PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post 24 QB Primer Thread

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Inside the pocket, deep boundary shots. I see more Herbert. Everything else I see Allen. The athleticism, aggression and put his team on his shoulders/hero ball stuff is all Allen imo. I hate using those two names but its very hard to get away from.
That is a combo I would like very much lol.

Is there a consensus on where McCarthy is supposed to land? I have seen anything from top 10 to early 2nd.
Top 15 would be the furthest and that would take a video of him getting arrested or something. He's very much in play for QB3 for certain teams imo. Like there's no way the Vikings, Rams, Pats, Atlanta, Denver, Raiders, even NO
That is a combo I would like very much lol.
Yea again I hate using those two but you can't ignore the obvious. Herbert and Maye look a lot alike throwing fades, gunning down crossers. And the aggression, recklessness, athleticism of Allen. Even the bad stuff. Mechanics, accuracy issues and competition they faced.

Kliff loves incorporating these into his calls. C2 beater which the league is seeing a lot more of. I'd be a little surprised if they stuck with Howell with this draft after adding KK.

JJ McCarthy was not on my radar at all until I was watching Michigan’s last home game. It was Senior Day and one of Michigan ‘s senior offensive lineman (RG I think) went down with a leg injury. The serious type that stopped play for several minutes.

While they were stabilizing the leg, the OLineman’s parents made their way to the field. I remember just being very impressed watching McCarthy interact with his teammates and his injured teammate’s parents while this was unfolding. He was the leader comforting everyone and hugging his teammate’s mother as they tended to her son (and no, not in a Zach Wilson way). Remember thinking I could see 12 doing that.

One thing overlooked is how important being a natural leader is to being a winning QB. I was a fan from that point on and rooted for him and Michigan on their journey to their National Championship.

I’m prejudiced against short and slight QBs (give me 6’4” 235) and McCarthy is both. I’ve started watching video on the top QBs in this draft other than Caleb Williams who I don’t think will be there at 3. McCarthy is as impressive to me as either Maye or Daniels. I was very surprised and impressed to see the number of tight window passes McCarthy completed in the middle of the field.

McCarthy is not making it past the Raiders or Falcons I bet.

Trade down to 5 and get mccarthy if falcons don't swing a trade with us or trade with falcons

BGC great work as always
I am in no way good at film breakdown
You do a great job. We are lucky to have you

A week ago I was watching different videos and I started talking about McCarthy
I just seen that he throws into such tight windows with success
I know while watching the College Playoff games this year. I was not overly impressed with him because well they hardly threw the ball. He was obviously was coached to avoid turnovers at all costs,
But then Michigan would get behind and they would have to start throwing. When it was third down or game on line, McCarthy would be at his best. Against some of the best teams. Make some sick throws.
In the biggest situations in those games he had that so called “IT” factor.
He could just be having an average game then when needed. Boom he came to life.
He was allowed to get into a rhythm per se when the pass became just as important as the run,

I know I mentioned it to you. You mentioned this thread
Thanks, I like this kid McCarthy.
Small trade down for extra pick(s)
21 years old. Let him sit a year. Build up his body and mind.
Combine and Pro days will put a better understanding of his total package

Yes he has warts like the other 3. His strengths just translates more to the Pro game.

Thanks again. Keep it coming

Yes I think they would have a hard time saying no to Williams if say Maye and JJM were magically gone but yea those two are the best "fits" of the big names and will be QB1 & 2 on my board barring something changing. And it will.

Exactly. Trade down. Set the table for McCarthy if that's your target. And set the table for the future with a nice pick(s)

I would love it if we could snag Aiyuk from SF. Someone Nabers reminds a lot of people of. Trade back slightly for Alt or Fashanu. Back up for JJM. I could see that playing out with McCarthy first. And go from there. Getting a WR1 (Aiyuk Pittman Higgins) from FA would make our lives a lot less difficult. Get a sure thing at the position that's haunted us and draft a cheap QB and tackle.
Issue I have with Aiyuk is he’s not really a separator…reminds me of Anquan Bolden as a RAC/contested guy. I feel like at WR2 really needs to be able to separate and beat man.

Issue I have with Aiyuk is he’s not really a separator…reminds me of Anquan Bolden as a RAC/contested guy. I feel like at WR2 really needs to be able to separate and beat man.
Completely different players imo. Bolden was one of a kind. Aiyuk never really had a problem separating or anything really. The guy never even had 115 targets. Give him 150 targets and he's a top 5ish WR if healthy for 15-16 games. He's in a run heavy offense with Deebo and Kittle.

The guy who posted this video is a clown. But it’s cool to see JJ manipulate that backer out of the throwing lane he wants to hit. Looks like the receiver should’ve sat down.

Completely different players imo. Bolden was one of a kind. Aiyuk never really had a problem separating or anything really. The guy never even had 115 targets. Give him 150 targets and he's a top 5ish WR if healthy for 15-16 games. He's in a run heavy offense with Deebo and Kittle.

Well dang…eye test was wrong. Great insight. I kept going back to the SB where it just didn’t look like he was beating coverage. But, it’s one game and Chiefs secondary was much better than advertised. He was only targeted 6 times…odd.

Man…Pats sure drafted the wrong ASU WR.

Didn’t a poster tell me Davis was Trash when I floated him as potential target.

The guy who posted this video is a clown. But it’s cool to see JJ manipulate that backer out of the throwing lane he wants to hit. Looks like the receiver should’ve sat down.

Yup you see stuff like that a lot. Impressive for a young guy but again particularly bc that area is so clogged. You have LB, Saf, CB all roaming and running through. I'm certainly not pounding the table at #3 or even a trade up but he's a nice prospect that brings a lot to the table. Ideally sits for a year after thinking on it. If I draft him I really want a "set table" and he'll be 22 year so theres time.

JJ McCarthy was not on my radar at all until I was watching Michigan’s last home game. It was Senior Day and one of Michigan ‘s senior offensive lineman (RG I think) went down with a leg injury. The serious type that stopped play for several minutes.

While they were stabilizing the leg, the OLineman’s parents made their way to the field. I remember just being very impressed watching McCarthy interact with his teammates and his injured teammate’s parents while this was unfolding. He was the leader comforting everyone and hugging his teammate’s mother as they tended to her son (and no, not in a Zach Wilson way). Remember thinking I could see 12 doing that.

One thing overlooked is how important being a natural leader is to being a winning QB. I was a fan from that point on and rooted for him and Michigan on their journey to their National Championship.

I’m prejudiced against short and slight QBs (give me 6’4” 235) and McCarthy is both. I’ve started watching video on the top QBs in this draft other than Caleb Williams who I don’t think will be there at 3. McCarthy is as impressive to me as either Maye or Daniels. I was very surprised and impressed to see the number of tight window passes McCarthy completed in the middle of the field.

McCarthy is not making it past the Raiders or Falcons I bet.
I completely agree with the importance of leadership.

Got to say that the 1970s NFL Films music for the Aiyuk video gave me one of the biggest smiles I’ve had in a long time. It’s a Facenda narration away from perfection for those of us who learned to love the game when plaid sports jackets and really wide ties were in style.

Now get the hell off my lawn!

Is McCarthy in any way comparable to Mac (outside of nothing winning a nation championship?

Thanks BGC for all the hard work. I have been debating a lot on that third pick and the QB that would fall to us there. I've also been thinking about McCarthy a lot and would love a trade down within the top 8. I don't see him lasting beyond that. Get one or two additional picks grab him and an OT early. Look for the WR later as much trouble as we have with that position QB and LT are even tougher to get for the league.

Once you have those two then grab some WRs and other offensive positions.

Great thread ... thank you

I got rejected for mentioning him and trade down several months ago ...

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back