PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Mac Jones Bombshell: Joel Klatt says Mac Jones was the original choice for SF.

such perfect vengeance for how they tried to fleece the Pats for Jimmy G, then didn't act fairly when Pats wanted him back - when they clearly don't want Jimmy G. I love it when a plan comes together.

Now the ship has sailed. Doesn't make sense now for the Pats to get Jimmy. SF probably doesn't care because someone as raw and not ready as Lance, SF needs a year of Jimmy anyways to compete.

Imagine being Alex Smith and have a career as the bridge QB first for Kaepernick and then Mahomes.
Alex Smith was a bust because of horrendous coaching. Smith wasn’t supposed to be a bridge for Kaepernick, he was supposed to be cut. But Harbaugh is a good coach and was finally able to fix Smith during his 1st training camp as coach, and therefore Smith unexpectedly hung onto the job until he got injured in 2012 and Harbaugh used that chance to start his guy.

Completed 67% of his passes at 9.7 yards per clip, 28 TD's with zero INT's is bad accuracy... on what planet?

To much is made about his level of competition. N Dakota is the premier program at that level, they run a pro system and he was asked to read coverages and adjust blocking at a young age. Small school status didn't bother Tony Romo, Carson Wentz or others before them.
Ouch. That is what you call damning someone with faint praise.

I don’t think anyone was taking SF evaluation of Jimmy G at face value I think they were taking Jimmy G being made of glass at face value.
He earned the name Jimmy Glassoppolo.

Now the ship has sailed. Doesn't make sense now for the Pats to get Jimmy. SF probably doesn't care because someone as raw and not ready as Lance, SF needs a year of Jimmy anyways to compete.

Yeah, plus in terms of skillset (quick/accurate release), the patriots just drafted a younger less injury prone Jimmy G.

I'm happy.....BB just sat there and waited for his guy to fall into his arms........Only moved up to grab his 2nd steal !

Ouch. That is what you call damning someone with faint praise.
To be fair, we just took a QB whose most common pro comparison is Kirk Cousins. I would take Romo over Cousins every day of the week.

At the end of the day it sounds like Shanahan wanted Jones and was overruled by Lynch....

Completed 67% of his passes at 9.7 yards per clip, 28 TD's with zero INT's is bad accuracy... on what planet?

To much is made about his level of competition. N Dakota is the premier program at that level, they run a pro system and he was asked to read coverages and adjust blocking at a young age. Small school status didn't bother Tony Romo, Carson Wentz or others before them.

To hype up the kid we got even though if players were switched the talk would be different

Shanahan’s trade up to number 3, could be the biggest overpay we have seen in quite a while!

if lance busts or is just middling, then the entire San Fran organization will be set back fir quite a few years.

Jones was ripped by many here because his team was too good. Lance played on a team 2 seasons ago that was even better than Alabama was, based upon its competition. Lance played against no top defensive backs and safeties. He had forever to throw and when he ran he was a man among boys. It certainly doesn’t mean he is bad. It means you have to take his production with a grain of salt.

Jones was ripped by many here because his team was too good. Lance played on a team 2 seasons ago that was even better than Alabama was, based upon its competition. Lance played against no top defensive backs and safeties. He had forever to throw and when he ran he was a man among boys. It certainly doesn’t mean he is bad. It means you have to take his production with a grain of salt.
And I like lance but you have to ask yourself how well any of the top qb’s would have done with that team, snd how Lance would have done with Alabama.

Lance sucks because he played lesser competition, Mac Jones sucks because he played with good teammates... against great competition. Why do we bother drafting QB’s at all?

This news is comforting.

SF is the same team that owes Jimmy G 48 million the next 2 years.

Lance sucks because he played lesser competition, Mac Jones sucks because he played with good teammates... against great competition. Why do we bother drafting QB’s at all?
Not saying either suck, but I would put up pretty good stats playing qb against a pop Warner team.

I think in the end they couldn't pass on the upside of Lance. Public perception right or wrong came into play. It was the safest pick. CYA move

This news is comforting.

SF is the same team that owes Jimmy G 48 million the next 2 years.
I think Lynch and Shanny Jr have done a decent rebuild job but they seem to be disrespecting Jimmy - underservingly so..

Not saying either suck, but I would put up pretty good stats playing qb against a pop Warner team.
Joe Burrow, Deshaun Watson... all these guys played with high NFL draft pick receiving weapons. Despite that it hasn’t ruined them. All a player can do is play the cards he’s dealt, all Jones did was put up better numbers than Tua with the same weapons.

QB is a cerebral position that relies more on motor skill than athleticism, a guy with good decision making and a beer gut could do the job.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back