PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was his step father’s name not his grandfather but otherwise spot on. I had to look it up after, didn’t even know before. Thanks for the trivia that’s cool
In which case (in either case) big kudos to Juju for doing that.

Yup I'm happy about the Cole signing.

5.5 for him is better than JuJu at 11 + 5 in incentives (which is probably what it would have taken to get him out of Pitt).

A guy who's getting better after a few years. Has played roughly 50/50 outside/slot.

Versatile relatively cheap talent to be WR4 or jump right in if Mims doesn't progress in year 2.

Of our signings, Lawson probably makes the biggest impact, but Cole likely is the best value.
I know I ain’t king of this board or nothing, but I ****ing hate it when fans of other teams jump on here. HATE IT! Except for you man, you’re alright. Excuse me, I gotta go. :yuck:

I get your point, but they have been trending. That obviously doesn't refute your point, but I think it's worth noting. It's something to keep in mind when looking at your position and guessing as to whether or not they are likely to give you that second year you need. Here's how their wins have gone:

So, after years of terrible play, they bottomed out and then began improving. Are they do for another flat year, like 2019, or a down year? Maybe, but I don't think it's a lock. Looking at their schedule this year, they get the AFCW and NFCN, the Patriots, Texans and Cardinals. That's not going to be the easiest schedule, but it's not shaping up to be a murderer's row, either.

You could absolutely be right. I think we've talked about this before, but this could all be my head using the logic of, "Yeah but... Browns?" which I admit is pure folly. Looking at those win totals though (which don't tell the whole story, but for the sake of argument), I'm not sure 7 and 6 wins were a far cry from what they had been doing before, so the 11 still stands out as a statistical outlier. In their defense, I will say they've been in a division that's been typically dominated by the Ravens and Steelers for the better part of two decades, so making headway there hasn't been easy.

I like their coach and Baker took a huge step forward last year, so the two most important positions are solid. For now I'll yield the point, since I have very little argument beyond Team Jersey Bias. But I reserve the right to gloat (tastefully) if they're back to 6 or 7 wins this year :D

I know I ain’t king of this board or nothing, but I ****ing hate it when fans of other teams jump on here. HATE IT! Except for you man, you’re alright. Excuse me, I gotta go. :yuck:
Ha, wait 'til Jets vs Pats weeks. You'll hate me then.

Gotta talk smack those weeks.

Lmfao what a disaster you’re in when you are spreading a $7M bonus over 4 years... that’s like financing a $100 mattress
Five days after the SB is played, the contract automatically voids, immediately incurring a dead-cap hit of $5.6M. Steelers obviously hoping 2022 cap situation is better.

Regards,
Chris

You could absolutely be right. I think we've talked about this before, but this could all be my head using the logic of, "Yeah but... Browns?" which I admit is pure folly. Looking at those win totals though (which don't tell the whole story, but for the sake of argument), I'm not sure 7 and 6 wins were a far cry from what they had been doing before, so the 11 still stands out as a statistical outlier. In their defense, I will say they've been in a division that's been typically dominated by the Ravens and Steelers for the better part of two decades, so making headway there hasn't been easy.

I like their coach and Baker took a huge step forward last year, so the two most important positions are solid. For now I'll yield the point, since I have very little argument beyond Team Jersey Bias. But I reserve the right to gloat (tastefully) if they're back to 6 or 7 wins this year :D
You've got no need yield a point to me (though I appreciate the thought ;) ). I wasn't really trying to make one. I was just tossing out that team's wins so we have something to use as a baseline. I think we're in for a very odd (and hopefully interesting) year. We've still got quarantine/lockdown issues. We've got bizarre player movement and non-movement. We've got an extra game for every team, with half the league getting screwed by it being a road game. And we got the "Browns gonna Brown" history.

I mean, just looking at FA right now, we're seeing certain AFC teams making very significant roster overhauls (i.e. Patriots, Titans), certain others keeping their powder dry but likely to pounce on options at some point (i.e. Colts), and others that are doing significant cap shedding and/or overhauling (i.e. Texans). So following the Browns for a fallback can be another interesting log on the fire.

Yup I'm happy about the Cole signing.

5.5 for him is better than JuJu at 11 + 5 in incentives (which is probably what it would have taken to get him out of Pitt).

A guy who's getting better after a few years. Has played roughly 50/50 outside/slot.

Versatile relatively cheap talent to be WR4 or jump right in if Mims doesn't progress in year 2.

Of our signings, Lawson probably makes the biggest impact, but Cole likely is the best value.

The Jets have seemingly done a pretty good job in free agency this year but I’m not sure that they will be a relevant, contending team again. And by again I mean ever again.

1616188806660.gif

Don’t get the obsession with this guy. Can’t stay healthy to save his life. Not the biggest cam fan either. I want a franchise QB. Trade up.
Probably a a little pride thing with Jimmie G.
Mariota might be a better fit in SF for Shanahan's offense.
Agree with your post Cousin.
DW Toys

You've got no need yield a point to me (though I appreciate the thought ;) ). I wasn't really trying to make one. I was just tossing out that team's wins so we have something to use as a baseline. I think we're in for a very odd (and hopefully interesting) year. We've still got quarantine/lockdown issues. We've got bizarre player movement and non-movement. We've got an extra game for every team, with half the league getting screwed by it being a road game. And we got the "Browns gonna Brown" history.

I mean, just looking at FA right now, we're seeing certain AFC teams making very significant roster overhauls (i.e. Patriots, Titans), certain others keeping their powder dry but likely to pounce on options at some point (i.e. Colts), and others that are doing significant cap shedding and/or overhauling (i.e. Texans). So following the Browns for a fallback can be another interesting log on the fire.

The extra game especially is throwing off the predictive part of my brain, because 10 wins and 11 wins no longer mean the same thing as they have in years past. With the extra wild card spot, I've been thinking quite often that 10 wins gets you in the playoffs 99% of the time, but now 10 wins is some middle ground between 9-7 and 10-6. Throw the other factors you mentioned and all of this is going to be a bit chaotic (and fun). One thing I'll say though is that, at the beginning of this offseason, it looked like about four teams (exaggerating) were going to keep their QB's, and everyone else was going to change. That initial fervor seems to have settled a bit, at least for the big names that were thrown about. So hey, there's SOME stability at least.

Don’t get the obsession with this guy. Can’t stay healthy to save his life. Not the biggest cam fan either. I want a franchise QB. Trade up.
In fairness, every team in the league wants “a franchise QB” and I think the term is tossed around a lot. Do you consider Watson a “franchise QB” ? I don’t. I consider him VG and you can definitely win with him. But he’s no Montana-Brady-Mahomes.

How many franchise QBs other than Mahomes are there even out there ? Brady, Rodgers, Ben (all with limited shelf lives)...

There’ll be lotsa Lawrence chatter. We’ll see. For me : franchise =/= potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back