PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 TE Set In Passing Situations?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We rarely if ever use a 4th WR. We can run the entire playbook without hogan, Dorsett and Patterson.

So what keeps the defense from playing 8 in the box against us all game long?

• Gronk is the everything TE
  • Allen is the blocking TE who'll run a few routes
  • Hollister is the receiving TE who'll throw a few blocks
I expect that they'll be used accordingly, based upon opposing personnel, the success/failure of the WRs and RBs, and the specifics of the game.

If, in weeks 1-4, that means something like

Gronk
Allen
Hollister
Hogan
White/Dorsett

so be it, as long as Hollister's not going to be another Tim Wright.

The X factor here may be Sony Michel, his pass catching ability may be the key, not sure this team wants to run down White.. so having a "good" second receiver at RB may give rise to a different type of offense..

It has been reported that Hollister has made a lot of gains in the past year, but how that translates into this second season remains to be seen..

If you mean obvious passing situations, like 3rd and 12, no.

If you mean passing while in 3-TE sets, WTF not? I think BB's dream goal line package would be 1 WR, 3 GRONK-like TEs who can block or pass, and 1 RB.

That's the whole point of having TEs who are good blockers first and who can also catch reliably. Having two (or more) of them in the formation means that the defense can't really anticipate run or pass.

The X factor here may be Sony Michel, his pass catching ability may be the key, not sure this team wants to run down White.. so having a "good" second receiver at RB may give rise to a different type of offense..

It has been reported that Hollister has made a lot of gains in the past year, but how that translates into this second season remains to be seen..

Actually, Michel would be the third good receiver at RB. Burkhead is no slouch.

Huh? Against Tom Brady?
Why would you think a 4th receiver would be what affects that.
You gonna play 8 in the box against gronk, hogan, Dorsett, Patterson, white/Michel/Burkhead?
Good luck.

Do any of you really want us in 3 TE sets in passing situations? I don't. I would almost always play Gronk, Hogan, Patterson/Dorsett, and White/Burkhead/Michel. The 11th player would a blocking/outlet TE or FB, or one of the above players.

WR (2)
TE (1)
RB (1)
QB (1)
blocker or 3rd WR (1)

Until Burkhead and Michel are healthy, we have
[Gronk, Hogan, Dorsett/Patterson, White, Allen/Develin] as our passing offense

Apparently, I have outraged some by suggesting that Hollister is not one of our top receiving targets. IMHO, we only need 3 WR's, 1 TE and 1 RB as targets.
If Hollister is being productive, I have no problem with that formation a few times a game.

Its basically what they did in 2010 with Gronk, AH and Crump

WR
TE1- Gronk split wide
TE2- Hollister as the H back/move TE
TE3- Allen as the check-down
RB

Bennett was very important as a backup to Gronk and importantly was a good blocker. Hernandez was important because of the lack of other receiving threats.

You have your opinion. For me, Hollister is at least behind Gronk, 3 top receivers, and 2 RB's.

Perhaps our #7 receiving threat has gotten a lot of reps in the past. I don't think so.
===========
In 2017, seven receivers accounted for 90% of the receptions. The other 8 totaled a bit more than 2 receptions per game. Those 7 included 1 TE, 3 WR and 3 RB's. The 4th WR and the 2nd TE were next at a bit less than 1 reception per game each.

I see no reason for a change.

I'd posit that putting Hollister in instead of Allen, would force teams to dedicate a coverage guy to Gronk and a less athletic coverage guy for Hollister. This could result in lots of catches for Hollister. As for a 3rd TE, that would force teams to go "big" and that is where Hollister's athleticism would really be an asset.

And of course, the Patriots could run from the formation if teams go nickel. I wouldn't make the 3 TE package something they run all the time, but it could work for no huddle.

Having Holiister in instead of Allen would result in Gronk being an outlet receiver at best. His primary role would be blocking. Hollister instead of a WR would simply mean that the defense would be dealing with a less skilled receiver. PLUS, PLUS for the defense.

I'd posit that putting Hollister in instead of Allen, would force teams to dedicate a coverage guy to Gronk and a less athletic coverage guy for Hollister. This could result in lots of catches for Hollister. As for a 3rd TE, that would force teams to go "big" and that is where Hollister's athleticism would really be an asset.

And of course, the Patriots could run from the formation if teams go nickel. I wouldn't make the 3 TE package something they run all the time, but it could work for no huddle.

Having Holiister in instead of Allen would result in Gronk being an outlet receiver at best. His primary role would be blocking. Hollister instead of a WR would simply mean that the defense would be dealing with a less skilled receiver. PLUS, PLUS for the defense.

There is no requirement that either Allen or Gronk has to block on every pass play.

I disagree. Patriots do just block with their 5 OLmen....Also could keep a RB in to block or chip and release.

IMO, here's the order of our pass targets (from most to least likely to be targeted in 2018):

1.) Gronkowski (duh)
2.) Edelman (sans 4 games of course)
3.) White/Hogan (Depends on game plan)
4.) Hogan/White (Depends on game plan)
5.) Dorsett/Burkhead (Depends on game plan)
6.) Burkhead/Dorsett (Depends on game plan)
7.) Patterson
8.) Hollister
9.) Michel
10.) Develin
11.) Allen

I disagree. Patriots do just block with their 5 OLmen....Also could keep a RB in to block or chip and release.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they use a blocking TE in addition.

The point is that using a "receiving TE" who isn't competent at inline blocking takes away some playcall-change and protection call options at the LoS.

In 2017, seven receivers accounted for 90% of the receptions. The other 8 totaled a bit more than 2 receptions per game. Those 7 included 1 TE, 3 WR and 3 RB's. The 4th WR and the 2nd TE were next at a bit less than 1 reception per game each.

I see no reason for a change.
I do. If our #2 TE catches only one ball/game, I will be very disappointed.

What? Why would gronk pass block? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they use a blocking TE in addition.

The point is that using a "receiving TE" who isn't competent at inline blocking takes away some playcall-change and protection call options at the LoS.
It’s rare that they leave a TE in to pass block, very rare.
It’s not like Hollister will flip to the ground and avoid defenders. Half of the blocks made by a guy playing his spot are not that important to begin with. He certainly can block as well as a wr, and us and every other team run 3 Wr packages.

Absolutely nothing.

Huh? Against Tom Brady?
Why would you think a 4th receiver would be what affects that.
You gonna play 8 in the box against gronk, hogan, Dorsett, Patterson, white/Michel/Burkhead?
I would.
No defense will respect our deep game enough to consistently place only 7 in the box...nor should they.

IMO, here's the order of our pass targets (from most to least likely to be targeted in 2018):

1.) Gronkowski (duh)
2.) Edelman (sans 4 games of course)
3.) White/Hogan (Depends on game plan)
4.) Hogan/White (Depends on game plan)
5.) Dorsett/Burkhead (Depends on game plan)
6.) Burkhead/Dorsett (Depends on game plan)
7.) Patterson
8.) Hollister
9.) Michel
10.) Develin
11.) Allen
Burkhead is too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back