PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 will be the final draft for Ernie Adams

Ernie is gonna still run the scout team this season?

This is what you all get for complaining about our drafts.

What's the alternative. Suck it up and put up with bad drafts. If Ernie was a big part of the last few drafts, then it's the correct call. BB himself is ultimately responsible as the GM and he needs to make the changes that he needs to.

Ernie might be better at designing plays than doing drafts. Who knows. Noone really knows what he does.

Ernie is 68. Might not have the same energy, insights or commitment he used to.

What's the alternative. Suck it up and put up with bad drafts. If Ernie was a big part of the last few drafts, then it's the correct call. BB himself is ultimately responsible as the GM and he needs to make the changes that he needs to.

Ernie might be better at designing plays than doing drafts. Who knows. Noone really knows what he does.
The real question is if Ernie is retiring from the organization, or if he’s just ending this particular role.

Ernie's getting up in age and Patricia might be sliding into some of this. Ernie is brilliant, a successful Wall St finance person who joined his buddy Bill in the NFL. He went to Andover together with Bill for a year and had already read Steve Belichick's book. Identified the Seattle pick play for practice that made Malcolm Butler famous. Never tell anyone what pink stripes means, keep it the greatest mystery in Foxboro.

Love Ernie, and I think he has been integral to their dynasties, but everyone reaches a point where they aren’t as sharp as the new blood.

My day started off by seeing a puppy lying on the road hit by a car and ends with this news. :crying: Never hoped for a Sunday so hard.

And I'm going to disagree with the implication a few posts up that he was fired/asked to resign or deserved to be fired/asked to resign.

Thanks for that — I hadn’t seen that before. I didn’t realize that he was responsible for (or recommending, at least) the 3rd and 1 goal line call in the Snow Bowl with 2:15 and no time outs left.

I think they are saying Ernie is retiring.

Ernie's getting up in age and Patricia might be sliding into some of this.
That's a good point. I believe Fat Matt is doing some of that now....IMO. They also brought over the analytics kid from the Lions as well.

"After starting his career with the Lions as Quality Control/Special Teams coach from 2012 to 2013, he was moved to Special Projects in 2014. From 2015 to 2017, Rothstein worked on the offensive side of the ball as Offensive Assistant/Research & Analysis. When Matt Patricia was hired as Detroit’s new head coach during the 2018 offseason, he moved to Head Coach Assistant/Research & Analysis — a role he held until leaving the Lions."

Last edited:
A piece of the Pats brain trust is leaving, but there Matty P (who is no slouch) or Rothstein...

I believe one of Ernie's roles was to advise BB to throw the red flag to challenge plays..

Damn, what’s his up to next? A Patriot legend, I’m sure he’ll be missed.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back