PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

300+ yards passing and 150+ yards rushing 0 turnovers in a playoff game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love to get excited about the Pats’ offense, but some reality must be injected into the evaluation of yesterday’s game. BB whipped the Patriots into the proverbial perfect storm for the Chargers. LA went light, with 7 DBs, and insisted on sticking with zone, allowing the Pats to manhandle them in the running game and pick them apart in the passing game. It would be great if the O line can be as effective against K.C., and if they are the Pats will very likely dominate again, but that remains to be seen.

San Diego has a much better defense than KC does

What zone defense gave Brady trouble?
What man defenses gave him trouble?
He doesn’t do as well against defenses that cover well or rush the QB well. It’s not a man or zone thing.

Hogan and Dorsett have a big fat opportunity cake sitting right in front of them on the table. These 2 guys can be heroes.

The Chargers averaged 1 LB on the field throughout the game. They did go 7 DBs sometimes but it isn't like the Patriots ran over them entirely. The Pats averaged 4.9 yards per carry (when you take out Brady's stats.) on 32 run plays. Now that is nothing to sneeze at but it isn't absolutely unheard of. It isn't to be confused with what the Rams did to the Cowboys for instance, which is entirely unsustainable.

I do agree the Patriots will not find things so easy in the future. Scoring 5 touchdowns on their first 6 drives is not going to happen again. But I'm not expecting that either. What I am expecting and hoping for is that the offense can have good success for the rest of the playoffs and that they have actually kicked it up a notch compared to their performance overall this year. If Edelman is going to look like this the rest of the way I don't see a CB left in the playoffs who should be able to stop him one on one or even slow him down much consistently outside of maybe Lattimore.

White really isn't stoppable unless the defense wants to cheat way up and free up our other options (highly inadvisable). It is just about how many times the Patriots go to him. I don't see why those 2 things wouldn't continue to work in the future. They don't really depend on the offensive line doing an amazing job to succeed. The offensive line just has to do a good job. Something they have done all year.

dont include the 2nd half in that number, it isn't fair, we pretty much started coasting

what was the YPC in the first half only?

So one of the things we have to take into consideration is the Chargers played zone coverage against Brady the ENTIRE game. I don't think I saw one play that tried man. But I was half watching by the 3rd quarter. I have a newborn and kept nodding off with her cuddled up on my chest from that point on. Anyway, from what I can see, the Chiefs are primarily a man coverage team. Playing man, in abou 45% of their defensive snaps. If the corners can flood the short pass and make Brady hold onto the ball for more than 2 seconds, it might be enough for Houston or someone else on their pass rush to move Brady off his spot.

So i'm a little more concerned about the Chiefs being able to slow Brady down a bit, because if you want to beat him, you have to go man coverage, make him hold the ball a bit longer, and get him frustrated with the pass rush. If their corners can't hold up against man coverage, they are in for a long day, with long drives.

Conversely, Mahommes is a rare talent. We will have to see how he pans out, but he will require a disciplined pass rush. He is fast, can throw accurately across his body, and down the field on the run. The Pats will have to contain rush, not pin their ears back like they did against Rivers. Which will give Mahommes more time in the pocket to make plays. They have so much speed on Offense, it's going to be tough to contain those guys and place a spy on Mahommes.

There is definitely a challenge ahead. I hope BB has a special wrinkle for this game to confuse the guy.

i need an analysis to verify that, i don't think every single snap they played was zone...not at all, i just don't know the actual breakdown, but def some plays were man (for exmaple there was one almost pick play like that was obv man)

300+ yards passing and 150+ yards rushing in a playoff game

That has not happened in a playoff game in 33 years until the Pats did it yesterday. Amazing...
I call BS

He doesn’t do as well against defenses that cover well or rush the QB well. It’s not a man or zone thing.

Chiefs in 2015. Seattle for 75% of the Superbowl, Ravens cover 0, Steelers went to a man concept this year and beat them. Need I go on?

What zone defense gave Brady trouble?
I’m pretty sure the jets in 2010 divisional game were playing a zone and nobody could get open

This... if given fair amount of time and people get decent separation, he will find them and make the throw.

However his career numbers against zone are probably better. Just guessing

I’m pretty sure the jets in 2010 divisional game were playing a zone and nobody could get open

This... if given fair amount of time and people get decent separation, he will find them and make the throw.

However his career numbers against zone are probably better. Just guessing

He eats zone alive, I said in the last 6 or 7 years as well. He studies so hard he knows every soft spot in your zone defense

The Stat the OP was trying to quote was this was the first game in NFL Playoff History with 300+ Passing Yards 150+ Rushing Yards and 0 Turnovers.

The Stat the OP was trying to quote was this was the first game in NFL Playoff History with 300+ Passing Yards 150+ Rushing Yards and 0 Turnovers.

Yep, the 0 turnovers has to be part of it. E.g. Drew Brees & co. put up 167 yards rushing and a whopping 459 passing vs. the Lions eight years ago, but Brees lost a fumble.

Chiefs in 2015. Seattle for 75% of the Superbowl, Ravens cover 0, Steelers went to a man concept this year and beat them. Need I go on?
You are proving my point.

San Diego has a much better defense than KC does.

Fact.

Unfortunately, however (feckin missed FG & end-of-half feck-up), it's also being mitigated Greatly by the game being played in KC instead of Foxborough. Had it been played at home, there is no doubt in my mind that the Pats win. Now our Only hope is that very severe weather happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes