PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. Collectively, the players should have equal power. Especially in a field where a large portion of former employees end up literally disabled as a direct result of said employment. I’m all for a strong player’s union for that reason. 17th game nonsense is a great example of how the owners DO NOT have player interests in mind when making decisions. BUT...players cave more often than not. Why? It’s hard at 25 to think about your life at 45 and turn down $$.
Strong union =\= teams being equal to players. This has nothing to do with players’ safety. It has everything to do with players demanding trades willy nilly because they don’t like ownership. This isn’t about a player getting a guaranteed contract because he might get injured.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/nfl/article181508331.html for one...
And then this gem from Easterby:

“Easterby, who is white and cites Martin Luther King Jr. as a role model, asked players to think back to when they were growing up “playing ball with Ray-Ray and Ki-Ki and them,” according to three people in the room for these meetings.”
One of my best friends in Elementary school growing up in the Prospect Hill projects in Waltham was a black kid named Ray-Ray. Should I never mention his name or refer to him how he, his family and friends did back when I knew him. Or should Injust say Ray and forget all the fun memories?

a/k/a "It's different when we do it!"
The thing is that it's a unique set of circumstances, it's not just spending in free agency, it's spending in a buyers market, which hasn't happened since 2011. The Pats' recent poor drafting put them in this position, but Bill is properly taking advantage of the current situation.

Last edited:
Strong union =\= teams being equal to players. This has nothing to do with players’ safety. It has everything to do with players demanding trades willy nilly because they don’t like ownership. This isn’t about a player getting a guaranteed contract because he might get injured.
Guaranteed contracts don’t help players as a whole because there is a cap. Every dollar paid to a player who can’t play is subtracted from the money of a player who can play. Ultimately within a capped system guaranteed contracts don’t cost owners anything but probably creates competitive imbalances.

One of my best friends in Elementary school growing up in the Prospect Hill projects in Waltham was a black kid named Ray-Ray. Should I never mention his name or refer to him how he, his family and friends did back when I knew him. Or should Injust say Ray and forget all the fun memories?
I would suggest you have situational awareness if you ever find yourself addressing a group of primarily black men as a leader in a professional environment and you are white.

Reminds me of a time when I wasn’t self-employed when an executive stood in front of a room 70% full of women and made a crack about how “great it would be if a bunch of you wouldn’t get pregnant and go on maternity leave next year” insinuating that being female meant productivity issues. He meant it to be a joke but it was a lead balloon and he was transferred to Asia 3 weeks later.

The worry that players not wanting to come to NE is being grossly exaggerated. I think Cam is greatly respected by most players in the NFL. If the money is right a lot of players will come here.
Honestly most everyone in Football knows Cam is toast....if BB tries to prove a point by bringing him back and not moving to another QB like last years debacle.....we will have another down year

I’m nervous cam will hold the team back if he’s playing qb again. Too much money invested into the team to hope cam can rebound from the debacle last year.
Not just nervous.....Horrified....Newton is Awful....if BB brings him back and sticks with him again....season is already over

Honestly most everyone in Football knows Cam is toast....if BB tries to prove a point by bringing him back and not moving to another QB like last years debacle.....we will have another down year
I'm curious if this is from a poll that you ran sourcing everyone in football? And do you really believe that Bill's decision making is limited to and based on making points?

I'm curious if this is from a poll that you ran sourcing everyone in football? And do you really believe that Bill's decision making is limited to and based on making points?
How did you feel about his decision making and throwing motion last year? Were you happy with him as our QB....what will change this year that makes you so confident?!

Hell, if Cam is on the field, that's basically 6!
Do you mean that if Cam is on the field that’s basically a PICK 6!!!??

I’m nervous cam will hold the team back if he’s playing qb again. Too much money invested into the team to hope cam can rebound from the debacle last year.
Not sure what is giving some guys in here such great confidence in Cam Newton right now....kind of odd honestly. Every pats fan that I have talked to about Cam wishes him well but PRAYS that he is done with our team.....confused as to why a lot of people here now have such TREMENDOUS and high hopes for AC

So weird this thread isn’t showing up for me.

Not sure what is giving some guys in here such great confidence in Cam Newton right now....kind of odd honestly. Every pats fan that I have talked to about Cam wishes him well but PRAYS that he is done with our team.....confused as to why a lot of people here now have such TREMENDOUS and high hopes for AC
I do not have "great confidence" in Cam, but I am honest enough to state unequivocally that I do not know if he is toast or not. Do you really think BB and McDaniels are stupid enough to put him out there as starter for next year unless they were pretty sure he could thrive and do well with a more talented team around him.

No one on this board knows. I do know McDaniels and Bb are not usually reckless.

wtf is up with you guys wanting IRoppolo with 30M cap hit? get a real QB, you have already Cam who is crap, Jimmy isn't better, you ain't winning games from the sidelines chilling on IR...
Great post

Who does he consider the “top of the market guys”? Golladay, Samuel and Juju for sure but Fuller may someone who ops for a one year prove-it deal. That would be incredible if they could add him.

Other under-30 second tier guys who may consider a one year contract before hitting the market again next year in hopes of a longer term deal would include Watkins, Higgins, Cole, Perriman, Humphries.

Third tier guys would include Trent Taylor, Josh Reynolds, Dede.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes