Noy coming straight for him and knew Ertz would probably be open because of the pick.

GIF helps. The Van Noy delayed blitz made all the difference. He vacates the zone that would have forced the throw to the wheel route that Harmon had a play on. T. Flowers provided enough pressure that it's unlikely Foles can make a pinpoint throw into tight coverage. If Van Noy had the option to settle in the zone or blitz there, he screwed up the read. If he didn't, Patricia should be shot for the call.

Good point. KVN would have been in a much better position to disrupt the entire timing than a chip by M. Flowers on the LOS.

He missed an illegal formation on that trick play where Folk scored a touchdown. There were only 6 man on the line.

That was pretty bad and would have been a game-changer.
It was in keeping with the theme of these playoffs though, that the refs kept the whistle in the pocket for the most part. Since we should have known that going in, I'm not going to qestion it too hard if both teams get away with a few things.

Besides, I bet we got away with a few things ourselves.

Rule is within 1 yard of the LOS, not 5, which it was. That was a legal, correct no-call.

Look at the actual GIF in the post above you. The LOS is at about the 45.5 yard line. McCourty gets picked at the 47.

It is what it is though. I'm sure if we dig into it objectively, we'll probably find a non-call of that type that the Patriots benefited from. It's amazing for as bad as the defense played last night, the Pats were even in position to win this thing. The Pats offense pretty much roasted the Eagles defense, save for one play ("other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back