PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Week 4: Patriots Lose to the Cowboys 38-3 - PostGame Thread

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Brady lasted three seasons, it's not like he's still in the league. And the championship in Tampa solidified his legacy and quieted all the people who would still be talking about whether or not Manning/Rodgers/Mahomes were better had he not gotten #7 there on his own.

Needless to say, it worked out just fine for him.

The only difference would essentially be we'd be in the first year of someone else right now, with no guarantees life would be grand. All of this was coming. All keeping Brady would have done would have been to delay the inevitable, and if they won a bunch of games, they wouldn't have had a pick high enough to land anyone viable.

Keeping Bill is delaying the inevitable. Bill is who he is, an average head coach who maximized his and the team's success when he stumbled upon Brady. It's not like he hasn't had 3 overall number 1 QBs in his career. That's got to account for something.

If this season continues at this rate, empower Eliot Wolf to make trades at the deadline for draft picks next year. And if Belichick & Al Groh's kid object, they can go too.

fify

Keeping Bill is delaying the inevitable. Bill is who he is, an average head coach who maximized his and the team's success when he stumbled upon Brady. It's not like he hasn't had 3 overall number 1 QBs in his career. That's got to account for something.
??

You're saying the performance of Cam Newton, Testaverde and Bledsoe is reflective of Belichick's ability? He didn't select any of these guys. 2 of them were castoffs. He actually rehabilitated one of them who was considered a bust.

Credit Brady all you want, but it was the defense that should be credited for the 1st and last Patriot Super Bowl victories. So give Brady 4, I'm giving Belichick 2.

I don’t care how good of a coach or a GM you are, the fact is you need a good QB and good coach to win games in the NFL.

The narrative that Bill sucks because Brady is gone is absolutely hogwash. Neither of them win 6 SBs without the other and they both have said that plenty of times.

Bill the GM has made some pretty horrible choices with roster construction the last 4 years but his coaching is still the best in the league.

I have no doubt that Bill knows that Mac isn’t the future QB in NE, but as of right now he’s the best chance currently on the roster to win games.

What are you talking about - he just finalized a deal to purchase exclusive rights to the Jordan Marsh Bakery,

My wife worked at their bakery downtown when she was a kid; their muffins - especially their blueberry ones - were supposedly to die for!

Seems Gonzalez dislocated his shoulder, and Judon tore his biceps.

Now, you can bring Gonzalez back in one month, but this is the type of injury that, if it happens again this year, it might become a permanent problem. Judon risks reinjury as well.

Both of these guys can come back, but I can easily make a solid case as to why they shouldn't.

Gonzalez is young so there's no point in risking a prized asset until there is little chance that reinjury will become chronic.

As for Judon he's older and still has a few years left, but is there a point in bringing him back this year?

Especially when increased playing time for Uche, Keion White, Anfernee and even Trey Flowers can substitute for him? Heck, talk to Perkins. He may want to come back now.

The good news is that we have the Raiders and Broncos on the schedule. So, I think 3-14 is our floor. Bad news is that we prolly won’t do much better than our floor…

The D is expected to do way too much. Down multiple starting CB's, then Gonzalez goes out, Judon goes out. I don't think it's fair to say they weren't good, they were as good as you could expect an entirely depleted secondary as you could expect.
Gonzalez and Judson were in the first 2 drives when Dallas went over 70 yards each drive for a score. If you look back to last year in all our losses against decent teams we are down big early and having to try and claw back. That’s not to say it’s the D’s fault, but with this O you can’t get down early. The D wasn’t good yesterday, it just wasn’t as bad as the O.

??

You're saying the performance of Cam Newton, Testaverde and Bledsoe is reflective of Belichick's ability? He didn't select any of these guys. 2 of them were castoffs. He actually rehabilitated one of them who was considered a bust.

Credit Brady all you want, but it was the defense that should be credited for the 1st and last Patriot Super Bowl victories. So give Brady 4, I'm giving Belichick 2.

More of a rebuttal that Bill hasn't had ANY good QBs in his career. That's not justified by the talent he's had available to him. He's had over 10 seasons of non Brady as his QB. That's a large enough sample size to judge him in my opinion. One playoff win.

I actually stated almost verbatim the last sentence before the season kicked off. I'd agree with you there.

Bill doesn't suck and he also doesn't walk on water.

The injuries makes the loss hurt more.

Mac was not pressured on those ints. He made stupid throws. He just cannot be put in a position to have to win a game, they have to win in spite of him, Which....that does not really work in the NFL. Sorry but its a cap era, you are not going to have this super team minus your Qb to help Mac not mess up. You need a dynamic Qb that can take over a game and cover up vulnerabilities on the team> Mac isnt that or near that. So here we are.
On his fumble he was scrambling because no one was open and the line broke down. On his first pick he scrambled to his right and threw against his body. Horrible decision but he was definitely under pressure. He wasn’t sitting in a clean pocket. On his se one pick he made a dumb decision throwing to a receiver who had 0 separation.

Mac sucked, but so did the line and the receivers.

The offense is scoring 13.8 PPG, 2nd worst in the NFL. From the desk of Captain obvious, not a good sign in the modern NFL.

At least I have my DVDs of Three Games to Glory I, II and III. Those were the days…

More of a rebuttal that Bill hasn't had ANY good QBs in his career. That's not justified by the talent he's had available to him. He's had over 10 seasons of non Brady as his QB. That's a large enough sample size to judge him in my opinion. One playoff win.

I actually stated almost verbatim the last sentence before the season kicked off. I'd agree with you there.

Bill doesn't suck and he also doesn't walk on water.
You cannot call a guy who can't throw a football (Cam Newton) a good QB. We paid him $1m that year. We got less than what we paid for.

Testaverde was a bust. He was rehabilitated.

Belichick dumped Kosar and was vilified.

Kosar went to other teams .... and he was quickly out of the NFL.

Bledsoe was a passable player who had a very tough time on that 2000 roster that was depleted and which other GMs called the most talentless roster in the league. We all saw it.

I can easily make the case that Brady is the only good QB that Belichick has ever had.

There are a lot of 1st picks in the draft who are horrible QBs; being drafted #1 doesn't make you good: Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jameis Winston, Sam Bradford, Jamarcus Russell, David Carr, Tim Couch, Jeff George, and the list goes on and on.

We continue to underestimate on this board exactly how bad Mac Jones is. A middling QB instantly improves this team into a playoff contender.

What do I mean by that? I would certainly take Baker Mayfield over Mac.

On his fumble he was scrambling because no one was open and the line broke down. On his first pick he scrambled to his right and threw against his body. Horrible decision but he was definitely under pressure. He wasn’t sitting in a clean pocket. On his se one pick he made a dumb decision throwing to a receiver who had 0 separation.

Mac sucked, but so did the line and the receivers.
He runs out of the pocket too quick and right into pressure. He has to know there are defenders behind him and he was out there taking all day to throw when he fumbled. He had clean pockets he refused to step up into. He didn't just start doing this yesterday either. He did this against Miami, he did this all last year. This is who he is.

Last edited:
Him getting trucked by a DB (I think) trying to run full steam for the 1st down shows the lack of strength he has.

He wasn't even trucked by the DB however; Corky FELL FORWARD RIGHT INTO HIM!

Same with that homo QB sneak he tried.

Corky makes Eason look like Grogan.

Safety Donovan Wilson. Although I don't know how he thought he was going to win that one. Wilson had a better angle and the only way Jones might have had a shot would have been to change direction to pick up a couple of extra yards and try and drag him for the rest. He had no shot trying to do it head on.

But Corky HAD NO INTENTION of making the Line to Gain.

Al Groh's kid has done a good job. The big question I have is how much better he might be if he truly had the last word there. I don't know if that's the case, but I also don't know if it isn't.

Really?

I Do Not Want another life-long member of Notgoat's incestuous little circle of F & Fs being Chief Grocery-Shopper here. It would only mean more of the same garbage drafting & free-agent signings.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back