PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t mind Minshew & a draft pick (Lance, Mond or Davis Mills), assuming JAX picks up another vet backup like Alex Smith which would make sense due to fit & his history with Urban Meyer.

Last edited:
any news out there on Winston? Wondering if the Saints are going to bring him back or would he be able to fix his turn over issues with us. He certainly can pass the football...just sometimes to the other team

2/3rds of the league have very little or no cap room and 10 teams are currently over the cap. I know QB is a real question but there are going to be plenty of cuts next week and we will have a great opportunity to strengthen across the board at reasonable prices. I'm not expecting us to go crazy, nor do I want us to, but I definitely think we can bring in a number of key pieces, that are gonna make this team look a lot better. I'm excited.

What contract? NFL free agents can not sign for 2 more weeks. The contract Watt leaked to the press when he did his photo op with a Cardinals shirt on? Kind of like Van Noy's contract was reported at $30M guaranteed to go to the Dolphins and gets cut the next year. :)
Players who have been released can sign with teams immediately. Not sure why you think otherwise.

any news out there on Winston? Wondering if the Saints are going to bring him back or would he be able to fix his turn over issues with us. He certainly can pass the football...just sometimes to the other team
Any word on Winston is likely to wait for either FA to begin or word on Brees' retirement to come out.

Winston's willing to play for vet minimum with all the crab legs and crawfish in NO.

General Manager George Paton said Thursday that Lindsay will be tendered as a restricted free agent this time.

“Phillip’s a good player, very passionate,” Paton said, via Mike Klis of KUSA. “Obviously had some injuries last year. He’s a good player, brings energy, brings juice. He’s a restricted free agent, we do plan on tendering him. I’m not sure what level but we want Phillip here.”

Paton said the team also plans to tender wide receiver Tim Patrick and linebacker Alexander Johnson, but did not specify the level of those tenders either.

Broncos will tender Phillip Lindsay, Tim Patrick, Alexander Johnson as restricted free agents - ProFootballTalk

The only good reason to trade Gilmore is if he won't play for this contracted amount. If he would, I would try to extend him (perhaps give him a kicker, and then franchise him in 2022 (or extend him).

Can you explain this further by chance?
We were $25m under the 2020 cap under opt outs. But the Patriots seem to have done some fancy maneuvers, which could be anything from guaranteeing incentives, giving guarantees to certain players, taking dead cap hits that could've been pushed to 2021, and just accounting for them in 2020. In other words, they moved some of the cap hit from 2021+ into 2020 because they had some space to do it. So now we have even more cap room for 2021.

The Patriots have been doing this regularly over the years but there was some question if they would do it this year because they were so far under the cap and they were a bit surprised by all the opt outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots