PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnson has 7 receiving TDs over 3 years and Burkhead has 8 in his entire 8 year career.

Pats need a boost in the pass game.
Agreed. Johnson, Njoku, Humphries, NTx3, Martin...even if they don't grab any of these guys, the sheer number of talented players hitting hte market is a plus. Free agency is falling very well for the pats right now

Agreed. Johnson, Njoku, Humphries, NTx3, Martin...even if they don't grab any of these guys, the sheer number of talented players hitting hte market is a plus. Free agency is falling very well for the pats right now
Agreed, with the salary cap crunch this was expected. We will see more and more of this as we get closer to UFA. Pats can really re-shape their team for bargain bin prices. Of the guys released so far Njoku (unofficial) is my favorite. I'd be very comfortable with Njoku, Asiasi and Keane as the TE group. Rather a free agent than using draft capital early on a brevin jordan type

Agreed, with the salary cap crunch this was expected. We will see more and more of this as we get closer to UFA. Pats can really re-shape their team for bargain bin prices. Of the guys released so far Njoku (unofficial) is my favorite. I'd be very comfortable with Njoku, Asiasi and Keane as the TE group. Rather a free agent than using draft capital early on a brevin jordan type
The fewer rookies they "need" to draft, the better, by far. Henry, Njoku, and Jonnu Smith are out there. Jesse James might well be (he's a BB type of player).

Same is certainly true for NT, both trenches, and WR.

BB isn't a fan of rookies, which is part of the reason he's been successful for so long. He's got the reputation of finding the best talent in misused NFL players, and this year, if he lives up to that, the rebuild will be well on its way.

Last edited:
The fewer rookies the "need" to draft, the better, by far. Henry, Njoku, and Jonnu Smith are out there. Jesse James might well be (he's a BB type of player).

Same is certainly true for NT, both trenches, and WR.

BB isn't a fan of rookies, which is part of the reason he's been successful for so long. He's got the reputation of finding the best talent in misused NFL players, and this year, if he lives up to that, the rebuild will be well on its way.
James would be a nice pickup if he comes cheap, the contract he signed with the lions was ridiculous, werent the pats rumored as interested? Id like to see what we get from the second year guys as opposed to spending big money on top guys like Smith and Henry, personally.

I would spend big money on the NT position. Id love to re-sign Butler and Guy and add a Casey or Shelton if hes released, such an important position in our defence, I'd also use some draft capital here but i dont think its very deep at the position outside of Shelvin and Mcneil for pure run stuff fatties?

Exciting couple months coming for us fans!

James would be a nice pickup if he comes cheap, the contract he signed with the lions was ridiculous, werent the pats rumored as interested? Id like to see what we get from the second year guys as opposed to spending big money on top guys like Smith and Henry, personally.

I would spend big money on the NT position. Id love to re-sign Butler and Guy and add a Casey or Shelton if hes released, such an important position in our defence, I'd also use some draft capital here but i dont think its very deep at the position outside of Shelvin and Mcneil for pure run stuff fatties?

I want one vet TE added, but yeah, I want Asiasi and Keane to get a shot. Don't want to have to count on them, though - which is why I like a well-rounded TE like James who won't cost 11m a year. I think he'd fit here beautifully.

I'm hoping Chicago releases Hicks. I do think the Pats need to grab a top-tier NT and one other DL (and draft a NT). Sometimes you've got to open the purse strings a bit. Butler and Guy are both solid (hope they get at least one back!), and both will look even better with a Casey in between them, or a Judon beside them. That unit needs an upgrade in size and needs a killer.

That's the thing, though, particularly in the trenches: the talent around a player often makes the player. How much better is Butler if Aaron Donald is centering the pass rush? How much better is Winovich if Judon's on the other side?

It's why someone will overpay for Shaq Barrett.

He has 3 rushing TDs over last 2 seasons. B-Rex has 6 on less touches..
In the last 4 years Duke has almost 100 more catches and almost 1000 more receiving yards than Rexy.

They are very comparable.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of him as a potential Sweet Feet replacement

Same price range, pretty similar role so it really doesn't matter too much whether its Rex/White.

But possible that they can get him on a one year deal for that cheap. Otherwise I think we will be looking at the JJ Taylor show.

Cousin,
Nice leisurely Saturday breakfast of a cheese omelette, crisp bacon and freshly made blueberry buckle breakfast cake with orange juice and coffee.

I think James would be helpful. Right now our TEs have been abysmal. I have another idea I will mention that might kill two birds (needs)with one stone, but I am adding two TEs.

Here is a tip on Cam. When Cam had that MVP year in 2015 he had a top TE in Greg Olsen. who had 77 catches for 1,104 yards, 7 TDs. I am not saying that was the whole reason for minimal pass production from Cam in 2020, but I think it contributed. His 2020 WR were really bad too. Second or third stringers tops and an injured JE.

How many posters think that we could have won say 4 more games with a decent receiving Team, not Tampa's....... but just better? 11-5 gets us into the playoffs.

To be fair, perhaps Stidham even looks better with actual professional receivers.

Do I think Henry comes around? This is year three. Sink or swim. dude.

I am starting to rethink Cam. I think the players and coaches liked him a lot. He had energy. How tough was it in all of major league sports to be the next QB in NE who replaced the GOAT.

Would our posters take Lamar Jackson right now! Here are some interesting stats. Cam and Jackson played the same amount of games. Jackson had only 100 more yards. They both had exactly the same....242 completions. Cam had a better passing percentage 65.8 % vs. 64.4%. The escape master Jackson was sacked 29 times and Cam 31. Jackson had only one less interception than Cam but Cam was way off on TD throws. Jackson averaged 183 yards per game passing and Cam was only 6 behind at 177. Who do you think had more rushing TDs? Jackson had 7 and Cam had 12.

Now let's look at TE numbers:
Ravens Andrews had 58 receptions an 7 TDs.
Our starting TE izzo had 13 catches and 0 TDs.
Njoku who only started 5 games has 19 catches and 2 TDs.
Ertz played in only 11 games. He had 36 receptions an 1 TD in a terrible QB year for the Eagles.
James only played in 7 games in 2020. He had 14 catches and 2 TDs,

The Ravens WR had Snead (33 CATCHES, 3 TD), Marquis Brown (58 CATCHES, 8TD), Duvernay (20 CATCHES)and Boykin (19 CATCHES, 4 TD) plus Andrews (58 CATCHES, 7 TD) at TE. The question I ask is could Cam have had better numbers with that receiving corp which I suggest is no where near Tampa's?

I have mentioned this trade scenario: Njoku and OBJ for Gilmore (the Browns are desperate for a CB.) and a lower pick. Njoku might be a one year rental. OBJ is reasonable for another couple years. I believe you are buying OBJ low now.

Now I am picking up Ertz as well (cut or lower round trade). This is important.

To all our projected QBs be it Mariota, Minshew, Kyle Allen, Fitzpatrick or yes.....Cam. Having two productive TEs and OBJ plus perhaps a Draft pick WR or two, does the Patriots passing game now elevate to at least the Ravens roster? Now spend the $60mm on Defense.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

Same price range, pretty similar role so it really doesn't matter too much whether its Rex/White.

But possible that they can get him on a one year deal for that cheap. Otherwise I think we will be looking at the JJ Taylor show.
I'm high on JJ's potential but it's a tall task to expect him to fill in for their production.

NEJoe ThuneyOG28$14.7M4 yrs, $60MBrandon Scherff & Quentin Nelson are likely going to reset the guard market this offseason, and Thuney will very much benefit from that on the open market.

BEST GUESS: LA Chargers
NECam NewtonQB31$1.75M1 yr, $2.5MCam didn't do enough in 2020 to get anybody excited about his next chapter, but it's hard to imagine his career is completely over at age 31, despite the toll his body has taken. It seems feasible another year in New England would give him the best opportunity to compete for snaps.

BEST GUESS: New England
NEDavid AndrewsOC28$3M3 yrs, $20MAndrews is on the right side of 30, and can be classifed as one of the most dependable centers in the league right now. His days in New England may be numbered as his price tag increases, but there will be suitors.

BEST GUESS: Baltimore
DETMarvin Jones30WR$8M2 yrs, $18MOne of the better complementary receivers in the game over the past few seasons, Jones will likely find a new home in 2021. A slight increase from his previous contract should get it done.

CHIMitchell Trubisky26QB$7.2M2 yrs, $16MTrubisky's not the top of the first round QB he was selected to be, but he's not a bottom feeder in the league either. While many bigger names could change rosters, there will be teams looking to see what the 26-year-old can do in a different setup.

#s 1-3 make me sad, although #s 4 & 5 make me happy...

I'm high on JJ's potential but it's a tall task to expect him to fill in for their production.

I assume he will be RB4 in the rotation behind Michel/Harris/Rex/JJ with Bolden spelling players as needed. I think that's a fine role for someone who showed some flashes in his rookie year and got mostly redshirted. But clearly it is on him to take that step this year otherwise Bolden will just eat him up.

Michel showed something as a received which made sense because he did it in college.
No idea why we didn’t feed him the ball in the passing game sooner.

I assume he will be RB4 in the rotation behind Michel/Harris/Rex/JJ with Bolden spelling players as needed. I think that's a fine role for someone who showed some flashes in his rookie year and got mostly redshirted. But clearly it is on him to take that step this year otherwise Bolden will just eat him up.
I'm not confident Rex is back in 2021

Michel showed something as a received which made sense because he did it in college.
No idea why we didn’t feed him the ball in the passing game sooner.
He did look a little more comfortable last year. Strange

Cousin,
Nice leisurely Saturday breakfast of a cheese omelette, crisp bacon and freshly made blueberry buckle breakfast cake with orange juice and coffee.

I think James would be helpful. Right now our TEs have been abysmal. I have another idea I will mention that might kill two birds (needs)with one stone, but I am adding two TEs.

Here is a tip on Cam. When Cam had that MVP year in 2015 he had a top TE in Greg Olsen. who had 77 catches for 1,104 yards, 7 TDs. I am not saying that was the whole reason for minimal pass production from Cam in 2020, but I think it contributed. His 2020 WR were really bad too. Second or third stringers tops and an injured JE.

How many posters think that we could have won say 4 more games with a decent receiving Team, not Tampa's....... but just better? 11-5 gets us into the playoffs.

To be fair, perhaps Stidham even looks better with actual professional receivers.

Do I think Henry comes around? This is year three. Sink or swim. dude.

I am starting to rethink Cam. I think the players and coaches liked him a lot. He had energy. How tough was it in all of major league sports to be the next QB in NE who replaced the GOAT.

Would our posters take Lamar Jackson right now! Here are some interesting stats. Cam and Jackson played the same amount of games. Jackson had only 100 more yards. They both had exactly the same....242 completions. Cam had a better passing percentage 65.8 % vs. 64.4%. The escape master Jackson was sacked 29 times and Cam 31. Jackson had only one less interception than Cam but Cam was way off on TD throws. Jackson averaged 183 yards per game passing and Cam was only 6 behind at 177. Who do you think had more rushing TDs? Jackson had 7 and Cam had 12.

Now let's look at TE numbers:
Ravens Andrews had 58 receptions an 7 TDs.
Our starting TE izzo had 13 catches and 0 TDs.
Njoku who only started 5 games has 19 catches and 2 TDs.
Ertz played in only 11 games. He had 36 receptions an 1 TD in a terrible QB year for the Eagles.
James only played in 7 games in 2020. He had 14 catches and 2 TDs,

The Ravens WR had Snead (33 CATCHES, 3 TD), Marquis Brown (58 CATCHES, 8TD), Duvernay (20 CATCHES)and Boykin (19 CATCHES, 4 TD) plus Andrews (58 CATCHES, 7 TD) at TE. The question I ask is could Cam have had better numbers with that receiving corp which I suggest is no where near Tampa's?

I have mentioned this trade scenario: Njoku and OBJ for Gilmore (the Browns are desperate for a CB.) and a lower pick. Njoku might be a one year rental. OBJ is reasonable for another couple years. I believe you are buying OBJ low now.

Now I am picking up Ertz as well (cut or lower round trade). This is important.

To all our projected QBs be it Mariota, Minshew, Kyle Allen, Fitzpatrick or yes.....Cam. Having two productive TEs and OBJ plus perhaps a Draft pick WR or two, does the Patriots passing game now elevate to at least the Ravens roster? Now spend the $60mm on Defense.

Thoughts?
DW Toys
Njoku is soon to be a free agent.

You're not buying cheap on OBJ with that contract. You're taking a huge risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes