PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that Caserio has a NE connection, but one would think they would note that Rivers was a Ram last season, instead of implying he was signed away from the Pats.
He was on the Pats and Rams last season.. So he can still be called a "Former Patriot".

Taylor is a big wild card in our RB situation. If he can catch and pass protect, we're all set there. There isn't *zero* need for the more traditional type of RB, it just isn't the #1 priority at the position right now. Or at least in my opinion shouldn't be. As you mention, we're showing interest in non-receiving backs. It could be due to an intention of moving on from Michel, or just perceived value. I wouldn't be mad if we signed any of Lindsay/Fournette/Carson. It just wouldn't fill a need.
sure, we lose 2 RB's and just pray that no one gets injured.

Cowboys with a depth signing.

Takk McKinley to Cleveland.

Could take the Falcons out of the QB sweepstakes. If you commit to Ryan for 2022 might as well try to trade that #4 pick into a nice collection of future picks.

QB #3 likely on the board until 7. Excellent.

sure, we lose 2 RB's and just pray that no one gets injured.

The 2 RB we lost are the 2 who played the role I specifically said was a big need. It won't be solved by signing just any RB. We need pass catchers and pass blockers. It may be Taylor, but it probably isn't.

Giants with another signing:

Vikings:

Matt Ryan restructures contract. Means Atlanta won't take QB at #4. That could be our trade partner. Gilmore, #15, Harry, and 2022 2nd for #4.
The Falcons need someone to replace Ryan eventually. Why wouldn't they take one at 4 and let him learn behind Ryan..

The Falcons need someone to replace Ryan eventually. Why wouldn't they take one at 4 and let him learn behind Ryan..
Restructuring pushes the cap back further into the future.

Hi All. I haven't posted on here for YEARS. Always popping in to read, get a head's up, do a lot of nodding and some head shaking. Crazy how long some of you have been here and still make sense.. most of the time.
I finally felt compelled to post about how much negativity there is on other "media" and a tiny bit here, about how straying from the "patriot way" will be the end of the Patriots dynasty, blah, blah, etc. etc. Following this team forever and a day I think this is very simple situation that is like me taking my kids to Gamestop and being pleasantly surprised that it is buy 2, get one free day. To presume that BB and the entire Patriots organization had no plan is just plain hate and ignorance. To presume they predicted the pandemic, CAP and free agent market would be the 100% the way it is also over the top. Seems to me they had plan, some expectation of being a buyer in the market, showed up, and found out it was buy 2, get one free day! If you are BB what are you going to buy... DL, TE, SL Receiver.. maybe a beast RB.. I think it is simple as that, and they really are not far off the plan or "patriot way"... sorry, had to get it out. much love.

Typo. It can be as you know.
No reason to not backload given that unused cap space can not just be carried forward. Plus, they won’t be doing this every year, and they have oodles of cap space in 2022 and 23. I’m not sure if “not what they normally do” applies anymore.

Still thinking about strategy. Three quite different contracts so far.

They backloaded Wise in a normal fashion.
Backloaded Bourne on what is essentially only 1y guaranteed deal but with significant potential dead money.
Slightly frontloaded Mills (by their standards).

These are all minor deals so it doesn't matter much in a large cap environment but the difference is interesting.

I agree one would expect backloading but with 30+ guarantees we will see. Depends on how much is fully guaranteed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back