PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
The offense is not that bad. It's terrible now because the QB is terrible. The OL will be good. The RB's will be good. I see the the WR's and TE's as good enough next year. The defense needs an infusion not the offense. Need a couple big bodies BAD. Need a MLB BAD. Secondary will be good.

The offense is not that bad. It's terrible now because the QB is terrible. The OL will be good. The RB's will be good. I see the the WR's and TE's as good enough next year. The defense needs an infusion not the offense. Need a couple big bodies BAD. Need a MLB BAD. Secondary will be good.
What makes you think the RB's, WR's, and TE's will be good/good enough?

Yeah it's really hard to assess anyone else on the offense if the QB play blows. Defense needs help up front as you said.

we don't know about keene and asiasi ... they could be, but to me, I don't see solving any specific issues this year.......build draft/trade capital.....make cap flexibility.

I think this year, they need to figure out who on the roster can play for a top team and which of those are going to be around for awhile.....I'd throw Stidham to the wolves and see if he sinks or swims.......get those rookie mistakes out of you while the team sucks and is in transition....I think he has the tools, but wonder if he has the brain

I agree. I think Stidham's issue is nerves, I think he sees the field and can deliver the ball (great mechanics - natural thrower), but panics too easily. Maybe that is what you mean by "if he has the brain".

In the Denver game he threw an interception while targeting Byrd. Byrd was open behind two defenders, and Stidham rushed the pass by not stepping into the throw, and the ball was thrown short and intercepted. Stidham called the play, dropped back well and was in position, stepped up, read the field well and threw a nice ball to the correct read, but threw it short. Why did he rush the throw? Nerves? Panic? Some guys always "hear footsteps" or "see ghosts". Stidham might be one of those guys. Who knows? Like you said we have to throw (no pun) Stidham to the wolves and see if he can mature (or not like Sam Darnold).

I see the the WR's and TE's as good enough next year.
I am aware of a couple special offers for those who think that our WR's and TE's are good enough for next year.

OFFER ONE
stock in the Brooklyn Bridge.

OFFER TWO
prime land for homes in the Everglades.
================
SERIOUSLY,
I doubt that even Bill and Josh think that our WR's and TE's are good enough for next year.

The WRs & TEs aren't even close to being considered good enough right now.

I do agree with your take on the defense however.

What makes you think the RB's, WR's, and TE's will be good/good enough?
We have Michel, Harris, and Taylor definitely. Johnson ERFA. Maybe White and Burkhead, more likely Burkhead resign. Just because Asiasi and Keene haven't become all world doesn't mean they won't be good. Meyers, Olzewefski (?) are back, Zuber, Wilkerson and Kinsey ERFA. Add FA and Draft.

I am aware of a couple special offers for those who think that our WR's and TE's are good enough for next year.

OFFER ONE
stock in the Brooklyn Bridge.

OFFER TWO
prime land for homes in the Everglades.
================
SERIOUSLY,
I doubt that even Bill and Josh think that our WR's and TE's are good enough for next year.
My glass is half full. I am interested in that Everglades land. I'm nervous on Bridges, too high.

The WRs & TEs aren't even close to being considered good enough right now.

I do agree with your take on the defense however.
Yep. We saw what Bill did to fix the problems in 2003. Mount Washington at the nose and a switch to 3-4 turned this defense from the worst run defense maybe I have ever seen - to one of the very best. This defense doesn't have the issues that the 02 team did but hopefully a similar turnaround is in the making.

Yep. We saw what Bill did to fix the problems in 2003. Mount Washington at the nose and a switch to 3-4 turned this defense from the worst run defense maybe I have ever seen - to one of the very best. This defense doesn't have the issues that the 02 team did but hopefully a similar turnaround is in the making.
Ted Washington, we only had him for one year but I thought he was the best nose ever in NE. That was my favorite Defense of that period.

They'll need to retain David Andrews for continuity, if Thuney isn't traded already they have to sign him with the new cap providing a benchmark. Otherwise plug Onwenu in at guard and retain Jermaine Eluemunor as well. Also sign James White, Rex and Taylor again for the RB room. Jakob Johnson needs re-signing, though I really want them keep Dan Vitale on the roster.

Beyond that the main priority is finding a QB, move up high into the first (assuming they're not already there) and take a youngster. It's a good draft for QB's and I assume that's why BB signed Cam as a bridge guy to begin with, along with their need to shed cap debt. They might also find a value vet QB who can come in and compete or possibly play until the rookie is ready, they're always out there.

The Pats have a ton of money, existing talent and draft picks. They could be good again really quickly depending on how quickly the QB play improves.

Last edited:
We have Michel, Harris, and Taylor definitely. Johnson ERFA. Maybe White and Burkhead, more likely Burkhead resign. Just because Asiasi and Keene haven't become all world doesn't mean they won't be good. Meyers, Olzewefski (?) are back, Zuber, Wilkerson and Kinsey ERFA. Add FA and Draft.

let's think long and hard about this.

You are counting on Meyers, Gunner, Zuber, Wilkerson and Kinsey for next year. I guess you're not counting on Harry. Yes, I understand that you add a draftee and free agent (essentially like Bryd and Gunner this year).

You have found a way to PROPOSE an even worse offense than this year.

I can appreciate the glass half full approach, but nothing you listed makes me remotely confident this offense will improve next year.

Michel is a JAG who I wouldn't be shocked if he was cut next year. Harris may turn into a serviceable player but seems to be banged up a lot. Taylor is basically a practice squad player. White and Burkhead are our two best backs and are likely gone. Asiasi and Keene aren't exactly lighting it up but I won't write them off. Regardless calling the TE position good is a major stretch. That receiving group you mentioned is easily the worst group in the league by a mile. Those are all practice squad level players.

Confused by the title of this thread. Didn’t realize there was one.

Michel is a JAG who I wouldn't be shocked if he was cut next year. Harris may turn into a serviceable player but seems to be banged up a lot. Taylor is basically a practice squad player. White and Burkhead are our two best backs and are likely gone. Asiasi and Keene aren't exactly lighting it up but I won't write them off. Regardless calling the TE position good is a major stretch. That receiving group you mentioned is easily the worst group in the league by a mile. Those are all practice squad level players.
They'll keep Michel until his rookie contract runs out. White and Burkhead would be wise to leave.

QB play has been horrible of late. Our current wr group is also bad. Edelman will be gone by next year and Harry has not become the player we envisioned. I’m not saying we need to use our first rounder next year on a wideout but it needs to be upgraded. Whoever is under center will have the same issues throwing into tight windows because we can’t get consistent separation going with our current group. We need speed and not the Dorsett type who doesn’t play as fast as timed. We need guys who play fast. As well as upgrades to the front 7 like you said. And a QB. This is BBs most important offseason in a while as far as retooling the roster.

let's think long and hard about this.

You are counting on Meyers, Gunner, Zuber, Wilkerson and Kinsey for next year. I guess you're not counting on Harry. Yes, I understand that you add a draftee and free agent (essentially like Bryd and Gunner this year).

You have found a way to PROPOSE an even worse offense than this year.
Maybe I was returning to my 1970 rationalization of why we could win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back