PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION 2024 Draft Day LIVE Discussion Thread Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised the Bills didn’t take Troy Franklin.

Wow, Ian Rapoport’s report on Payton Wilson’s injuries make Michael Penix and Dominique Easley look like iron men.
Sheds light on why he’s still available.

BC related: Elijah Jones was drafted ahead of Christian Mahogany. I didn’t expect that.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong...it's Friday and I just emptied the wine bottle.
I like Onwenu at RT, he has the longest wingspan on our offensive line despite only being 6'3." I don't get why people are so quick to move him back inside.

Sow will stay at RG if they want to keep status quo... this team still doesn't have a left tackle unless Wallace is really strong and for some reason just decided not to bench to prove it... also he is a lot more mobile than he showed at the combine but decided not to run again at his pro day for some reason. This is a big presumption... I'll stay positive until I see these draftees play. I've been wrong before.

Sow is the most interesting case for them looking ahead at the 2024 OL. With Onwenu hurt to start 2023, I think they figured Rieff would be their RT and Sow would fill in at RG until Big Mike was ready to go. When Rieff turned out to be unplayable and Anderson was too ill, they pretty much had to try Sow at RT. Them trading for Wheatley and Lowe at the end of the preseason was a sign that they knew Rieff was toast and those two at OT with Sow at guard was as good as they could do, especially with Strange injured and Brown his usual unreliable self. Sow played well enough at guard to convince them he should stay there, especially with Wheatley “injured” all year, Anderson too ill, etc. it was just a complete ****storm from the time Klemm came onboard and their personnel staff made one error after the other bringing in Rieff, not drafting an OT, thinking Lowe and Wheatley could perform.

I think Sow can play OT in a pinch but would be a better LG than Strange. That’s where I hope he winds up. As for Strange, I think he should be a center but don’t know if he has the head for it. He’s got talent but I think Sow is the better player already.
Strange came back and played really well so Im not sure how you figure Sow is an upgrade. Strange's injury was a freak one from someone rolling up on him. Sow and Strange should both be better than average guards in this league. Also, Mafi played the early games last year because Sow was actually hurt at the start of the season.

We also have Jake Andrews to play LG

I like Onwenu at RT, he has the longest wingspan on our offensive line despite only being 6'3." I don't get why people are so quick to move him back inside.

Sow will stay at RG if they want to keep status quo... this team still doesn't have a left tackle unless Wallace is really strong and for some reason just decided not to bench to prove it... also he is a lot more mobile than he showed at the combine but decided not to run again at his pro day for some reason. This is a big presumption... I'll stay positive until I see these draftees play. I've been wrong before.
I think Onwenwu thinks of himself as a guard.

I’m hoping Polk is Jordy Nelson 2.0 and Wallace is Matt Light. I’d be delighted come Sunday’s next Fall to be wrong.

Shocked that Leonard Taylor is so far down Mel's board.

7th rounder?

This is a super productive DT that I thought would be a great get in the early 3rd.

This is based on 2 things: I was impressed the many times I watched him play, and when I checked out his production, he had one of the best ratios of stopping the run to generating pass rush.

He's one of the best 3 or 4 interior DLs

Last edited:
Would love Baker, Walker (to pair with Maye), Stover, Johnson, Austin Booker or Hart.

I’m hoping Polk is Jordy Nelson 2.0 and Wallace is Matt Light. I’d be delighted come Sunday’s next Fall to be wrong.
I hope I'm wrong. Once they put the laundry on, I root for them regardless.

If they're good, I'll admit I was wrong. But if they suck, I'll say "I told you so" to the entire board.

IMO there was a much better way to maneuver this board on day two, they should have traded back and taken a tackle with the second pick. Instead there was a run on tackles after they took Polk and they missed out on the chance at a starter. Polk wasn't worth the missed opportunity and if they had a really strong conviction about Polk they could have traded back up to grab him with the third pick.

Just to be sure... I said prior to the draft that they should take an OT with the second pick if Leggett was gone, that there was a finite amount of tackles in relation to WR's. This isn't some hindsight expertise.

Last edited:
Would love Baker, Walker (to pair with Maye), Stover, Johnson, Austin Booker or Hart.

I am curious about Walker just because he's used to Maye, nothing physically wows you from him, but he was dependable for UNC. Brenden Rice, well, curious about that too, for obvious reasons.

I am curious about Walker just because he's used to Maye, nothing physically wows you from him, but he was dependable for UNC. Brenden Rice, well, curious about that too, for obvious reasons.
Same here..I don’t think there’s anything special about Walker per se…but the chemistry between himself and Maye, along with his deep speed and vertical ability could spark something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back