PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 PTP Draft Board / Pats Draft Talk

Really don’t understand our draft this year. Cole Strange, Bailey Zappe are the very confusing and odd picks. Strange I still don’t understand and don’t think I will, I preferred Kinnard, Jamaree Salyer both who went in the 5th and sixth rounds, who I feel would be better players.

Bailey Zappe I just think it’s reach for a back up QB when there are so many holes in this roster. If he was taken in the sixth I could understand but in the 4th I don’t.

Not sure what everyone else feels but this draft has felt slightly underwhelming considering the trades we’ve made and the players we could of taken.

I downloaded your last sheet posted before the draft and this is what you had at CB. Did you update it again and I missed it?

CB
ANDREW BOOTH
TRENT MCDUFFIE
KYLER GORDON
ROGER MCCREARY
ALONTAE TAYLOR
ZYON MCCOLLUM
CAM TAYLOR-BRITT
JALYN ARMOUR-DAVIS
CHASE LUCAS
CHRIS STEELE
AKAYLEB EVANS
JOSHUA WILLIAMS

You didn't miss anything.

The Jones boys Both ****ing Suck (especially JackOff) and didn't ****ing deserve to be on the list.

And as a NON-pass-catcher is Absolutely ****ing USELESS to us.
Eh..I don’t think it’s necessarily that cut/dry. SDSU is a predominantly run-based system. Seeing as they only had 404 pass attempts (27 APG) & 553 rush attempts (37 APG), I’d say he either wasn’t the 1st/2nd read on most pass plays and/or he wasn’t given many opportunities out of the back field. However, when given the opportunity, he made the most of them. Also, SDSU is usually leading in those MVFC games due to being one of the best teams in the conference, which results in more runs to burn clock. Hopefully, he’ll develop..we’ll see.

Last edited:
What amazes me is that the Pats' brass (Belichick, Groh) seem ecstatic about the picks. Either they know something about these players that the rest of the league didn't or they were on crack when making the selections

What amazes me is that the Pats' brass (Belichick, Groh) seem ecstatic about the picks. Either they know something about these players that the rest of the league didn't or they were on crack when making the selections
We seem underwhelmed because the team ONLY addressed the following needs
IN THE FIRST FOUR ROUNDS OF THE DRAFT
1) a starting LG
2) a fine speedy addition at WR
3) two new corners
4) a top punt and kick returner
5) a 2023 3rd rounder
6) a backup QB
7) a #4 RB to develop for 2023 when we will likely lose at least one RB

AND WE TOOK FLYERS IN THE LATE ROUNDS (hopefully Practice Squad additions) ON
8) OG
9) OT
10) DT
11) RB ( two might leave in 2023)
12) [plus the usual flyers from the UDFA crop]
=======================
THE BOTTOM LINE IS
that the draft couldn't meet all of our needs. IMO, each pick met a need.

We have met needs through re-signings, through trades before the draft, through free agency before the draft and through the draft.

Folks seem to be so upset that they rate the draft as a D or F for ONLY meeting 7 needs in the first four rounds.

Free agency isn't over; there is only four months to go. Also, trades are certainly possible through the trade deadline. Just perhaps, the team wants to see more from our front six players (especially with regard to health) before making more moves. My HOPE is that one or two additions are made before long (Flowers and Hicks stand out).

As I pointed out to one of our resident Bucs fans, the Pats being "bad drafters" is a bit overrated. Sure, we missed on a number of players over the years but here is what BB drafted since 2012:

Chandler Jones, Hightower, Ebner, Collins, Ryan, Harmon, White, Fleming, Garappolo, Mason, Flowers, Thuney, Wise, Michel, Harris, Mac Jones, Barmore, and Stevenson. Collectlively, Bill has gotten a lot of good players.

Last edited:
We seem underwhelmed because the team ONLY addressed the following needs
IN THE FIRST FOUR ROUNDS OF THE DRAFT
1) a starting LG
2) a fine speedy addition at WR
3) two new corners
4) a top punt and kick returner
5) a 2023 3rd rounder
6) a backup QB
7) a #4 RB to develop for 2023 when we will likely lose at least one RB

AND WE TOOK FLYERS IN THE LATE ROUNDS (hopefully Practice Squad additions) ON
8) OG
9) OT
10) DT
11) RB ( two might leave in 2023)
12) [plus the usual flyers from the UDFA crop]
=======================
THE BOTTOM LINE IS
that the draft couldn't meet all of our needs. IMO, each pick met a need.

We have met needs through re-signings, through trades before the draft, through free agency before the draft and through the draft.

Folks seem to be so upset that they rate the draft as a D or F for ONLY meeting 7 needs in the first four rounds.
what? i think nobody expects that you are able to fill all your needs through the draft with limited draft capital and different strategies like BPA which does not necessarily meet a need.

The criticism is about the value of the positions and players where they were selected compared to who was available and where they were projected.
Free agency isn't over; there is only four months to go. Also, trades are certainly possible through the trade deadline. Just perhaps, the team wants to see more from our front six players (especially with regard to health) before making more moves. My HOPE is that one or two additions are made before long (Flowers and Hicks stand out).

Harris has missed small stretches with injuries, and behind him we really only have Stevenson for that role. Harris is likely gone in FA next year, so this gives the Pats insurance and allows him to be like the 4th RB on the team learning from the vets before they would have to lean on him, short of any injuries

He seems like a legit player and homerun threat

Either they know something about these players that the rest of the league didn't or they were on crack when making the selections
why-not-both-why-not.gif

As I pointed out to one of our resident Bucs fans, the Pats being "bad drafters" is a bit overrated. Sure, we missed on a number of players over the years but here is what BB drafted since 2012:

Chandler Jones, Hightower, Ebner, Collins, Ryan, Harmon, White, Fleming, Garappolo, Mason, Flowers, Thuney, Wise, Michel, Harris, Mac Jones, Barmore, and Stevenson. Collectlively, Bill has gotten a lot of good players.
Sony was a horrible player! he benefited from that Great Blocking OL which included Gronk he was going through Alley ways.

Coach cap: this kid looks Barry Sanders fast I don't ever remember Barry Sanders catching the football. I think Strong is going to be the best Patriots' player from this Draft he's going push Harris and Stevens for playing time. RB is a Brute Strength for the Patriots this year so many interchangeables I love the pick and I think he can catch the football.

Sony was a horrible player! he benefited from that Great Blocking OL which included Gronk he was going through Alley ways.

Sony was not "horrible". The Rams gave us a 4th round pick when Sony was in his 4th year - no-one gives up a 4th round pick for one year on a rookie contract for a "horrible" player. Either the Rams are complete idiots or you need to "be better".

Sony was not "horrible". The Rams gave us a 4th round pick when Sony was in his 4th year - no-one gives up a 4th round pick for one year on a rookie contract for a "horrible" player. Either the Rams are complete idiots or you need to "be better".
Correction how about Horrible First Round Selection is that better?? The guy never improved can't get out of his own way he was a meh pick.

Correction how about Horrible First Round Selection is that better?? The guy never improved can't get out of his own way he was a meh pick.

Meh pick is OK. Disappointing 1st rounder is OK. I agree with both and I think he was a disappointment. Even when I watched his highlights I thought he looked choppy and a bit awkward. Watching him play here and at LA, I think he still looked awkward. Luckily Thornton and Strong both look smooth, natural and fast to me so I am hopeful (even though the draft experts don't like the picks).

It seems pretty pointless to argue with someone who doesn't allow their ignorance to get in the way of sneering at men who play for the team they (allegedly) root for: "Michel who every time the football come his way via a pass did this."

But we should remember and appreciate this excellent touchdown:

The problem with people like you is that you think draft picks have to become pro bowlers or HOFers for them to be good picks. otherwise they are failures.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back