PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

$30m for Brady as per Rap

Status
Not open for further replies.
The smart move this year, just as it was last year, would be to sign Brady to a longer deal (3 years makes sense) with respectable money. It spreads out the hit, allows for signings and re-signings, and gives time to find the new QB. ****ing around with these fake year deals is only smart if you absolutely know that the out year will never be needed.

And, if Brady's game collapses, you're no worse off than you would have been if you'd spent the money on a guy like Mariota + Brady cap hit.

Last edited:
If this report is true I am happy they are at least willing to pay up. May not be as much as some other teams may offer but if they should be in the ballpark and still would be the frontrunners as long as they get him some help.

The smart move this year, just as it was last year, would be to sign Brady to a longer deal (3 years makes sense) with respectable money. It spreads out the hit, allows for signing and re-signings, and gives time to find the new QB. ****ing around with this fake year deals is only smart if you absolutely know that the out year will never be needed.

And, if Brady's game collapses, you're no worse off than you would have been if you'd spent the money on a guy like Mariota + Brady cap hit.

You won’t get through to many people. They’ve apparently been naive enough to buy-in to the media/Brady haters 20-years of hogwash that TB’s a replaceable cog in the system. People are going to be blown away by the idea that Belichick is brilliant, but coaching brilliance gets you nowhere without an incredible player like this.

You won’t get through to many people. They’ve apparently been naive enough to buy-in to the media/Brady haters 20-years of hogwash that TB’s a replaceable cog in the system. People are going to be blown away by the idea that Belichick is brilliant, but coaching brilliance gets you nowhere without an incredible player like this.

We get the silliness parade every off season. It's just sillier than usual right now, because of the Brady situation combined with the circus that was the 2019 season.

Brady’s contract: 2 years (team option for 3rd year), $25M a year + 5M incentive if he can beat the dolphins on the last week of the reg season.

I think the link to this article was posted before. But, given people's comments about Rap Sheet, I think it should be posted again, so here goes:

But by late Friday night, indications I’d gotten were that there will be real effort to keep Brady in New England. And Brady will give them their shot.

My understanding is the Patriots will “extend themselves” financially to get Brady back in the fold. Whether that means they’ll go “in excess of $30M” as Ian Rapoport from NFL Media reported Sunday morning is unknown.

t was reiterated to me, however, that this isn’t about the money for Brady. It’s about appreciation for what he’s done and can still do. That appreciation can be shown as much by getting experienced, high-level talent around him as it can with a dollar amount.

The past two seasons, the Patriots did little in the offseason to staff the offense around Brady. There were a variety of reasons for that but the final result was an offense that was frustratingly and increasingly punchless.

etc....

Curran: Patriots will extend to keep Brady

What cheeses me off about this is that it could have all been avoided. Everything was foreseeable, reparable, and/or surmountable.

I think the link to this article was posted before. But, given people's comments about Rap Sheet, I think it should be posted again, so here goes:

etc....

Curran: Patriots will extend to keep Brady

What cheeses me off about this is that it could have all been avoided. Everything was foreseeable, reparable, and/or surmountable.
He was probably as annoyed with the Sony pick as I was.

Two other observations, by the way:

The holes the Chargers have to fix (on offense) are cheaper than New England's. They've got the glamor spots and need to fix their OL.

And, if he still thinks he's on top, Brady has to believe that he could get back with the Chargers. They have a lot of talent.

Hate to say it, particularly out loud, but to keep Brady (if the weapons' rumors are true), the Pats might have to re-sign AB - there's no one else that I see with that kind of talent that would excite him (maybe Manny Sanders?). BB and Kraft wouldn't much like that, if the guy is even cleared to play.

Then again, KC has four guys who have done as bad or worse than AB, and they're playing today.

Oh, and Kobe Bryant raped a woman and is heralded as a god-figure...

Sometimes, I just shake my head.

Ray Lewis killed a guy

Trading back for Cooks could make sense.
Sign AJ Green this is if Tom is back
A reformed Antonio Brown
and sign 2 new tight ends is what t

for A first and second or 2 firsts yes

Gilmore is playing at not just an elite, but generationally unique level. He shows no signs of slowing down - everyone on that defense benefits from him. His cost (less dead cap) is marginal.

Draft picks are farts in the wind. A first and a second? No chance (unless it was a top 10/top 40...and even then, no).

Two firsts? Top 10 firsts (because even then, you'd be lucky to get anyone close to Gilmore), maybe, but who the hell has 2 top-10 first-rounders to trade for a 30-yeara-old.

Yikes, I love Brady as much as anyone but $30M is a steep price for his age and production.

If that's what it takes to keep him then so be it, but it's hard to envision paying that kind of money and improving the team at the same time.

I would rather have Brady and a dead cap hit at $36 million than Andy Dalton and a dead cap hit at $33 million.

How hard is it to coach up a young QB to throw 2 yd passes to RBs and LOS screens?

Yikes, I love Brady as much as anyone but $30M is a steep price for his age and production.

If that's what it takes to keep him then so be it, but it's hard to envision paying that kind of money and improving the team at the same time.

They could improve the WR position by grabbing a couple of elementary school kids off the playground.

$6.75M is the cap hit from the old contract. It is only $13.5M if Brady leaves (acceleration of the 2021 cap hit. I see a $20M cap hit for Brady or for a veteran signed if Brady goes. I don't see the crisis.

As I see it we have $30M of cap space to use, whether Brady leaves or not.
======================
It's a day early, but I suppose we can start discussing 2020 weapons.

WR #3 - funded by cutting Sanu
TE #2 - funded by cutting Sanu
starting RT - either Cannon or someone using his cap money
interior OL - Karras or other would cost $4M-$5M
Van Noy or McCourty - Hightower restructure plus $2M
NT - Shelton or replacement would cost $4M-$5M

WHERE ARE WE
A) We have used $10-$12M of cap money, cut Sanu, and restructured Hightower.
B) This leaves us with $18M-$20M to use for a #1 WR, #1 TE, another OL, other re-signs, and other free agents. This isn't a lot, but it isn't terrible either.
C) A Gilmore restructure can be done during camp to take care of camp costs, and in-season costs.

SOME GUESSTIMATES

OFFENSE
======
1) We will cut Sanu, or extend him if Belichick really likes him. Or we can replace him with mid-level WR who would be expected to be our #3 (or compete for WR 2-4). A new contract might be a $2M salary and a $4.5M bonus over 3 years, for a 2020 compensation of $6.5M, and a cap hit of
$3.5M.

This is a SAVINGS of $3M, enough perhaps to sign our #2 TE ($1.5M salary, $4.5M bonus).

So, we have taken care of our need for a #3 WR and a #2 TE with NO cap effect.
=============
2) Cannon will either go or stay. If he goes, his cap savings would allow us to sign a replacement.
=============
#3 Karras or equivalent could cost $4M (salary of $2M and a $8M bonus (4 years); an addition $4M bonus adds $1M to the cap.

DEFENSE
A) A Hightower restructure would produce cap savings of $5.3M, almost enough to re-sign McCourty or Van Noy.
CONTRACT: $2.3M salary, $15M bonus over 3 years or a cap hit or $7.3M.

B) Shelton or equivalent might cost $4M (a $2M salary an $8M bonus over 4 years (an additional $4M bonus adds $1M to the cap)

I’m guessing the ONLY way to make this work is to be incredibly creative. Cap experts would know better than me, but doesn’t he count for 13.5 mill vs the cap whether he leaves or not ? So have to add 16.5 mill a year to that. How much cap space would we have left to add REAL weapons to satisfy the ALLEGED prerequisites for Brady to resign with the Pats.

This is a good move by the Patriots

30M is too much if he wants a good team around him, with us at least.

But shows that we are ready to ball and if Brady thinks he deserves 30M, he'll have to show it.

I think he'll be back, for less

Unless Schefter reports it, I take this with a grain of salt. But paying a 43 year old $30 million per year is a bit rich for my blood. How are they going to afford a legit TE, and at least two more receivers? And why would T.B. choose to come back without a guarantee that he won't be working with junk next year?
Hate to agree on this but you’re right.....I don’t see BB alotting that kind of money to Brady at this stage in his life/career....but it’s not about BB honestly.....it’s about BOB KRAFT...and he will pay it and order it!!!

already media is spinning this on BB
Tom Brady’s tenure in New England hinges on Bill Belichick

In other words, Belichick needs to drop to a knee and profess his love for Brady. If Belichick does that, Brady becomes far more likely to stay. If Belichick doesn’t, Brady becomes far more likely to leave.

Caught in the middle of everything is Kraft. He’ll do whatever Belichick wants him to do, and a willingness to pay a soon-to-be-43-year-old quarterback more than $30 million per year shows that Kraft is more than willing to spend. Belichick needs to be willing and able to break down the wall that he keeps in place between himself and pretty much every player who ever has played for him.

And if anyone merits that kind of treatment, it’s Brady.

If it doesn’t happen and if Brady chooses to leave, it’s on Belichick and no one else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes