PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Mac Jones Bombshell: Joel Klatt says Mac Jones was the original choice for SF.

This is exactly what I figured. The 49ers originally moved up with taking Mac Jones in mind at #3. But somewhere along the line Shanahan got talked out of the pick and talked into taking Lance. On top of that a Mac Jones pick in San Francisco would have been very unpopular with the fans, although a front office probably should NOT let that influence their decision.

Lance has a higher upside because of his athleticism and dual threat ability to run the football. But he also has a higher risk because let's face it at South Dakota he was facing very weak competition. And he had zero tape in 2020 except for 1 throwaway game where he didn't even look good. So the 49ers are counting on getting the Trey Lance of 2019. On top of that he has a hitch to his throw that needs to be fixed by a throwing coach.

Now can all those warts be fixed, and can Lance turn out to be a great QB? Of course he could. But San Francisco carries the burden of this risk, especially since they had to give up 3 1st round picks for the privilege of drafting Trey Lance.

If Mac Jones takes off in New England, and Trey Lance doesn't even beat out Garappolo in training camp... this pick looks absolutely terrible in hindsight. For better or for worse Trey Lance will be compared to Mac Jones and if Lance flops, Jones will be the 'one that got away'. Shanahan will regret second guessing his first instinct, and heads might roll at that 49ers front office.

I can't blame the 49ers for swinging for the fences, but taking Trey Lance is an absolutely RISKY move and it could easily backfire on them. Let's see how this pans out. Years from now we could be taking about the Mac Jones Four. And how Trey Lance turned into Giovanni Carmazzi.

Last edited:
If Mac Jones takes off in New England, and Trey Lance doesn't even beat out Garappolo in training camp... this pick looks absolutely terrible in hindsight. For better or for worse Trey Lance will be compared to Mac Jones and if Lance flops, Jones will be the 'one that got away'. Shanahan will regret second guessing his first instinct, and heads might roll at that 49ers front office.

I can't blame the 49ers for swinging for the fences, but taking Trey Lance is an absolutely RISKY move and it could easily backfire on them. Let's see how this pans out. Years from now we could be taking about the Mac Jones Four. And how Trey Lance turned into Giovanni Carmazzi.

Every QB in this class will be compared to one another.

We will also be watching Fields in Chicago because we were in position to take him, but we did not trade up. At least, we will be comparing Fields to Jones + Our 2022 first round pick.

I also think Davis Mills might make an immediate impact as well....and Mond in 2 years...who knows. I liked both of them very much and think Mills landed in an ideal situation as I don't see Watson playing this year...and Tyrod Taylor being beat out again...poor guy (Josh Allen & Justin Herbert).

true, but can newton complete passes or is he going to continue to throw balls into the ground?

We can all look up how many of his passes from last year were completions.
Throwing the ball into the ground isn't captured on a stat sheet.
I'd wager there aren't 10 that can be found on game tape.

Trey Lance wasn't deemed good enough to play at the top college level coming out of high school. He excelled in college at a much lower level of play.

Trey Lance went to North Dakota State, that's not Division 2. Same school as Wentz, same competition level as Jimmy G, Romo, Kurt Warner, McNair, Flacco, Pennington. It is not weird for a quarterback to come from that level.

"Joel Klatt says!!!"...and then I farted, lost interest and watched Joel Klatt's sister $uck a golfball thru a garden hose...I mean, yeah...earth shaking super-knowers of things like Joel Klatt are rare indeed...like a forest full of babbling brooks...krist, give us some real NFL action before I get homicidal with these feces flingers...

This is exactly what I figured. The 49ers originally moved up with taking Mac Jones in mind at #3. But somewhere along the line Shanahan got talked out of the pick and talked into taking Lance. On top of that a Mac Jones pick in San Francisco would have been very unpopular with the fans, although a front office probably should NOT let that influence their decision.

Lance has a higher upside because of his athleticism and dual threat ability to run the football.
It's the complete opposite. Lance's "upside" is all in the pocket. Playing with better anticipation, learning the read & adjust to coverages, it's all in the pocket. "Upside" is something you can improve on and attain. Lance might become a savvy runner but he's not getting much more athletic or w/e. He already has that skill/gift. Sorry it's not just you, everyone confuses what it means.
But he also has a higher risk because let's face it at South Dakota he was facing very weak competition. And he had zero tape in 2020 except for 1 throwaway game where he didn't even look good. So the 49ers are counting on getting the Trey Lance of 2019. On top of that he has a hitch to his throw that needs to be fixed by a throwing coach.
Its not a hitch, back stroke is a bit longer than others. Looks like a hitch.
Now can all those warts be fixed, and can Lance turn out to be a great QB? Of course he could. But San Francisco carries the burden of this risk, especially since they had to give up 3 1st round picks for the privilege of drafting Trey Lance.

SF is a sh|tshow but Lance is a great prospect. They're out of control and it will come to a head soon if they're not at least seriously contending. They got a good one though.

Trey Lance went to North Dakota State, that's not Division 2. Same school as Wentz, same competition level as Jimmy G, Romo, Kurt Warner, McNair, Flacco, Pennington. It is not weird for a quarterback to come from that level.
There are lots and lots of d1 schools. Trey Lance wasn’t graded good enough to play for any of them. Of the hundreds of nfl qb’s since you started your list, you can only come up with 6 from that level?? Not great support there

Lance has a higher upside because of his athleticism and dual threat ability to run the football. But he also has a higher risk because let's face it at South Dakota he was facing very weak competition. And he had zero tape in 2020 except for 1 throwaway game where he didn't even look good. So the 49ers are counting on getting the Trey Lance of 2019. On top of that he has a hitch to his throw that needs to be fixed by a throwing coach.

Lance's last performance, his only game of the season, was a throwaway in his lower division. Mac Jones's last game was his star turn winning the national championship on his team that never lost. This makes him a good value pick where they got him.

Trey Lance may well end up being a better nfl QB then Jones will be. He was not a better qb than Mac was last season however, and he never played at as high a level as Jones did last year.

There are lots and lots of d1 schools. Trey Lance wasn’t graded good enough to play for any of them. Of the hundreds of nfl qb’s since you started your list, you can only come up with 6 from that level?? Not great support there.
He wasn't recruited as a quarterback to Power 5 schools, but he was "graded" well enough to play D1 -- whatever that means. And he played D1, just FCS or 1-AA as it used to be known. He wanted to play for Minnesota, who haven't had a QB drafted since the early 70s, but they passed over him for scrubs and so instead he went to a team that has had their last three starting QBs drafted. College coaches are not infallible. Doesn't seem to me like you have a good handle on this subject matter.

He wasn't recruited as a quarterback to Power 5 schools, but he was "graded" well enough to play D1 -- whatever that means. And he played D1, just FCS or 1-AA as it used to be known. He wanted to play for Minnesota, who haven't had a QB drafted since the early 70s, but they passed over him for scrubs and so instead he went to a team that has had their last three starting QBs drafted. College coaches are not infallible. Doesn't seem to me like you have a good handle on this subject matter.
Playing at a lower level and basically only playing one year two years ago should raise flags to everyone. If you don’t understand that I can’t help you anymore. It certainly doesn’t mean he isn’t going to be good, and I would have been happy if he had fallen to the pats, but I would be a lot more worried about his bust potential than I am with Jones.

Playing at a lower level and basically only playing one year two years ago should raise flags to everyone. If you don’t understand that I can’t help you anymore. It certainly doesn’t mean he isn’t going to be good, and I would have been happy if he had fallen to the pats, but I would be a lot more worried about his bust potential than I am with Jones.
I haven't been comparing Lance and Jones' potential here. I am with you that Lance doesn't have a lot of throws under his belt, but we differ on the competition level and its importance going forward. FCS isn't the bush leagues of college football, there are usually around 150 players on rosters each year from that level. It didn't hurt him in the draft. He got offered by Boise St and Northern Illinois to play QB and chose NDSU. The talent evaluators that didn't see a Big Ten QB four years ago were obviously wrong.

I haven't been comparing Lance and Jones' potential here. I am with you that Lance doesn't have a lot of throws under his belt, but we differ on the competition level and its importance going forward. FCS isn't the bush leagues of college football, there are usually around 150 players on rosters each year from that level. It didn't hurt him in the draft. He got offered by Boise St and Northern Illinois to play QB and chose NDSU. The talent evaluators that didn't see a Big Ten QB four years ago were obviously wrong.
While it obviously didn’t hurt him, if he busts then he is going to take sf’s management team with him.

"Joel Klatt says!!!"...and then I farted, lost interest and watched Joel Klatt's sister $uck a golfball thru a garden hose...I mean, yeah...earth shaking super-knowers of things like Joel Klatt are rare indeed...like a forest full of babbling brooks...krist, give us some real NFL action before I get homicidal with these feces flingers...
That’s actually pretty funny

That’s actually pretty funny

Joker is our own Henry David Thoreau!!!

...well... with perhaps a disclaimer....

1620393332099.png
;)

Last edited:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore