PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I want the Pats to tank this year. There are several potential franchise QBs in next year's draft.
I love the assumption from the media and others that if Kraft orders Bill to tank the season that Bill will happily do it and be willing to stick around. Or if the Patriots finish 2-14 which would be 13 losses in a row Bill's job isn't in jeopardy like every single other coach in that scenario

If that happens, Bill is gone. You think we suck now - just wait till we have both a Bill-less AND Brady-less team year after year. Patsies days here we come again. Whee!

I love the assumption from the media and others that if Kraft orders Bill to tank the season that Bill will happily do it and be willing to stick around. Or if the Patriots finish 2-14 which would be 13 losses in a row Bill's job isn't in jeopardy like every single other coach who that happened to.

If that happens, Bill is gone. You think we suck now - just wait till we have both a Bill-less AND Brady-less team year after year. Patsies days here we come again. Whee!
I think there is literally a zero percent chance that if Bill went 2-14 this year he would be fired.

I think there is literally a zero percent chance that if Bill went 2-14 this year he would be fired.
Nah, he'll be gone for sure. Book it. Either by quitting if Kraft ordered him to do it - and he would for sure - or by legit finishing 2-14 which means losing 13 games in a row which will mean 2 of those to the historically bad Jets. In that scenario there will be questions about the follow up season to Brady and a 2-14 season means there are no good answers. No coach's job would survive that, not even Bill's.

It's why I always laugh at the idea teams tank on purpose. It doesn't happen in this league. There's no benefit at all to the folks who participate. They lose their jobs. Look at what happened to the Colts organization after they "tanked". Coach, staff, GM, team president, and a bunch of the roster - gone. That's what happens to 2-14 teams.

Patfans: The front office haven't drafted anybody good in six years. They're terrible at drafting!
Also Patsfans: Trade our good players now for future draft picks!

By a "complete rebuild", you mean the QB and receivers. That is hardly a total rebuild. We have a fine OL and OK running backs.

rebuild in terms of skill position......pretty obvious that's what is meant by that term

Might not be a for sure franchise QB, but I really like Zach Wilson from BYU. Makes all the throws. That’s just my opinion though

one of them may set the market at his position
Quentin Nelson will set the market at $20M per year possibly. Thuney will be right below him. I'm guessing around $16M-$18M per year.

Front 7 is terrible and needs one fatty and a game changing pass rusher. LB's are bad, but I expected this playing rookies this year. Jennings needs to be unleased as a rusher. Uche is a question mark.

Need a QB. I thought Cam could be that guy, but I was wrong. Pats need to pick a tandem at RB and stick with it. 3rd guy is the all purpose/gadget guy. The 5 back rotation has to stop. RB's need to get into a rythem with the O-line and see what the D is doing. Can't do that with less than a handful of carries.

We already know about the WR/TE situation.

Which one are those? Beside Lawrence and Fields which most probably will go in the first 2-3 picks (Jete, Giants, Redskins, etc), where someone can really say they will make the transition to the NFL to a super complex NE offensive scheme with easy?

Its not that easy to draft a franchise QB and further you have to surround him with a quality O-Line and receiving weapons, quite some holes to fill on the offensive side of the ball and the past few drafts on offense didn't worked out well yet...

Trey Lance looks really good too, and he could be had for a top 10 pick as of now

Job #1 is finding a QB capable of winning games in the NFL, because we currently don't have anybody in the building capable of doing that right now it seems...

I would do my utmost to re-sign Thuney & Andrews, even at the expense of jettisoning both Mason & Cannon; otherwise we will need to find a starting-caliber LG, because we currently don't have one in the building...

Besides the position itself, the ENTIRE R&D process for WRs needs to be R&Red - Removed & Replaced - from top to bottom, including the hiring of actual, professional WR coaches/teachers if Troy Brown doesn't want the gig full-time...

A veteran TE should've been added here like a year ago already...Bill has to find one for next season if he doesn't want to find one for this season ...The 2021 post-draft UDFA market should also be aggressively pursued if a TE isn't picked earlier...

I think the offense is 3 players away from being highly successful again. Challenge is to find them.

QB is clearly the elephant in the room and if that is not solved nothing else matters. They must either grab one early in draft or spend money on a decent FA or maybe find a reclamation project (is there another Tannehill out there?- Marriota? ) Too many teams go years between QB's and wallow- would feel tremendous if who they get next year looks like Herbert a handful of games into his career.

TE - give the 2 kids every chance in world to prove themselves rest of year. Hopefully one emerges. Strongly consider adding an Ertz type veteran in offseason.

WR - team needs a #1 badly. Draft, trade or FA but need to land one. With a stud on the team I think Edelman, Harry and Byrd/Gunner are fine when they drop down to the 2,3,4 options for next year. If Gunner appears capable in becoming next slot mainstay great - if not find one for this crucial role in draft or FA.

OL - one of teams strengths so little needs to be done. 2 rookies have looked promising and if the 2 from last year can step up as well they should be set for next several years. Bring back Andrews on a team friendly deal. I trade Thuney - great player but not sure you want to invest that much money in a G while QB position is still uncertain.

RB - no stars but plenty of talent to be an effective group - on the better side of most RB groups during dynasty years.,

Last edited:
Front 7 is terrible and needs one fatty and a game changing pass rusher. LB's are bad, but I expected this playing rookies this year. Jennings needs to be unleased as a rusher. Uche is a question mark.

Need a QB. I thought Cam could be that guy, but I was wrong. Pats need to pick a tandem at RB and stick with it. 3rd guy is the all purpose/gadget guy. The 5 back rotation has to stop. RB's need to get into a rythem with the O-line and see what the D is doing. Can't do that with less than a handful of carries.

We already know about the WR/TE situation.

Ok. Not disagreeing with you but two top players changes this team dramatically. A number one receiver and a top NT.

A top receiver changes how defenses cover our receivers which means better matchups.

A top DT changes how offenses attack us. Better against run, more pressure on the QB which eases the pressure on our secondary and linebackers.

I think the offense is 3 players away from being highly successful again. Challenge is to find them.

QB is clearly the elephant in the room and if that is not solved nothing else matters. They must either grab one early in draft or spend money on a decent FA or maybe find a reclamation project (is there another Tannehill out there?- Marriota? ) Too many teams go years between QB's and wallow- would feel tremendous if who they get next year looks like Herbert a handful of games into his career.

TE - give the 2 kids every chance in world to prove themselves rest of year. Hopefully one emerges. Strongly consider adding an Ertz type veteran in offseason.

WR - team needs a #1 badly. Draft, trade or FA but need to land one. With a stud on the team I think Edelman, Harry and Byrd/Gunner are fine when they drop down to the 2,3,4 options for next year. If Gunner appears capable in becoming next slot mainstay great - if not find one for this crucial role in draft or FA.

OL - one of teams strengths so little needs to be done. 2 rookies have looked promising and if the 2 from last year can step up as well they should be set for next several years. Bring back Andrews on a team friendly deal. I trade Thuney - great player but not sure you want to invest that much money in a G while QB position is still uncertain.

RB - no stars but plenty of talent to be an effective group - on the better side of most RB groups during dynasty years.,

Good post. But I haven't given up on Cam yet.

rebuild in terms of skill position......pretty obvious that's what is meant by that term

Are Keene and Asiasi OK long-term? If yes, then we need a QB and two WRs. I always thought that RBs and TEs are skilled positions. Oline is critical but I guess you can say it is not a skilled position??

Overall it is not dire, we need two WRs and a QB that does not stare down receivers and pass the pass into the turf 5 yards short of the receiver. Finding the QB is the hardest part IMO. I think Cam is a great guy, but few come back from the place Cam is in right now. We might see Stidham sooner rather than later.

Are Keene and Asiasi OK long-term? If yes, then we need a QB and two WRs. I always thought that RBs and TEs are skilled positions. Oline is critical but I guess you can say it is not a skilled position??

Overall it is not dire, we need two WRs and a QB that does not stare down receivers and pass the pass into the turf 5 yards short of the receiver. Finding the QB is the hardest part IMO. I think Cam is a great guy, but few come back from the place Cam is in right now. We might see Stidham sooner rather than later.

We need to give Cam more time imo. Otherwise I agree with you.

I agree with this. BB thought he found another Tannehill which is all he needs. Stidham is a great thower of the ball, but maybe a bit young and too nervous. Some QBs never get passed the nerves.

Cam is in a place from which it is almost non-recoverable. No idea if it is brain freeze issue or a weak shoulder issue. I think Cam is covering for a weak surgically repaired shoulder and will not say it. When you do not feel the same as you did for 10 to 15 years you lose confidence. It is normal - it would happen to all of us. BB will be patient for one more game (or half of one more game), and then pull Cam if the issue is not cleared up. We will see.

We need to give Cam more time imo. Otherwise I agree with you.

I think the Patriots will say all of the right things, but Cam only has 1 more game (or one half of 1 more game). The lack of confidence, staring down a receiver, etc., is rarely "fixable" after 10 years in the league. Harry is out with a concussion because Cam stared him down and forced the pass to him. It is doubtful we trade for another QB in 2020, so my guess is it will be "Stidham time" soon. I say that with a disappointment, I had hoped Cam would rise to the top. He is a great guy, great speaker, wonderful in the community, and has an outstanding history.

I think the Patriots will say all of the right things, but Cam only has 1 more game (or one half of 1 more game). The lack of confidence, staring down a receiver, etc., is rarely "fixable" after 10 years in the league. Harry is out with a concussion because Cam stared him down and forced the pass to him. It is doubtful we trade for another QB in 2020, so my guess is it will be "Stidham time" soon. I say that with a disappointment, I had hoped Cam would rise to the top. He is a great guy, great speaker, wonderful in the community, and has an outstanding history.

I just think it's better to suffer through a few games and be sure he's not the guy rather than overreacting after two horrible games and I agree that they were horrible.

I just think it's better to suffer through a few games and be sure he's not the guy rather than overreacting after two horrible games and I agree that they were horrible.

Maybe. But Cam is in a place that is almost impossible to recover from. And if Stidham can be as good as Tannehill, it will take 15 to 20 games or more to get there. We might as well swallow the pill and start now. Hoyer is done.

we don't know about keene and asiasi ... they could be, but to me, I don't see solving any specific issues this year.......build draft/trade capital.....make cap flexibility.

I think this year, they need to figure out who on the roster can play for a top team and which of those are going to be around for awhile.....I'd throw Stidham to the wolves and see if he sinks or swims.......get those rookie mistakes out of you while the team sucks and is in transition....I think he has the tools, but wonder if he has the brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft