PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

35 million in cap space, are there NO quality WRs or TEs available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who needs receivers what you have studs like Harry, Meyers and Gunner? It is less of a money thing and more of a what we have now is probably than anyone we can get off the scrap heap.

Fair. However, I disagree with the notion that he’s no longer “as good as he used to be.” IMHO, he doesn’t have the symbiotic relationship with Mayfield that he had with Eli. Mind you, he’s literally coming off 2 straight 1,000 yard/14ypc seasons. He’s still got “it” but the QB doesn’t...
He just hasn’t been the same since his fractured ankle in 2017.

In the 3 seasons prior to the injury he was avg approx 1400 yds and 12 TDs. In the 2 seasons after the injury 1000 yds and 5 TDs. I’m not against us getting him but he doesn’t seem to be the same guy he was before the injury.

He just hasn’t been the same since his fractured ankle in 2017.

In the 3 seasons prior to the injury he was avg approx 1400 yds and 12 TDs. In the 2 seasons after the injury 1000 yds and 5 TDs. I’m not against us getting him but he doesn’t seem to be the same guy he was before the injury.
Boomer...you seem to have overlooked my point about the change of QBs...Mayfield ain’t Eli; at least in relation to OBJ..

Cam only passed 19 times yesterday, he completed 15 of them. His 79% completion percentage is fourth best in the NFL, his yards per attempt is a respectable 8th best, he had a 101 QBR. When he focused on Edelman early, Edelman came through, when he focused on N'Keal, he had a career high in receptions, White was involved and looked good... even Izzo looked good in spots. They didn't have Gunner, Keene, Asiasi barely played and let's face it, they didn't pass much at all.

The opinion that these weapons are terrible is overblown and based on the fact that a 42 year old cranky and disgruntled QB who was too injured to practice with them last year hated these rookies. BB didn't make moves to vastly improve the WR corps because he didn't feel they were the problem, judging from the small sample size we've seen this year they weren't. TE was a problem and it was addressed in the draft.

How did Tampa look yesterday with their vast array of super weapons? Tell me again how "weapons" and "separation" is what creates a potent passing offense.

Edelman dropped a Cam strike dead on the money too. We hopefully learn more about the Pats receiving weapons this Sunday night.

Tampa and Brady will get better.

Boomer...you seem to have overlooked my point about the change of QBs...Mayfield ain’t Eli; at least in relation to OBJ..
2018 he was still with the Giants and had a down year.

Cam is being set up to fail without credible WR and TE threats. It will be easy for defenses to stack the box and give minimal attention to passing games. No double teams on WRS.
I understand that until outputs, BB thought he had no cap to work with. But now there is 35 million available, especially for one year contracts.

I hope he is not planning to go the entire year with ONLY the current WR and TE group/
I think Edelman is credible. I think harry just caught 5 passes out of 19 team pass attempts
the rookie TEs will come along. This is a running team that will take advantage of pass opportunities created by the running game.
I saw this the day they signed newton.
we want teams to stack the box and give minimal attention to receives, because then we will be throwing against a defense with huge holes in it.

Harry is not the answer. It's amazing that these excellent college receivers suddenly forget how to play when they come to Foxboro. I would like to see them sign or trade for some help at this key position.
It's amazing that these excellent posters suddenly forget how to actually evaluate players once the games start. I would love to see them disappear until they remember how to actually evaluate players..

It's amazing that these excellent posters suddenly forget how to actually evaluate players once the games start. I would love to see them disappear until they remember how to actually evaluate players..
I haven't seen anything from Harry. Can you educate me please? He goes into the wasted draft pick category for me. I would love to hear a reasonable argument otherwise

2018 he was still with the Giants and had a down year.
He suffered both a broken ankle & torn quad, then landed on IR for the remaining 12 games in 2017; then had 1,000 yards/14 ypc in 2018 with an ancient Eli Manning...that’s not a down year. CONTEXT..

Harry is way too slow. How many starting WRs do you know can't even average 10 yards per catch ? Total rookies like DeeDee Lamb just put up 60 yards yesterday for the Cowboys being a total rookie with virtual training camp during covid.

Harry isn't slow. Maybe the issue is that you're under the delusion he was the next Randy Moss.

Maybe you should actually WATCH the game to see the routes that he's being given. Maybe you should watch to see how fast Newton was getting rid of the football ( Avg of 2.2 seconds) And gee.. I don't know. Maybe give the opposing players some credit because they were up jamming Harry on several plays and he still made catches.

One of the first catches he made was 5 yards BEHIND the LOS because that was what the play called for.. And he still gained 8 yards beyond the LOS..

Harry is not the answer. It's amazing that these excellent college receivers suddenly forget how to play when they come to Foxboro. I would like to see them sign or trade for some help at this key position.
whats with Harry at the goal line? last year it was a TD that got reversed then yesterday :rolleyes:

I haven't seen anything from Harry. Can you educate me please? He goes into the wasted draft pick category for me. I would love to hear a reasonable argument otherwise

The fact that you're calling him a wasted draft pick after 1 season automatically calls into question your evaluation abilities. You've not provided a "reasonable argument" against the kid so why should anyone bother actually trying to educate you. You're mind is clearly made up and you clearly don't give a F*** about facts.

You seem to be the issue. Not Harry..

whats with Harry at the goal line? last year it was a TD that got reversed then yesterday :rolleyes:
Yesterday at the goal line was a damn good play by Baker. But no one seems to be able to give credit to the opposing players. They'd rather ***T all over our own than give an ounce of credit where it's due.

Edelman dropped a Cam strike dead on the money too. We hopefully learn more about the Pats receiving weapons this Sunday night.

Tampa and Brady will get better.

Brady's 43 year old elbow is what you should be worried about. No 43 year old QB has ever completed a full season.

IF after a few more games, Newton is continuing what we saw in Week 1, why not try for a big money extension where the bulk of the cap hit is this year instead of the usual way cap hits are pushed to later years?

Use the cap space sitting there now so that Cam's cap hit the next few years is relatively low! Sounds like a better use of this year's surplus than trying to find Sanu 2.0.

Harry isn't slow. Maybe the issue is that you're under the delusion he was the next Randy Moss.

Maybe you should actually WATCH the game to see the routes that he's being given. Maybe you should watch to see how fast Newton was getting rid of the football ( Avg of 2.2 seconds) And gee.. I don't know. Maybe give the opposing players some credit because they were up jamming Harry on several plays and he still made catches.

One of the first catches he made was 5 yards BEHIND the LOS because that was what the play called for.. And he still gained 8 yards beyond the LOS..

A starting WR getting spoon fed catches but still can't even average 10 yards a catch.

Brady's 43 year old elbow is what you should be worried about. No 43 year old QB has ever completed a full season.

Its amazing that Brady won 12 games last season. His pass to Godwin was a dime. His TD pass to Evans was perfect.

Im more concerned about Cam if he keeps running.

Hopefully Gunner gives us more than Byrd when he returns. I have a feeling this team will be quite active during the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes