PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

300+ yards passing and 150+ yards rushing 0 turnovers in a playoff game

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
300+ yards passing and 150+ yards rushing in a playoff game with 0 turnovers

That has not happened in a playoff game until the Pats did it. Amazing...

Last edited:
How can that not have happened against the Jete? Oh wait, the Jete would have to actually make the playoffs for it to happen...never mind

I've been trying to figure out exactly how good this Patriot offense is. Our defense is by a good amount the best one left in the playoffs. That gives the Pats a big edge against the Saints/Rams/Chiefs.

The Pats have the 4th ranked offense this year but the 3 above mentioned teams are all better in PPG on offense by a big margin. While KC averaged 35.3PPG as I mentioned in another thread they aren't at that level anymore. I put them at about 32PPG vs an average D. That is pretty much neck and neck with the Rams and Saints production.

The Pats this year averaged 27.3PPG (Almost 5 PPG less than the 3 above teams). That is a large amount and if it holds true to be the case that would mean we lose our advantage on defense. However, I'm not so sure that's the case right now. I'm not trying to judge a team by one game; but it's fair to judge a team by their most recent games and to consider their current team make up.

The Patriots offensively have been out of sorts all year for one reason or another. At first it was the lack of Edelman. Then it was Gronk going down hill. Then it was Brady getting hurt and playing banged up. Then it was losing Josh Gordon.

Now Brady is healthy. Edelman looks like prime Edelman. Gronk is still hurt but he can make a splash play here and there if called upon it seems. Gordon is still gone and that is a tough break. Burkhead who was gone for most of the year is back. That isn't a key addition but a nice little shot in the arm and it helps keep the rotation fresh. He is really our only viable 2 way threat at RB.

So how good is this Pats offense right now compared to their average? Personally I think they are better than they looked most of the year.

I think the biggest difference is simply the health of Brady after the bye and the level of intensity; as well as pushing their chips in.

We remember a time in the year when James White was being used almost like a work horse back. We all knew that wasn't sustainable and it's clear the Patriots decided to limit his work load. Since The Titans game (which was before the bye) White has only had more than 10 touches a game once. He had 15 against the Chargers and I don't expect that total to go down much. He will be a highly featured weapon from this point on.

Edelman also did something I haven't seem him do pretty much all year. Push through tackles to gain extra yards. While Edelman had a good season yards wise it felt like he was missing that extra gear. He has clearly turned that on recently and I expect we will see it for the KC game and hopefully beyond.

I expect to see 1 of every 2 targets go to either Edelman or White from this point on (it was 2 of 3 against LAC). I think this is how our offense will look for the rest of the playoffs. Not to say we will average 35 point a half, but I think they've decided to lean on their key guys now that the real season has rolled around.

If this is indicative of what we will see and less of an aberration it's hard to say the Patriots don't have an offense that can go toe to toe with any offense right now.

Last edited:
300+ yards passing and 150+ yards rushing in a playoff game

That has never happened in a playoff game in the Super Bowl era until the Pats did it yesterday. Amazing...
Are you sure about that??
Pitt vs Oak Divisional round 1976...... 301 yd pass/225 rushing
SF vs Miami Super Bowl 1985........... 326 yd pass/211 rushing.....

I’d love to get excited about the Pats’ offense, but some reality must be injected into the evaluation of yesterday’s game. BB whipped the Patriots into the proverbial perfect storm for the Chargers. LA went light, with 7 DBs, and insisted on sticking with zone, allowing the Pats to manhandle them in the running game and pick them apart in the passing game. It would be great if the O line can be as effective against K.C., and if they are the Pats will very likely dominate again, but that remains to be seen.

I've been trying to figure out exactly how good this Patriot offense is. Our defense is by a good amount the best one left in the playoffs. That gives the Pats a big edge against the Saints/Rams/Chiefs.

The Pats have the 4th ranked offense this year but the 3 above mentioned teams are all better in PPG on offense by a big margin. While KC averaged 35.3PPG as I mentioned in another thread they aren't at that level anymore. I put them at about 32PPG vs an average D. That is pretty much neck and neck with the Rams and Saints production.

