PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Clearly, we need a lot on offense for 2021, curiously the same as we did this year: QB, WR, WR, TE, TE (we will also need a center). We will need to lots resources. If Thuney, Burkhead or White aren't part of the future, they could be traded now. After all, they are free agents after the season.
============================
If no holes are created on defense, almost all our resources can be used on offense. Obviously, there will be some additions on defense.

In all seriousness, it’s a rebuild. We need our future QB which will likely need to come from the draft. I would also draft and try FA to find WRs. Play the young TEs the rest of this year to see what we got.

If we hit on a young QB and find skill players we’re still a few years out from them developing and us turning the corner. Hopefully we can rebuild and be good again with 3 years or so.

This is why I want the Pats to tank this year. There are several potential franchise QBs in next year's draft.

Next year they will be one of the few teams flushed with cap space with a lot of teams needing to make cuts or trades just to get under the cap. They can rebuild quickly next year.

I think Thuney is gone and they should trade him for a high draft pick if they can. I think White is here to stay. I don't think Burkhead will get you much of anything on the market. I would consider trading Gilmore, but I am guessing they would have if they could have this last offseason.

There is no way to do anything with the offense besides a full rebuild as far as I am concerned. Trade away anyone not on a rookie deal that someone is willing give something halfway decent for then stop drafting crappy skill position players.

There is no way to do anything with the offense besides a full rebuild as far as I am concerned. Trade away anyone not on a rookie deal that someone is willing give something halfway decent for then stop drafting crappy skill position players.

The o-line for the most part can stay in tact. The QB and most of the skill positions (at least receiving skill positions) need an upgrade.

In all seriousness, it’s a rebuild. We need our future QB which will likely need to come from the draft. I would also draft and try FA to find WRs. Play the young TEs the rest of this year to see what we got.

If we hit on a young QB and find skill players we’re still a few years out from them developing and us turning the corner. Hopefully we can rebuild and be good again with 3 years or so.
By a "complete rebuild", you mean the QB and receivers. That is hardly a total rebuild. We have a fine OL and OK running backs.

This is why I want the Pats to tank this year. There are several potential franchise QBs in next year's draft.
Which one are those? Beside Lawrence and Fields which most probably will go in the first 2-3 picks (Jete, Giants, Redskins, etc), where someone can really say they will make the transition to the NFL to a super complex NE offensive scheme with easy?

Its not that easy to draft a franchise QB and further you have to surround him with a quality O-Line and receiving weapons, quite some holes to fill on the offensive side of the ball and the past few drafts on offense didn't worked out well yet...

Clearly, we need a lot on offense for 2021, curiously the same as we did this year: QB, WR, WR, TE, TE (we will also need a center). We will need to lots resources. If Thuney, Burkhead or White aren't part of the future, they could be traded now. After all, they are free agents after the season.
============================
If no holes are created on defense, almost all our resources can be used on offense. Obviously, there will be some additions on defense.
we definately need some wide loads on the dline... and line backers... and replacement parts for our fast aging secondary... Lots of holes on the defense....

By a "complete rebuild", you mean the QB and receivers. That is hardly a total rebuild. We have a fine OL and OK running backs.
Our "fine" O-line's two best players will be free agents at the end of the year and one of them may set the market at his position. Our two best RB's will also be free agents and are heading towards 30. There really isn't a position on offense we couldn't use an upgrade at.

Which one are those? Beside Lawrence and Fields which most probably will go in the first 2-3 picks (Jete, Giants, Redskins, etc), where someone can really say they will make the transition to the NFL to a super complex NE offensive scheme with easy?

Its not that easy to draft a franchise QB and further you have to surround him with a quality O-Line and receiving weapons, quite some holes to fill on the offensive side of the ball and the past few drafts on offense didn't worked out well yet...

Well depending on where the Pats land, they could trade up for Fields. It would have to be one hell of a trade to get Lawrence and probably not worth it. I have never been a draft expert. So I am not sure who else would fit.

And the 2021 free agent class is going to be deep. This will be the year to rebuild in free agency since teams are going to have to dump good players to get under the cap.

Well depending on where the Pats land, they could trade up for Fields. It would have to be one hell of a trade to get Lawrence and probably not worth it. I have never been a draft expert. So I am not sure who else would fit.

And the 2021 free agent class is going to be deep. This will be the year to rebuild in free agency since teams are going to have to dump good players to get under the cap.
Rebuilding through free agency is what got us where we are right now.

The O-line and running backs are the strength of the offense. I'd like to see more of the young tight ends. No more Izzo, we know what he is.

We're going to need a fast, young wr or two to pair with Gunner, Meyers, Harry and Edleman.

Then we need to discuss QB...is Cam the answer? The last two games the answer would be a resounding no. The first three he looked like the real deal. What about Stidham? Do we find out if he can play in this league? From what I've seen, I haven't been too impressed, but it's been limited, so I might have to hold judgement until I see more of him.

if you'd know he will give you another 6 SB rings, than I would sell the house for him, give everything you have in case you'd have a good base core of other young players on other relevant positions, but I am not sure if we are only 1 QB away of winning it all, it seems its not only the QB

anyway even if you'd not have a team just one piece away of being SB contender you might consider to pay whatever it takes to get "the next GOAT QB", the problem is you never know how it works out, you can destroy him by having a poor team around him like Luck was destroyed by poor team building with the Colts

we definately need some wide loads on the dline... and line backers... and replacement parts for our fast aging secondary... Lots of holes on the defense....
Dugger, Phillips, Jones, Jackson, Williams

Even if all the veterans are gone (unlikely), we still have fine secondary:
The vets: McCourty, Chung, McCourty

Dugger, Phillips, Jones, Jackson, Williams

Even if all the veterans are gone (unlikely), we still have fine secondary:
The vets: McCourty, Chung, McCourty
Duggar is still unproven, Jones is a solid slot corner, Jackson may not be on the team next year, and Williams looks like a bust. I don’t think this is a fine secondary.

Duggar is still unproven, Jones is a solid slot corner, Jackson may not be on the team next year, and Williams looks like a bust. I don’t think this is a fine secondary.
Jackson is an RFA who will be tendered at the highest level. He'll be back or we'll have first rounder.

Jackson is an RFA who will be tendered at the highest level. He'll be back or we'll have first rounder.
That is true. I really hope they sign him to a long term deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes