PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 IDL/PTP Draft Prospects

That’s what I am saying, Davis is no first round value if you don’t project him to be a force in the passing game as well. You can find solid NT later on where snap count value to the team and draft position meet.
We gotts go passing offense or passing defense first. DE or CB is a must and there shouldn’t be two opinions about it.
I get what you're saying but you don't want to think in absolutes or something like "He's not a 3 down prospect" = not 1st RD.

I understand the times, trust I've been banging that drum for years. I try to look at the collective though. Like Davis and Jones for that matter have a lot potential to be very very good at what they do. Neither will ever be a legit pass rusher in any sense of the word but there's plenty of value in stopping the run in a 4 minute offense so your team can get the ball back. Goal line. Obvious run downs. Both offer a little versatility not much but both can play 3/5T for a handful of snaps. No concerns off the field. Even factoring in planet theory - guys like Davis don't come along very often. I'd be happy with him anywhere from 20-32. Definitely not a lottery pick but solid first RD value imo.

Travis Jones Kyler Gordon and Cole Strange with our first 3 picks don't seem too unlikely and good value/need

or Leal in the second round?

Leal-Jones-Barmore

passing down: uche/x-leal-barmore-judon
I've been sweating a

Leal
Jones
Barmore front forever that would be too sweet

I get what you're saying but you don't want to think in absolutes or something like "He's not a 3 down prospect" = not 1st RD.

I understand the times, trust I've been banging that drum for years. I try to look at the collective though. Like Davis and Jones for that matter have a lot potential to be very very good at what they do. Neither will ever be a legit pass rusher in any sense of the word but there's plenty of value in stopping the run in a 4 minute offense so your team can get the ball back. Goal line. Obvious run downs. Both offer a little versatility not much but both can play 3/5T for a handful of snaps. No concerns off the field. Even factoring in planet theory - guys like Davis don't come along very often. I'd be happy with him anywhere from 20-32. Definitely not a lottery pick but solid first RD value imo.
It's very hard to say how his supreme athleticism can be used at a position where you just kind of fight people at close quarters for 1 1/2 hours, but it's fair to say we've never seen anyone at his size run faster, jump higher, farther, etc., ever before in the NFL.

We don’t have to worry about it. He’ll be selected by the Vikings, Saints, Chargers or Eagles is my guess.

Personally I’d love to have a player like that who can instantly improve your run game, has a chance due to his physical traits to develop some pass rush ability, while swallowing up two players so your other teammates can rush as well.

I do like Wyatt and Jones so I’d be happy with any of the 3.
Wyatt is going to go before Davis in all likelihood.

Jones will be there in the second, I believe. I don't believe that MATHIS fits with what the Patriots want to do unless they're willing to continue to have a crappy run defense. The Pats have been playing a modifies 4-3 Over for quite some time. They need that guy who can line up on the Center. They still don't have that.

Travis Jones Kyler Gordon and Cole Strange with our first 3 picks don't seem too unlikely and good value/need

or Leal in the second round?

Leal-Jones-Barmore

passing down: uche/x-leal-barmore-judon

So, you're thinking 3-3-5 with Judon being the lone "EDGE" guy of the LBs? Leal lining up as the other "EDGE"/END position?

It's very hard to say how his supreme athleticism can be used at a position where you just kind of fight people at close quarters for 1 1/2 hours, but it's fair to say we've never seen anyone at his size run faster, jump higher, farther, etc., ever before in the NFL.
He has pretty decent tackling range and gives 100% although he will get gassed. He's enormous, so like 30-35% of the players in the league he'll need a little extra special attention. Versatility isn't special but he played some 3T at UG. Has length and really knows how to use it. I would use him game specific in terms of emptying out the tank.

It might be a "passing league" but every team lives & dies by their 4 min offense a few times a year. I would love to have a guy like him to combat that. Plus there will always be a center or two that just can't handle and isn't used to a guy like him charging at you for a game.

Plus and you want hear me talk like this often but I actually like fun. Jordan Davis is a big fun dude that can play ball.

Also and I've been beating this. If we're going to continue playing a lot of old school 34 we need him.

So, you're thinking 3-3-5 with Judon being the lone "EDGE" guy of the LBs? Leal lining up as the other "EDGE"/END position?
Yes exactly, i am thinking of going bigger and get another interior rusher to pair Barmore on passing downs like Leal.
Mc Grone/Wilson etc. could compete for the other LB spots and hybrid guys in sub packages. Perkins maybe as an OLB as well

I agree with your points. The reason behind my opinion is like you can get a two down NT later or trade down a bit for T.Jones but use that pick to trade up and get another quality player. I prefer this over using 21 for a NT. Like the TJ and Leal scenario. Trade 21 and 54 to detroit and select Leal and TJ at 32&34. Or use one of those picks for Gordon and trade up with 3 and 4th rd. pick for TJ. This would be really valuable for our defense.

He has pretty decent tackling range and gives 100% although he will get gassed. He's enormous, so like 30-35% of the players in the league he'll need a little extra special attention. Versatility isn't special but he played some 3T at UG. Has length and really knows how to use it. I would use him game specific in terms of emptying out the tank.

It might be a "passing league" but every team lives & dies by their 4 min offense a few times a year. I would love to have a guy like him to combat that. Plus there will always be a center or two that just can't handle and isn't used to a guy like him charging at you for a game.

Plus and you want hear me talk like this often but I actually like fun. Jordan Davis is a big fun dude that can play ball.

Also and I've been beating this. If we're going to continue playing a lot of old school 34 we need him.

Even if the Pats are playing their Modified 4-3 Over (2DTs/2 "EDGE" players) they are going to need a guy like Davis, Jones or McCall. The only way they don't is if they change their defensive thinking to a straight single gap defense. BB didn't go away from the 2Gap concept in 2002 even when Steve Martin failed to be the NT they needed. So I don't foresee him changing that.

We know that Barmore is excellent in the Pass rush and ok against the run. The problem is that whomever has lined up besides him and Judon really didn't hold their own consistently. That includes Godchaux and Guy. (Both of whom I like) .

The reality is that Godchaux and Guy are better suited as 3/5 tech guys. Neither are really suited to lining up over the Center. Barmore lined up over center, but it was clear that it wasn't a good use of his talents on running plays. He also is better suited to a 3/5 Tech. In fact, ALL of the DTs the Pats have are better suited to the 3/5 Tech than they are the 0/1 Tech.

Yes exactly, i am thinking of going bigger and get another interior rusher to pair Barmore on passing downs like Leal.
Mc Grone/Wilson etc. could compete for the other LB spots and hybrid guys in sub packages. Perkins maybe as an OLB as well
Ok. I could see that. Use Leal/Wise as the opposite Edge guy with either one of them kicking inside on 3rd and Long. Perkins would be a back-up to Judon and could sub in when Judon needed a rest. Hopefully Perkins and Uche both step it up this year. We need them to do so.

I expect McGrone/Wlison/McMillan/Bentley/Draft pick to have a good rotation

Ok. I could see that. Use Leal/Wise as the opposite Edge guy with either one of them kicking inside on 3rd and Long. Perkins would be a back-up to Judon and could sub in when Judon needed a rest. Hopefully Perkins and Uche both step it up this year. We need them to do so.

I expect McGrone/Wlison/McMillan/Bentley/Draft pick to have a good rotation
i would take that

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down