PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 WR/PTP Draft Prospects

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some people have mentioned WR as a need. Pats traditionally have like HWS guys (Jackson, Dobson, Price, Harry, Mitchell) but obviously love tough slot WR's.

As far as needs go this team could use a true X or water bug slot. This team could use speed at the WR position but remember toughness, bully-types often translate and last! We haven't had much luck taking those HWS guys but they translate. AJ Brown is a great example of that. Speed is probably the 3rd or 4th best thing about his skill set.

Burks & London are matchup guys you move around. Catch point bullys that are yac machines.

Burks has had more success outside/press. Nice blend of power, speed and toughness. If you read my WR thread you'd know he hunts wild boar (those ****ers are like 180-200 lb) with a knife / bare hands & his dogs. He's a different type of dude. Choose Arkansas bc of familiarity. Went to HS with some players that went there.Wasn't in the best of shape pre-combine. This is me speculating but I'm not sure he understood how important it was and thought he could just show up. Not necessarily an effort thing but he'd rather be hunting or fishing like most southerners. Tore his ACL in HS.

Dominated from the slot but has had some much success outside in a small sample size (highest yards per route ran among receivers drafted via PFF)

Him and London are better r/r than given credit for. Burks understands how to use leverage to his advantage. Has improved working on his stems. Especially on shorter routes. Also improved at the top of intermediate routes. Work to be done but remember it took Deebo a minute to get acclimated to what's expected there. Beats press with wiggle and toughness. Fights through press. He's improved and has promise in this area for sure.

Natural (strong) hands catcher although a bit inconsistent (no one cares about drops anymore). Potential catch point monster.

Doesn't look like he's the fastest but he's very smooth in close quarters and almost reached 23 mph last year which would have been the fastest time in the league. One person can't bring him down. Ran away from SEC defenders for years. Can be sudden to shake off a defender in a small area. Eats up cushions and can beat you deep.

Untapped potential with his body. Keep him under 230. Plus play strength.

Cross between AJ Brown and Juju SS with a little bit DK. Power slot you can gradually work outside first year with hopes of taking majority of reps at X as he develops. I would love to see him under Troy Brown for a year.

Drake London is a beast of a blocker who would have been in the Heisman convo if healthy. We're talking 120 + 1600 + 10 + avg more than 12 per rec

Bully blocker that can block outside / stalk block. Lead block off motion. Tough kid that is a bit of a bully. One of the best blockers in the class.

Probably the best 50/50 bal WR in the last 3 drafts. He's unbelievable here.

One of the youngest prospects in the draft.

A lot more sudden than he's given credit for. He can plant and separate. Lack of separation was overblown imo. He can separate short and deep but he's definitely not a burner never will be.

Like Burks he's a bit of an acrobat in the air. Probably best in the class.

Like Burks he's improved his stems off the line. Has a better understanding of leverage.

Body has tons of potential he's a baby. Could be an absolute monster by 24-25.

Teams (GB, NE) that use WR like TE will like these two.

Olave would feast here. I was a little warm and still am bc I think his play strength has a real ceiling and physical corners will reroute him too easily outside but he'd do well here. Just think Dotson is very similar and could be had a RD later. Like Olave very smooth with NFL speed. Can separate easily intermediately beat you deep from the slot.

Kyle Phillips graded out highly for me (3rd) bc of his toughness, elusiveness and ST ability. If he's there round 3-5 I think he's on the team.

Few guys that hit the #'s we like. Bo Melton, Kevin Austin, Samori Toure, Jaquarii Roberson, Calvin Austin and a few others.

Khalil Shakir is someone I've been watching since HS and really think he'll stick as a solid WR3 with possible upside as low-end WR2.

Christian Watson and Charles Pickens are real wildcards. HWS guys that have major upside outside. Both are willing bully blockers.

There's no reason we can't come out this draft with at least one solid starter or contributor if we go WR top 100 or even 125. Deep class.

I think London or Burks are not really the type of WR we need. We already have Parker a contested catch guy on the outside. We don’t have this speedy slot WR or terrific r/r on the outside. I would take Williams although he is a deep threat like agholor just because of his playmsking ability to provide YAC ability and game changing speed.

I think London or Burks are not really the type of WR we need. We already have Parker a contested catch guy on the outside. We don’t have this speedy slot WR or terrific r/r on the outside. I would take Williams although he is a deep threat like agholor just because of his playmsking ability to provide YAC ability and game changing speed.
I have seen Drake London projected as a first round pick by the Jets. We can only hope that the Jets are as stupid as the guys who write these projections.

Garrett Wilson scares me because you really didn't notice him during the season. I think Olave was a much better player.

London screams N'Keal, run, don't walk away from him.

Two guys that could be steals if they are healthy are George Pickens form GA (although I think he will no longer be a steal, I doubt he makes it past pick #40), and the other is Justyn Ross, he was a stud as a freshman, then got hurt, might be a great sleeper pick.

Fred made you me spit up my coffee. :rofl:
I take this as a high compliment! Thanks.

I really don't think that most of the sports reporters who write up these mock draft ever actually look at tape. Instead they take an existing mock and, twiddle with it a bit, and publish. The professional NFL GMs must laugh at these mocks, but luckily for a professionally-run (usually) team like the Patriots, there will always be another team with a meddling billionaire owner/idiot who want to make the picks himself, so this meddler gets a coffee in the morning of the draft and starts checking off the picks in his latest mock draft from the, ah let's say, Washington Post, Dallas Star, etc.

was there something extra in the coffee? :D
Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Took a sip when I started reading.:D

Garrett Wilson scares me because you really didn't notice him during the season. I think Olave was a much better player.

London screams N'Keal, run, don't walk away from him.

Two guys that could be steals if they are healthy are George Pickens form GA (although I think he will no longer be a steal, I doubt he makes it past pick #40), and the other is Justyn Ross, he was a stud as a freshman, then got hurt, might be a great sleeper pick.
NKeal ran straight down the field over and over and over again.

London ran routes.

Bacon: great analysis: I have to say Jahan Dotson seems like a really nice player who could do well in the pros he doesn't have a lot of negatives. And to think he's a guy we could get in the early part of the Second Round great value.

NKeal ran straight down the field over and over and over again.

London ran routes.
Yeah I have already said I'm not going to make Harry make me think any less of London. I feel that London could potentially drop some in this Draft I could be wrong but I feel some Teams might be a little concerned with his lack of top end speed. I think when the run on WR's start it's Garrett Wilson - Treylon Burks- Jameson Williams and Chris Olave. It happens in very Draft sometimes some players don't go where they are initially projected. What if London is available at 21? I think he could potentially be the Gronk of WR's but would he give us Harry flash backs?? :maybenot:

Yeah I have already said I'm not going to make Harry make me think any less of London. I feel that London could potentially drop some in this Draft I could be wrong but I feel some Teams might be a little concerned with his lack of top end speed. I think when the run on WR's start it's Garrett Wilson - Treylon Burks- Jameson Williams and Chris Olave. It happens in very Draft sometimes some players don't go where they are initially projected. What if London is available at 21? I think he could potentially be the Gronk of WR's but would he give us Harry flash backs?? :maybenot:
He's not going to give me any Harry flashbacks, because his routes are precise and because he has some sudden quickness getting off the line. It's true he is not going to blow by people. But the Harry comparison is not right. Here we have a route runner with quickness, and a guy who knows how to use his body well.

He's not going to give me any Harry flashbacks, because his routes are precise and because he has some sudden quickness getting off the line. It's true he is not going to blow by people. But the Harry comparison is not right. Here we have a route runner with quickness, and a guy who knows how to use his body well.
I like him but would he be a good fit for our current Offense? We are one of the slower Offenses we need a Player who can run by people that's why I like others from the position. I think we are going have great possession guys in Bourne and Parker we now need a Nine route blow the Top off the Defense type.

See, I think that Burks, with his ability to beat press coverage on the outside, is exactly the type of WR the Pats need. You use Burks like the Pats used Edelman. Moving him around and hitting him on the Outside after he's beaten the coverage and you'll have TONS of YAC. Burs could line up in the slot opposite Parker in 21 sets or any one of the positions in 31 sets.

Drafting Burks would be the only reason I'd be ok with the Pats NOT drafting Phillips (my binkie).

I'm hoping for Marcus Jones in the 3rd and Phillips in the 4th. Jones has the ability to start as the back-up to Jon Jones as the Slot Corner and Jones has played offense, so he could easily be a trick play receiver or a back-up slot receiver. And Jones brings a TON of return ability with him

See, I think that Burks, with his ability to beat press coverage on the outside, is exactly the type of WR the Pats need. You use Burks like the Pats used Edelman. Moving him around and hitting him on the Outside after he's beaten the coverage and you'll have TONS of YAC. Burs could line up in the slot opposite Parker in 21 sets or any one of the positions in 31 sets.
This could be an interesting scenario. haven't thought about that. I can't believe we go WR early day 1 or 2 and Burks being available in a trade down. I am thinking of Packers or Chiefs for Burks.
Drafting Burks would be the only reason I'd be ok with the Pats NOT drafting Phillips (my binkie).
I know, he is a good one, good job, he is a riser i believe
I'm hoping for Marcus Jones in the 3rd and Phillips in the 4th. Jones has the ability to start as the back-up to Jon Jones as the Slot Corner and Jones has played offense, so he could easily be a trick play receiver or a back-up slot receiver. And Jones brings a TON of return ability with him
i would take that although i would like to see an outside corner first.

I've mentioned this a few times but he was excellent vs press / outside. He was Arkansas entire offense so they used him as such. I think that'll still be the case but he'll be outside a lot more. We could use a guy like Burks imo. London looks like a great player can never have to many of those but I wouldn't mind Williams either.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back