PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 PTP Draft Board / Pats Draft Talk

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the PTP (Patriot-Type Player) Board. I'll add to it including prospect notes, horizontal / vertical board. Just the hori board is up now but you get the idea. This will be my 12th year grading prospects so I just use my experience for their value.

I'll change it from time to time based on info we get. The combine & athletic testing helps a lot. That really sorts things out. I use that, past trends. Player tendencies & my experience to come up with the list. This isn't just a list of guys I like or w/e. Or rank how I feel. Like grading all prospects, I take most of my opinion out of it.
I'll update it a few times before the draft. It's been said the NEP draft board is small. Around 50-125 prospects. Most boards are smaller believe it or not. Mine is about 110-111 as of right now. I always try to get it around 100 to get it as close to lifelike as possible. Recently I've hit (a hit btw, imo, is just being right on the prospect selected, drafted or udfa. Not what happens after = how good they end up being. I'm just predicting & playing scout not a coach) on Dugger, Wynn, Crossen, Sony, Duke Dawson, Froholdt, Stidham, Keene, Wino, Uche, Asiasi, Onwenu, Lewerke, Bryant, Mac, Mcgrone, Sherman, Harris, Sam, Rivers & Berrios.

6 in 2018, 4 in 2019, 7 in 2020 & 3 last year. Although my dumbasss took Barmore & Perk off my board a few weeks before last year's draft even though wondering out loud "would Barmore be the missing piece on this DL" Safe to say we need more help.

Please if you think someone should be on or off just make a case for them. This is a fluid process up until the draft so very little is set in stone.

How the positions stack up ...

Top Heavy with good depth - CB, Edge/Rush, WR

Really good but little depth - OT, Saf

Solid all around - LB, TE, RB

Good very little depth - IOL, IDL

Hit or Miss - QB

Team needs ...

High Priority
CB1 or 2
DL (idl - edge)

Priority
X or Slot WR
LB (coverage or physical)
Tackle

Value Groupings from @rookBoston. Outstanding post that really captures how we go about things at times. This was a home run post.

"Here’s how it works:
BB, SP and the scouting team identify a group of players who would provide roughly the same value for the team. It is absolutely critical that the staff “believes†in all the players in the value group, without exception. All of them have to be guys that the staff would feel good about drafting and would want to have on the team.
Once a player makes it into a value group, that means he is being targeted for the draft. Before the draft, the staff identify what their key needs are, and decide how they plan on filling those needs, using the value groupings they’ve defined. Generally speaking, it is possible to say, “this group of players should go in the early 1st round, this group of players should go in the late 2nd, early 3rd.â€
On draft day, as the players in a targeted value group start coming off the board, the Pats lie in wait, patiently. The first players coming off the board for a given value group set the baseline value for that group. Once a value group is down to one or two players remaining, they trade into position to take the last guy in that group.
The downside is that by definition, you are taking the guy in each Value Group which the other teams think is the worst of the bunch. But if you’ve setup the board correctly, it shouldn’t matter. It is your own evaluation that counts, not the rest of the teams.
The upside is, you get good players for rock bottom prices. Most important, you eliminate (or at least dramatically reduce) the risk that you come away with absolutely nothing."

Few names from each position & how they might fit to our system. There's a word limited (1500 I believe?) to each post so I'll keep it short & have break these up into a few different post. I'll start with DL. Btw first time I used the save button. Huge help @Ian ! I had most of these ready by Tues but keep falling asleep & being lazy after work. I would have lost them so appreciate that. I think @patfanken had an issue with that. Too busy & can't get away from the table for his boys over PF :)

Defensive Line

0/1 tech - every year I feel like there's a .. "the curious case of _______" and this year I think you could insert Jordan Davis in there. What are teams going to do with the big man? He's a prototype Pat on and off the field. Great person along with a really good prospect. You'll never have to worry about him off the field. He'll be involved in your community day one. That stuff, behind the scenes stuff, matters. And if Bill wants to keep running an old school okie front or at times tite or w/e version of "three inside the tackle" front. A good share of the time we need a force up front. A tone setter. Someone who clog, collapse, re-set, control the los over the ball. Davis can do that has plus heavy heavy hands that shock you, a large tackling radius & silly movements for his size but played less than half the snaps at UG. In part bc of a very talented DL but he's also a burger away from 400 & would be gassed at times (with the limited snap count about 30% this year I believe). Inconsistent jump off the ball but when its right, it's right & he gets all off 380 coming at you at once. Dominant play strength, hands & ability to shed / get off blocks. He'll have trouble on occasions like anyone else but he's monster over the ball & can move laterally quite well for almoat 400lbs. He'll collapse a pocket win a few rushes but also offers very little in terms of rushing the passing if we're being real. That's secondary at the position & in terms of our need but it's still 2022. You're paying a premium for him at 21 though & he's definitely the first off thw board for a NT.
Look at the extension. Davis always does a fantastic job at locking out & getting as long as possible. Consistently does a great job at using his length & he has long arms. You see this quite often him just benching dudes backwards

Other names to know ...
Travis Jones (330 +) eats doubles, can utilize his length to make it very hard to move him & decent range. Inconsistent first step and movements. He'll fight & give you a ton of effort. Good hand location & decent grip strength. Not much pass rush. Can disengage work off blocks decent range.

John Ridgeway (325) Upper half is developed. Can utilize his length, has plus hand usage & grip strength. Effort player, fighter with a big motor. Will draw doubles but lower half and footwork are up to speed to handle 2 gapping or that type of work. Tons of effort, really good quickness & movements for 320 flys around out there fun watch.

Neil Farrell - above average run defender that plays with plus gap discipline and eyes in the backfield. Plays with good leverage and knows how to wrestle around with bigger bodies but not sure he's a consistent 2 gapper & doesn't have the pass rushing skill set to really make it work in an aggressive system. Knows his role. Movements are inconsistent. 50/50 on keeping him & Ridgeway on the board?

Marquan McCall (370+) Big boy that's a pure clogger. Not much finish. At times has a hard time disengaging. Movements are decent for his size. Inconsistent ability to stack & shed. Hands are average at best. He can handle duties at 0/1 but isn't overwhelming anyone.

Noah Elliss (350) big fan of this big boy & rooting for him. Adopted by his uncle Luther who played a decade in league. 4 or 5 other close relatives that played in the league or college ball. He plays with great leverage, good footwork and lower half strength really like his movements vertically and laterally. Can't help but notice his big bubble in air pre-snap. Love a big bubble butt. Thick legs. Plus motor really moves well for his size. Natural & functionally strong. Good burst & quicks. Very athletic for 350. Active hands that could improve but shows good techniques.

More names ...
DJ Davidson, Jayden Peevey

DT / UT - Base End - I'm a big fan of Leal but he's not a 2 gapper rn. Not exactly pats prototype but his talent and skill set would be much welcomed here. We need the finish, pass rush, athleticism & we know how good is Bill at putting players in the right position to win. That's what Leal needs, what all prospects need. He needs to add weight & strength but his upside is real imo. I wouldn't say freaky movements but his agility & fluidity are pretty sweet for 290 +. Great snatch technique to catch tackles over-setting / over-extending - he caught Neal a few times like that with his hands too wide, along with using a swim move to blow past OL'm. Can squeeze down the line & keep his outside shoulder clean to cut off the sideline. Inconsistent handling power. Big time versatility that's effective not just a selling point. More effective inside imo taking advantage of less athletic guards but he can work from just about anywhere. Really impressive laterally movements ability. Isn't a master of a trade yet but isn't out in the wilderness in terms of alignment & home. If he needs help being integrated in a scheme I trust Bill to do that. Arrested for having pot on him not too long ago.

Other names to know ...
Devonte Wyatt - Active hands, keeps working for better placement throughout rep. Love his ability to keep working no matter what's thrown at him. Smart player that ID's what's in front of him. Uses his muscle but he's a smart player that figures it out rather than going through you. Partly by design / makeup. Love his toughness. Not a 2 gapper but everything else is there imo that'll we'll think highly of him. Knack for splitting doubles or creases through los. Ricochets off bodies, good contact balance & lateral footwork.

Phidarian Mathis - high floor player that can immediately step in as a 34 end & excel at defending the run. Big time anchor, lower half strength & drive with the ability to read blocks. Plays with discipline, savvy & always with leverage. Smart tough player that's an easy PTP. Not that quick but he's a force that requires your attention bc of strength. Has a few moves - swim, works a lot of things off his rip move. Michael Brokers type that knows his role.

Perrion Winfrey - love his ability to get vertical. Can penetrate the los & disrupt with them best of 'em in the class. Doesn't have an anchor, lower half needs to get a lot stronger. Freaky length. His foot speed & burst are legit. Project that needs nurturing & development. OK didn't do him any favors in terms of alignment. 3-4-5 tech that needs a patient coach.

More names ...
Zach Carter

Edge / Rush who you can kick inside
I suppose you could include Leal in here but we've been over him.

I love Travon Walkers upside. Was looked at in basketball & football coming out HS. I talk about movement(s) a lot bc I believe the simple things are important combined with technique & hard work. His movements are freaky for 280. He's raw but explosive AF & the traits are there in spades. Love the upside here. He can handle OL & use his length or go in a phone booth & fist fight you. Plus contact balance & overall balance. He's an absolute beast at almost 280 & it's a coordinated & control attack.

Other names to know ...
George Karlaftis - big fan. He's a power player with plus hands, motor & burst. Doesn't have prototype length but he's crafty. Twitchy with heavy hands & ability to get skinny - knows where to attack & where the weak points are. Very smart savvy prospect when it comes to knowing reading tackles. Not the most flexible rusher.

Jermaine Johnson - transfer from UG. Stand up OLB to DE. Smart crafty rusher with length. Lots of attitude & toughness. Explosive. Can move vertically & laterally. Smart player that reads & puts info in the back of his mind for later. Always has a pass run plan. Can hold his ground & reset in the run game. Solid floor with room to improve all-around.

Mafe is explosive off the line. Really good jumo off the ball. Inconsistent run defender. Proper frame & physique that could stand a few lbs. Movements are pretty sweet for his size he can move with smaller players in the flat or short areas. Doesn't know how to use his tools yet but his athleticism is crazy. Plus hands that will chop & stun you. Fast with good agility. Really coming into his own in terms of his body he's added like 50lbs since arriving so still can max out what he has in terms of strength & putting it together to work functionally.

Sam Williams - I actually think he has an outside shot as a replacement for HT, maybe OLB opposite Judon? Long shot I know but there's similarities like size, toughness, position & task. Williams is used to taking on bigger bodies in a 3 man front but isn't likely to be doing that next level. I'd love to see what Bill could do with him & his versatility. Sexual battery charge dropped nothing since & seems to know he got a 2nd chance. Tough defender who attacks straight up. Doesn't sell out & try to take the easy way out - he'll take on, fight off blocks & doesn't run around them. Shows good agility & movement around the los. Smaller for a DE or DL but he's tough with good contact balance.

Cam Thomas - is someone who should be talked about a little more imo. Former TE in HS. Former DT in college that is used to that fighting against bigger linemen. Wide nine, 3T, he can attack from anyone & can overwhelm OL'm with his combo of size, athleticism & toughness. He's a string powerful hybrid with plus hands & feet. Has that double swipe / swipe, touch & go hand tools to beat OL'm. Jumps off the screen with force. Athletic & crafty rusher. All around good run defender that isn't a killer could show more aggression but plenty to work with.

More names ...
Josh Paschal, Logan Hall, Arnold Ebiketie, Isaiah Thomas

Few things to keep in mind as well. I haven't looked into it for other teams but we've drafted teammates like 15 times in Bill's tenure. We seem to make the most of the looks we give. So if you get a feeling look around for another prospect bc chances are we don't just like one prospect. There's more than one good prospect on the team. Plus we have no problem going back to the same schools for talent. I'm sure a lot of teams can say this but we love Bama, Michigan, Florida, Georgia.

We also have no problem drafting for need. This gets a bad wrap but there's no problem drafting for need. It's only when you reach. Drafting for need makes a lot of sense actually. Don't ignore the obvious. It's just when reach & take a prospect two rounds too early. It happens.

WR

X - Feature

Garrett Wilson - gets a ton separation in general esp off the top of his routes. Plus body control & sudden stop/start ability. Can easily get in/out of his breaks. Can adjust with the best of 'em. YAC threat on screens/off motion - effective out slot. Plus at running slants, crossing & go routes. Plenty of film beating press, man / off. Plus release / footwork & good hand usage. Hit or miss blocker with lots of room to get better. Very nuanced r/r. He looks like a solid WR1 A/B high-end WR2 that will make some QB very happy.

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1493955951312912385?t=OXck1aoeXnsTy2CYCW4Nfg&s=19

Jahan Dotson - Slippery, quick & sudden. Plus r/r with vision of a RB. Efficient clean steps getting in/out of breaks. Needs to get stronger & become a better hand fighter in-route. Like Wilson he's crafty & can really work tempo into his routes. Uses w/e he can find for an advantage & uses it. Point guard footwork, quickness that stresses an opponents leverage & reactions. Good enough blocker. 22 yo rookie. Weapon in space that could be a low-end 1B or legit WR2

https://twitter.com/eric_crocker/status/1457104885443350531?t=2MWRbCXLhPBK244pzPCJVA&s=19

Jameson Williams - left OSU behind multiple WR's. Wasn't interested in blocking or learning their system. It's amazing what a year in Bama will do for you. Electric game changing speed with an extra gear at the top. Short area quickness that can move laterally & make you miss. Not sure he's made to be on a physical, run first team like ours but his speed is exactly what we need outside. His speed is just different, has top tier acceleration too. He was a game changer last year.

Other names to know ...
Chris Olave runs professional routes & looks the part in so many ways there. Everything looks the same. Body & head discipline are always tight & in sync. There's a bunch of different variations & outliers everywhere but if you want to be a good-great WR you have to be great at running certain routes (slant, in & out, hitch, crossing/over. You could throw "go" routes in there if you want. Olave isn't explosive or intimidating but just gets it done & is probably the best r/r in his class.

John Metchie - for obvious reasons. Plus tracking, release & yac ability. Tape is good, kind of hit or miss against physical corners. Elam & other tough corners, secondaries gave him fits at times. You can use him a little inside & outside. Worked great out of trips & bunches. Torn ACL. Tough player that should put on some muscle coming off his injury to help handle himself better.

Romeo Doubs - isn't the most versatile but could be the deep threat we need. Eats up a cushion. Can run by you. Tough physical runner that does serious work down field. Will occasionally make a "wow" play. Release & tracking ability have improved each year. Takes advantage of cushions & DB's dropping too far in zone respecting his speed. Nothing really wasted coming in/out of his breaks.

More names ...
Alec Pierce, Michael Woods

Weapon X with slot skills
Treylon Burks - I called him "AK Browncalf" last summer bc he reminds me of AJ Brown & DK. Also gives you "good" Josh Gordon vibes. A bigger Deebo? Burks is country strong with Hakeem Nicks size hands (xxxxxl). No nonsense attitude & elite H/W/S at 6'3/230 while running a 4.4. Burks can work anywhere, actually did a done of damage behind the los but also did plenty outside the #'s. Ask Bama fans if you don't believe me. They have athletes everywhere & couldn't catch him. Has to get better against press to make it full time outside but he can beat it. Plus blocker but could improve. He'll shake off arm & weak tackles. You need a plan for him but he's a weapon & a half.

Other names to know ...
David Bell - is a potential power slot / x. Tough with good understanding of what it takes to win snap to snap. Solid overall release with good variety leading into hia stem. Can adjust or work through contact. He works to get open its not bc of natural gifts. Very good r/r you can use in a variety of ways - motion, bunches, inside/outside, scheme touches or just within offense. Very tough prospect that gives & takes contact. Very good working MOF. Made some circus rec all over. Plus body control.

Slot - Z Gadget
Kyle Phillips is already a fan favorite here I believe. Trusted target with reliable hands. Plucks the ball away from his body. Shifty, elusive & looks like Renfrow's little brother stop & starting. If it's near him he'll catch it. Does most of his work in the shallow MOF. Might be a nice quick option r/r there. YAC. Smart player that knows his role. Can return punts.

Calvin Austin III - small but one of the fastest people walking around. Burner speed. Twitchy with real burst. Water bug in the open field with real suddenness & acceleration. Knows how to win at the top of his route. Little big of a project but went from walk on to potential mid round NFL pick. Has what it takes to contribute right away as a gadget player & work up from there.

Wan'dale Robinson - simply put the pats have had trouble beating man coverage for like 3 years now. We need an easy button that win against man. Get some yac & move the chains. Occasionally take a deep shot from the slot. All of these guys can do that. Robinson has really good hands that don't make tough, tight rec's & isn't afraid of contact. Small & isn't a burner but he's very elusive & always makes the first guy miss. Tough for his size.

Christian Watson - he's another favorite of mine. I got to know his brother, Tre, a little bit, a few years ago before his process so I'm pulling for him. Let me say with respect to Tre, Christian, is a much better prospect lol even though they played different positions. Christian has outstanding play speed & elusiveness for 6'4. Powerful track strides with real acceleration that intimidate defenders. Route tree is limited but that's not a huge deal as long as the prospect has shown the ability even in a small sample. Teams are installing their offense not NDSU etc. Really good on screens, post, curl/comeback. Lots of potential with deep overs. Track & field background with other events. Well respected by players, opposing players & coaches. Hard worker with some real gifts. I think he would be a great fit as a "Z" here.

https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1494783416323166210?t=weAeXo1hz92doUT-WOuP_w&s=19

Other names to know ...
Khalil Shakir, Skyy Moore, Britain Covey

A lot of work goes into this. Thank you for posting!!! Great job and very informative. This is going to be a huge offseason for us, both in free agency and the draft. If we want to continue our improvement, we must have drafts like last year where our top few picks are contributing right away.

LB

Physical Prototype Pats (Spikes, Hightower, Mayo)
Leo Chenal - is a little bull. Love watching him in his power stance mugged up right over the OL. Powerful, versatile, tough sob that represents the Wisky brand well. He's not just an "effort" prospect. Legit athlete that can move with almost anyone. Big hitter! Tone setter. Very smart, he's ID'g a play before the play is snapped. Plus run defender that can pressure the QB. He's PTP as it gets.

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1478753416713232384?t=a3ppBTSOMltOrp31UqXEtQ&s=19

Darrian Beavers - similar prospect actually in many regards. Chanel is more explosive, just a better athlete. Beavers is ahead of him mentally on some areas but Chanel's upside is bigger. Beavers isn't the athlete but can handle OL'm & himself on the los with the best of 'em. Can handle himself in coverage in the HT / Bentley role. We really don't ask much there.

Brandon Smith - has the tools but the finish isn't there. Inconsistent in many aspects but has size we like, looks like an athlete with some length, physical has play making ability. Has a little potential as a 3 down backer but his processing, tackling ability & technique(s) are inconsistent. Lots of flashes but he's a project on day 3. Get stronger spend a year around other top tier backers in the film room & you could have something. 50/50 on whether to put him on the board.

Chad Muma - is a madman who plays the game the way fans love. I get Logan Wilson (got a 2nd from me) vibes maybe I'm off but I really like his physicality even though he needs to add a little more muscle to really hang up front. Like Wilson I like his ability to mirror the backfield & shut down outside runs. Functional in space can handle himself in the shallow cross MOF. Plus eyes that help ID before most plays start. Motor & effort are NFL caliber but needs to add on some muscle before hes full time tilt.

Christian Harris - former CB in HS with plus instincts in man coverage. Inconsistent in zone. Drops past his marks & really was a fish out of water for a while. Instincts are off. Above average all together with real potential. Plus athleticism for 240. Inconsistent taking on OL'm but truthfully Bama's DC Golding was a part of the problem as he works with the inside guys specifically. Harris has inconsistent tape but the good is really good & he's still got untapped potential. Seems very coachable. I'm sure Bill & Nick will talk over this year's crop.

Athleticism & Coverage

Quay Walker - very intriguing all-around prospect. Raw flashes proper instincts & smarts. Like Harris he'll have trouble dropping to his marks. Squeezing shallow crossers but has the makings there. Impressive athletic ability to keep up in man. Physical prospect that is inconsistent when taking on or rushing OL'm but again flashes big time. Inconsistent techniques all around. Bit of project but his tools are real & numerous.

Troy Anderson is one of the more interesting prospects in the LB class. Real potential in coverage imo. Experience at QB, RB, multiple LB spots. He's raw AF & is a project no doubt. Don't get it twisted but he's got real NFL speed / play speed. Real closing speed. Range & motor. I think he could help out in several areas & possibly be developed while starting & hopefully excelling on ST early on. Like Walker very raw but flashes recognition skills in coverage that come from experience. Obviously he's been studying & paying attention.

Other names to know ...
Damone Clark - rangy prospect that can mirror laterally & get vertically up field in a hurry. Athletic & physical but techniques are lacking taking in OL'm. Specifically hand placement & processing what block is coming. Understands where he's supposed to be in zone drops. He could handle what we ask here in terms of coverage. Size & speed are NFL prototype.

Devin Lloyd - is a great prospect but just struggle to see the fit at times. Maybe in the Collins role. Excellent range, closing speed, chase & pursuit, rushing the passer. Older prospect that isn't as physical as we'd like & is expected to go RD1. Love the prospect & wouldn't complain but making up the board. Trying to stay true in certain regards is tough. I'm 50/50 on him being on the board from past history.

LB

Physical Prototype Pats (Spikes, Hightower, Mayo)
Leo Chenal - is a little bull. Love watching him in his power stance mugged up right over the OL. Powerful, versatile, tough sob that represents the Wisky brand well. He's not just an "effort" prospect. Legit athlete that can move with almost anyone. Big hitter! Tone setter. Very smart, he's ID'g a play before the play is snapped. Plus run defender that can pressure the QB. He's PTP as it gets.

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1478753416713232384?t=a3ppBTSOMltOrp31UqXEtQ&s=19

Darrian Beavers - similar prospect actually in many regards. Chanel is more explosive, just a better athlete. Beavers is ahead of him mentally on some areas but Chanel's upside is bigger. Beavers isn't the athlete but can handle OL'm & himself on the los with the best of 'em. Can handle himself in coverage in the HT / Bentley role. We really don't ask much there.

Brandon Smith - has the tools but the finish isn't there. Inconsistent in many aspects but has size we like, looks like an athlete with some length, physical has play making ability. Has a little potential as a 3 down backer but his processing, tackling ability & technique(s) are inconsistent. Lots of flashes but he's a project on day 3. Get stronger spend a year around other top tier backers in the film room & you could have something. 50/50 on whether to put him on the board.

Chad Muma - is a madman who plays the game the way fans love. I get Logan Wilson (got a 2nd from me) vibes maybe I'm off but I really like his physicality even though he needs to add a little more muscle to really hang up front. Like Wilson I like his ability to mirror the backfield & shut down outside runs. Functional in space can handle himself in the shallow cross MOF. Plus eyes that help ID before most plays start. Motor & effort are NFL caliber but needs to add on some muscle before hes full time tilt.

Christian Harris - former CB in HS with plus instincts in man coverage. Inconsistent in zone. Drops past his marks & really was a fish out of water for a while. Instincts are off. Above average all together with real potential. Plus athleticism for 240. Inconsistent taking on OL'm but truthfully Bama's DC Golding was a part of the problem as he works with the inside guys specifically. Harris has inconsistent tape but the good is really good & he's still got untapped potential. Seems very coachable. I'm sure Bill & Nick will talk over this year's crop.

Athleticism & Coverage

Quay Walker - very intriguing all-around prospect. Raw flashes proper instincts & smarts. Like Harris he'll have trouble dropping to his marks. Squeezing shallow crossers but has the makings there. Impressive athletic ability to keep up in man. Physical prospect that is inconsistent when taking on or rushing OL'm but again flashes big time. Inconsistent techniques all around. Bit of project but his tools are real & numerous.

Troy Anderson is one of the more interesting prospects in the LB class. Real potential in coverage imo. Experience at QB, RB, multiple LB spots. He's raw AF & is a project no doubt. Don't get it twisted but he's got real NFL speed / play speed. Real closing speed. Range & motor. I think he could help out in several areas & possibly be developed while starting & hopefully excelling on ST early on. Like Walker very raw but flashes recognition skills in coverage that come from experience. Obviously he's been studying & paying attention.

Other names to know ...
Damone Clark - rangy prospect that can mirror laterally & get vertically up field in a hurry. Athletic & physical but techniques are lacking taking in OL'm. Specifically hand placement & processing what block is coming. Understands where he's supposed to be in zone drops. He could handle what we ask here in terms of coverage. Size & speed are NFL prototype.

Devin Lloyd - is a great prospect but just struggle to see the fit at times. Maybe in the Collins role. Excellent range, closing speed, chase & pursuit, rushing the passer. Older prospect that isn't as physical as we'd like & is expected to go RD1. Love the prospect & wouldn't complain but making up the board. Trying to stay true in certain regards is tough. I'm 50/50 on him being on the board from past history.

As usual BGC, you are my favourite poster this time of year, rest of the year you're not too bad either, lol. Keep up the great work that you do for all the rest of us. Very much appreciated.

Tackle
Penning will be a fan favorite for a few teams bc of the attitude & toughness he plays with. He's a fun player that loves what he does. He's very much a football player. Love his hands & ability to generate power from his core. He's bury you put dirt on you & jump on top on you again to let you know. Footwork needs works. Different schools ask different things. To play with this angle or that technique. I like his potential but in the 2nd.

Darian Kinnard - another bully that can toss you from the power he generates by the waist. He's got heavy hands, bodyguard attitude & demeanor. He'll get front loaded on the move & against certain rushers from time to time. Can get up field & move east west but his balance & body control are up & down. I think he'd excel in power run game like we ran last year but actually spent a fair amount of time zone blocking at UK.

Abraham Lucas - had been on my radar for years now. Top tier pass protector with great balance & body control. Instinctive & very smart in terms of what's coming at him & how to deal with it. Plus grip strength & hand placement. Has a little trouble with power, anchor is below average. Average run blocker most of the time with limited movements in space but gets it done. Tough & athletic enough. Even against the best the country has to offer he holds his own. This isn't random either he's got great tape against the best rushers around.

Other names to know ...

Daniel Faalele - is a monster of a man at almost 6'9/400! Incredible athlete for his size. Nothing is lumbering or slow. Easy mover who removes what's in front of him with ease. Minne ran a pretty sweet run game & he was tasked with doing a lot of small things that don't show up in the box score. Very impressive techniques & movement in the run game. Has to develop better instincts in pass pro. Consistently over sets doesn't seem to have a feel or real plan there. Work in progress with incredible upside.

Obinna Eze - is a big boy thats really new to the game. Naturally aggressive with a bully attitude. I think there's more there to work with once he gets more experience. Very comfortable & confident mauling defenders on down blocks. Can utilize his length on reach blocks but could be a bit more consistent on hand placement, pad level & again just needs more experience. Not a freak athlete, I don't think but he stands out when you watch him. Quick movements, nothing lazy or slow.

Nicholas Petit-Frere - big time recruit, one if the best & strongest high school players in the country at his position. Can play either spot. Mobility & movement skills stand out. Feet are always firing, shuffling or ready to move. Confident pass protector that handled top tier speed rushers. Gets ahead of himself coming off blocks & could sustain more. Hands & feet don't always work in concert run blocking.

Tackle
Penning will be a fan favorite for a few teams bc of the attitude & toughness he plays with. Strong af that can squat near 700lbs. He's a fun player that loves what he does. He's very much a football player. Love his hands & ability to generate power from his core. Nice grip strength & use of hands. He'll use different techniques like snatch & aiming points on strikes. He's bury you put dirt on you & jump on top on you again to let you know. Footwork needs works but he can move a little bit, light feet. Different schools ask different things. To play with this angle or that technique. I like his potential but in the 2nd.

Darian Kinnard - another bully that can toss you from the power he generates by the waist. He's got heavy hands, bodyguard attitude & demeanor. He'll get front loaded on the move & against certain rushers from time to time. Can get up field & move east west but his balance & body control are up & down. I think he'd excel in power run game like we ran last year but actually spent a fair amount of time zone blocking at UK. I think he's got serious potential inside as a G too? He's money in a phone booth bc it exaggerates his ability to get vertical on down blocks & showcase his power.

Abraham Lucas - had been on my radar for years now. Top tier pass protector with great balance & body control. Has shut down some of best rushers in the country. Instinctive & very smart in terms of what's coming at him & how to deal with it. Plus grip strength & hand placement. Has trouble with power, anchor is below average at times. Has to widen his base off initial don't contact. Average run blocker most of the time with limited movements in space. Tough & athletic enough. Plus hands & ability to utilize his length. Good hand usage overall.

Other names to know ...
Daniel Faalele - is a monster of a man at almost 6'9/400! Incredible athlete for his size. Nothing is lumbering or slow. Easy mover who removes what's in front of him with ease. Minne ran a pretty sweet, detailed run game & he was tasked with doing a lot of small things that don't show up in the box score. Very impressive techniques & movement in the run game. Has to develop better instincts in pass pro. Consistently over sets doesn't seem to have a feel or real plan there. Work in progress with incredible upside. Play strength combined with his quickness & footwork is sweet.

Obinna Eze - is a big boy that's really new to the game. Naturally aggressive with a bully attitude. I think there's more there to work with once he gets more experience. Very comfortable & confident mauling defenders on down blocks. Can utilize his length on reach blocks but could be a bit more consistent on hand placement, pad level & again just needs more experience. Not a freak athlete, I don't think but he stands out when you watch him. Quick movements, nothing lazy or slow.

Nicholas Petit-Frere - big time recruit, one if the best & strongest high school players in the country at his position. Can play either spot. Mobility & movement skills stand out. Feet are always firing, shuffling or ready to move. Confident pass protector that handled top tier speed rushers. Gets ahead of himself coming off blocks & could sustain more. Hands & feet don't always work in concert run blocking.

Bernhardt Raimann seems like a BB type pick. From Austria, only been playing sport for 6 years, moved to tackle from TE. He's probably got a lot more to learn but the mental and physical properties are high. He's been sliding up and down the projections so it'll be interesting to see if he slides. Probably a 3rd/4th Rounder in a deeper draft but I'd take him in the 2nd.

"Here’s how it works:
BB, SP and the scouting team identify a group of players who would provide roughly the same value for the team. It is absolutely critical that the staff “believes†in all the players in the value group, without exception. All of them have to be guys that the staff would feel good about drafting and would want to have on the team.
Once a player makes it into a value group, that means he is being targeted for the draft. Before the draft, the staff identify what their key needs are, and decide how they plan on filling those needs, using the value groupings they’ve defined. Generally speaking, it is possible to say, “this group of players should go in the early 1st round, this group of players should go in the late 2nd, early 3rd.â€
On draft day, as the players in a targeted value group start coming off the board, the Pats lie in wait, patiently. The first players coming off the board for a given value group set the baseline value for that group. Once a value group is down to one or two players remaining, they trade into position to take the last guy in that group.
The downside is that by definition, you are taking the guy in each Value Group which the other teams think is the worst of the bunch. But if you’ve setup the board correctly, it shouldn’t matter. It is your own evaluation that counts, not the rest of the teams.
The upside is, you get good players for rock bottom prices. Most important, you eliminate (or at least dramatically reduce) the risk that you come away with absolutely nothing."

Love this kind of actual insight. (Everything else, too.)

How you and Ken have been posting the cumulative equivalent of War and Peace without using save and undo functions is mind blowing. Like you've used a typewriter with carbon paper and Whiteout.

Great work as always @BaconGrundleCandy, we're very fortunate to have you here.

He didn't make your PTP list, but I'd be curious as to your thoughts on Tre Turner, who I think has intriguing traits and suffered from poor QB play and a limited scheme.

Thanks @BaconGrundleCandy for giving us true novices so much help. I was hoping that I'd see a detailed draft analysis and it looks like I got it, though it might take me some time to absorb it all. Thanks again.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this, BCG. Gives me a great start on focusing my draft predictions/hopes, and what to look for. Makes this time of the year so much more fun.

Great work as always BGC, this forum is lucky to have you putting in so much work!

I definitely agree with your listed priorities though if JC comes back (which I don’t expect) then I would elevate ILB to the 2nd spot given the age of the overall starting group combined with the unknown statuses of McMillen, McGrone, and Jennings. Otherwise I’m hoping they do as Captain Stone is advocating and trade down from 21 to pick up an additional pick in the late 2nd or early 3rd and go CB, IDL, and LB in no specific order, unless a WR who can legitimately stretch the field, e.g., Burks or Williams is available at 21.

Every year this exercise makes me feel like a kid with a Christmas list with every item essential but waaay too long to possibly be filled.

I want that, and that, and that, and....sigh.

The weeks after the combine are one of my favorite parts of the year.

Thanks again, @BaconGrundleCandy

From the write ups above, it sounds like there's ample opportunity to get Barmore a very good NT running mate.

Cornerback / Saf

Boundary - CB1

Andrew Booth - is one of my favorites in the class. Super aggressive in run support. Attacks. Divebombs like a missile blowing up screens & plays behind the los. Physical taking on blocks. Isn't happy to win a stand still battle. Athlete with a lots of attitude. Long arms. Great feet. 6'/200 with pretty decent hips, decent cod. One of the better prospects at playing the ball. Doesn't freak out, stays claim & usually always times it up right. Isn't twitchy or a true burner but more than enough speed. Efficient quick clean feet, smooth coming out his breaks. A bit inconsistent at the top. Some great reps in press that woe you lots of "wow" plays all around.

Trent McDuffie - is another one I love. Some of the plays he makes are unbelievable. High IQ, high effort prospect that makes plays all over field in different areas. 24/7 effort. One of the better guys at playing both man & zone. C1, C3, obviously experience in Cloud. Very adapt, can adjust in difficult situations. Tough run defender that comes correct when blitzing the QB. All the UW DB's are tough & expected to contribute in run support. Esp outside runs, flat area. Plus tackling ability some of the best in the class. I remember always being impressed with Myles Bryant in that area. They had some ridiculous prospects over the last few years. Duffy is a bit of a water bug out there very light on his feet & nimble. Short area quickness & lateral ability stand out in man along with his tracking ability. I think McDuffie is plug n play. Maybe never elite but really F'n good! I also think he could be money in the slot on 3rd downs.

Kaiir Elam - has some potential to be a steal imo esp if he drops out the 1st RD. Prototype size 6'2/195 with what looks to be 32" arms? Length shows up in press. In zone taking up space. Deflecting passes. Elam is a former 3 sport athlete with NFL bloodlines (father & uncle) & all that shows up. Top tier instincts, ball skills & IQ. Plus in press coverage. Hands are a bit inconsistent but when on & touches you it's usually a W for him. Some of the smoothest hips & cod in the class. Half turn is effortless in zone. He's got several pro ready skills with tons of traits.

Other names to know ...
Cam Taylor-Britt - if we're heading to more zone he might be in our future. More productive when his eyes are on the play. Smooth half turn & transitions. Tough, physical prospect with plus ball skills & route recognition. Great knack for timing up a rec & always plays through the ball. He's probably struggle against quicker twitcher WR's in the league but he's a good athlete with good foot speed. Instincts & route recognition in zone standout. Closes in on underneath routes like a boss. Comes with full force in run support or snuffing out a WR. He's got leadership qualities & brings energy to the field. Tough in press but feet fall flat on occasion. Good hand placement & strength. Low pedal. Stays square. Football player through & through. Played QB in HS. Versatility in the secondary to contribute in several areas.

Roger McCreary - has PTP written on him. So much of this position comes down to testing - if you can't run & stay with WR's, you can't play. McCreary looks sufficient in that area & should test well. Love his competitive & mental toughness. He's consistently gone up against the best in the country & performed very well. Very patient prospect that trust his technique & instincts. Doesn't panic or lose his **** if he's beat. Loves mixing it up with the best of 'em. Really good at using the sidelines to his advantage, same for red zone. Very aware of the situation, where he is. Down & distance. Very good in man & zone.

Coby Bryant - bro played in the league for a few years. Another possibility if we're moving to more zone. Very comfortable in C3 playing a 1/3. Position & angles are always sound throughout the route. Plays a little deep at times. Spacing is good for the most part though especially on underneath, routes in the flat. Tracking & ball skills are legit, he's a playmaker with the ball in the air. Tackling technique could improve, want to is there. Has the right attitude & work ethic you want. 45 INT/PD, 4 FF. Team captain.

More names ...
Derion Kendrick, Martin Emerson, Alontae Taylor & Tariq Woolen

Slot
Daxton Hill - versatility, smarts, leadership qualities - just the way he carries himself reminds me of DMC. Slot, outside, single high, hybrid backer, man-zone. He's effective almost everywhere. Great athlete with NFL speed / closing speed, COD & quickness in a small area. He's like a QB on defense - talks & sets up his guys pre-snap. Plus route recognition with sharp eyes reading the QB. Impact in run support. Can blitz off the edge.

Kyler Gordon - I'll include him here bc of his versatility & ability to play in the slot. Quite the athlete & will test well in most areas, it shows up on tape. 6'/200 tough, wants to get involved in run support & isn't afraid to get dirty. His demeanor, short area agility, tackling ability & IQ seem like a prefect fit in the slot. Aggressive with good size & strength. Enough of a size advantage there but also the athletic ability to hang with quicker players. Has enough length just has to learn how to use it in press. He's a year or two away imo. Has to gain more experience in man & work on his patience.

Other names to know ...
Marcus Jones - one of the more quicker DB's in the class. Very good return abilities. He's a playmaker with the ball in his hands. Quick efficient clean footwork. Has played everywhere in the secondary but he's a slot-only prospect next level bc of his lack of size/height. Over aggressive at times but can handle man coverage, option routes in the MOF but his lack height will come into play at times. He's an athlete that can move, turn, run with most.

Jalen Pitre - versatile prospect that has played as a hybrid backer / star position. Very good athlete that can handle multiple duties / positions bc of athletic makeup. Although he is better the closer he is to the los. Can sink & explode out of his breaks. Really good COD. Plus ball skills that knows what he's doing when the ball is in the air. Really puts in the work getting to the QB when blitzing. Very good in run support - takes proper angles & flys to the ball. Fearless but needs better tackling technique. Looks like he could handle covering TE.

More names ...
Kerby Joesph

Saf
Jaquan Brisker - best Saf in the class after Hamilton. Dynamic skill set that allows him to make an impact everywhere from the back end to behind the los. Day 1 box defender that can erase the shallow zone one minute & fire through an OL to pressure the QB next. Physical knows how to use his hands, which gaps to attack. Has some range & can make an impact deep but you'll have to live with some limitations (disguising him back there will be limited) VG tracking ability. He's very good at reading the QB's eyes but always not afraid to peel off to make a play.

Greg Eisworth - very smart player that's like an extra coach out there. Fearless in run support that sniffs out screens, stretch plays, misdirection & motion. SS/Box/Overhang player that can make a QB pay if he's sloppy. Could & should probably bulk up a little. Always chirping & talking to his teammates. Definitely an option for 3 Saf looks. Really good route recognition in the short/intermediate parts of field. Team captain.

Lewis Cine - smart player that shuts down the MOF, flat area, underneath zone. Click n close ability with little hesitation. Plus instincts, sharp eyes & anticipation. Everything registers quick from mental to physical. Good tracking ability & can mirror steps with some WR's. Big leader on UG defense.

More names ...
Bryan Cook

I posted this a few times before but I would be very intrigued to see this.
5T Leal
0 Davis
5T Barmore
OLB Judon

I've been a big Leal fan for a few years now. Tbh I stay in a bubble when it comes to this stuff. I rarely go on Twitter anymore and don't know anyone irl that obsessed with the draft lol. So I don't really see opinions until after I do my film study (Nov-Jan), around this time. There seems to be a big split on Leal?Everywhere from 1st to 3rd round grade? I'm a fan even though he has work to do. And sometimes the draft is crazy where you get a guy a little too early but also pick someone that falls like a Barmore. Anyway like I said in Mark's thread getting one or two of Leal, Davis, Wyatt, Mathis & Jones would be a home run. You might be able to add one or two more but those are the guys.

Would put Leal inside & max him out between 305-310. He's not twitched up but he's a handful in terms of movements around 300lbs. Coming at you, laterally, he's an athlete and it shows up all over the place. Not Aaron Donald or John Randle but he's got plus athleticism imo. Definitely a weapon on stunts & pressure packages.
TAMU played him on the edge too much. At almost 300 this isn't playing to his natural skill set - gifts & traits. Put him between 3 4i 5 tech and occasionally let him work over the C. Obviously rush him off the edge on at times. His versatility is real & as I like to say, effective not just a selling point in a scouting report.
He's got a good IQ. In the run game He's very good at playing RPO, RO, Misdirection. Does a Really good job keeping himself off blocks although his hands could be a little better when he's actually engaged & in a phone booth with guys. He's got some pop though with good placement and his lateral ability really helps him a lot here in terms of staying/getting off blocks. He has to get stronger no doubt. He's not a 2 gapper right this second but he's a really good all around run defender.
Rushes with a plan. Utilizes length very well. Nice long arm. Hesitation - Stutter steps pause slower linemen. Fluid spin move with ice pick to finish. Very good hand placement. Has a nice variety of moves with plenty of room for improvement in terms of sharpening techniques. Again he's not Aaron Donald but he'll add instant pass rush and athleticism to your DL.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back