The Pats this year averaged 27.3PPG (Almost 5 PPG less than the 3 above teams). That is a large amount and if it holds true to be the case that would mean we lose our advantage on defense. However, I'm not so sure that's the case right now. I'm not trying to judge a team by one game; but it's fair to judge a team by their most recent games and to consider their current team make up.

The Patriots offensively have been out of sorts all year for one reason or another. At first it was the lack of Edelman. Then it was Gronk going down hill. Then it was Brady getting hurt and playing banged up. Then it was losing Josh Gordon.

Now Brady is healthy. Edelman looks like prime Edelman. Gronk is still hurt but he can make a splash play here and there if called upon it seems. Gordon is still gone and that is a tough break. Burkhead who was gone for most of the year is back. That isn't a key addition but a nice little shot in the arm and it helps keep the rotation fresh. He is really our only viable 2 way threat at RB.

So how good is this Pats offense right now compared to their average? Personally I think they are better than they looked most of the year.

I think the biggest difference is simply the health of Brady after the bye and the level of intensity; as well as pushing their chips in.

We remember a time in the year when James White was being used almost like a work horse back. We all knew that wasn't sustainable and it's clear the Patriots decided to limit his work load. Since The Titans game (which was before the bye) White has only had more than 10 touches a game once. He had 15 against the Chargers and I don't expect that total to go down much. He will be a highly featured weapon from this point on.

Edelman also did something I haven't seem him do pretty much all year. Push through tackles to gain extra yards. While Edelman had a good season yards wise it felt like he was missing that extra gear. He has clearly turned that on recently and I expect we will see it for the KC game and hopefully beyond.

I expect to see 1 of every 2 targets go to either Edelman or White from this point on (it was 2 of 3 against LAC). I think this is how our offense will look for the rest of the playoffs. Not to say we will average 35 point a half, but I think they've decided to lean on their key guys now that the real season has rolled around.

If this is ore indicative of what we will see and less of an aberration it is hard to say the Patriots don't have an offense that can go toe to toe with any offense right now.

Hmm seems you’re right. Updated the OP for now. I’ll check on the source.

Pitt vs oak divisional round 1976
Neither team was close to 300 passing yards.

Sf did it in that SB. Perhaps it was 150/330 that never happened before.

I’d love to get excited about the Pats’ offense, but some reality must be injected into the evaluation of yesterday’s game. BB whipped the Patriots into the proverbial perfect storm for the Chargers. LA went light, with 7 DBs, and insisted on sticking with zone, allowing the Pats to manhandle them in the running game and pick them apart in the passing game. It would be great if the O line can be as effective against K.C., and if they are the Pats will very likely dominate again, but that remains to be seen.

The Chargers averaged 1 LB on the field throughout the game. They did go 7 DBs sometimes but it isn't like the Patriots ran over them entirely. The Pats averaged 4.9 yards per carry (when you take out Brady's stats.) on 32 run plays. Now that is nothing to sneeze at but it isn't absolutely unheard of. It isn't to be confused with what the Rams did to the Cowboys for instance, which is entirely unsustainable.

I do agree the Patriots will not find things so easy in the future. Scoring 5 touchdowns on their first 6 drives is not going to happen again. But I'm not expecting that either. What I am expecting and hoping for is that the offense can have good success for the rest of the playoffs and that they have actually kicked it up a notch compared to their performance overall this year. If Edelman is going to look like this the rest of the way I don't see a CB left in the playoffs who should be able to stop him one on one or even slow him down much consistently outside of maybe Lattimore.

White really isn't stoppable unless the defense wants to cheat way up and free up our other options (highly inadvisable). It is just about how many times the Patriots go to him. I don't see why those 2 things wouldn't continue to work in the future. They don't really depend on the offensive line doing an amazing job to succeed. The offensive line just has to do a good job. Something they have done all year.

Ok. It said Steelers vs raiders.
Mea culpa...Whenever I think of 1976, I can't get the Raiders or Ben Drieth out of my mind and my head explodes........and I can't think straight....
My point was that it had happened before and that was just by checking the playoff history of 4 or 5 teams.. There may be more...

2013 playoffs KC vs Indy 363 pass- 150 rush ( lost 45-44 to Luck)
2013 Ravens v Den 324 pass-155 rush
1990 Buf v Miami 339 pass/154 rush
1990 Bufv Raiders 300 pass/202 rush

more common than we thought....

That was just a dominating performance. It psychologically damaged Rivers. Soul crushing.

Just a matter of time before he announces his wife is pregnant for the 10th time.

If this is indicative of what we will see and less of an aberration it's hard to say the Patriots don't have an offense that can go toe to toe with any offense right now.

So one of the things we have to take into consideration is the Chargers played zone coverage against Brady the ENTIRE game. I don't think I saw one play that tried man. But I was half watching by the 3rd quarter. I have a newborn and kept nodding off with her cuddled up on my chest from that point on. Anyway, from what I can see, the Chiefs are primarily a man coverage team. Playing man, in abou 45% of their defensive snaps. If the corners can flood the short pass and make Brady hold onto the ball for more than 2 seconds, it might be enough for Houston or someone else on their pass rush to move Brady off his spot.

So i'm a little more concerned about the Chiefs being able to slow Brady down a bit, because if you want to beat him, you have to go man coverage, make him hold the ball a bit longer, and get him frustrated with the pass rush. If their corners can't hold up against man coverage, they are in for a long day, with long drives.

Conversely, Mahommes is a rare talent. We will have to see how he pans out, but he will require a disciplined pass rush. He is fast, can throw accurately across his body, and down the field on the run. The Pats will have to contain rush, not pin their ears back like they did against Rivers. Which will give Mahommes more time in the pocket to make plays. They have so much speed on Offense, it's going to be tough to contain those guys and place a spy on Mahommes.

There is definitely a challenge ahead. I hope BB has a special wrinkle for this game to confuse the guy.

So one of the things we have to take into consideration is the Chargers played zone coverage against Brady the ENTIRE game. I don't think I saw one play that tried man. But I was half watching by the 3rd quarter. I have a newborn and kept nodding off with her cuddled up on my chest from that point on. Anyway, from what I can see, the Chiefs are primarily a man coverage team. Playing man, in abou 45% of their defensive snaps. If the corners can flood the short pass and make Brady hold onto the ball for more than 2 seconds, it might be enough for Houston or someone else on their pass rush to move Brady off his spot.

So i'm a little more concerned about the Chiefs being able to slow Brady down a bit, because if you want to beat him, you have to go man coverage, make him hold the ball a bit longer, and get him frustrated with the pass rush. If their corners can't hold up against man coverage, they are in for a long day, with long drives.

Conversely, Mahommes is a rare talent. We will have to see how he pans out, but he will require a disciplined pass rush. He is fast, can throw accurately across his body, and down the field on the run. The Pats will have to contain rush, not pin their ears back like they did against Rivers. Which will give Mahommes more time in the pocket to make plays. They have so much speed on Offense, it's going to be tough to contain those guys and place a spy on Mahommes.

There is definitely a challenge ahead. I hope BB has a special wrinkle for this game to confuse the guy.
LA is a good defense that prefers to play zone.
KC is a bad defense that prefers to play man.

That doesn’t mean LA is a bad defense and KC is a good one.
Brady has torched man equally as well as zone for 18 years.

LA is a good defense that prefers to play zone.
KC is a bad defense that prefers to play man.

That doesn’t mean LA is a bad defense and KC is a good one.
Brady has torched man equally as well as zone for 18 years.

The difference is, I've never seen a zone defense in the last 6 or 7 years that has given him trouble. Man is the only defense that can actually cause Brady to be thrown off his game.

The difference is, I've never seen a zone defense in the last 6 or 7 years that has given him trouble. Man is the only defense that can actually cause Brady to be thrown off his game.
I disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots