PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: April Edition

Camp body.

Upgrade? Hopefully our staff can augment his technique/aptitude.

Absolutely ****ing HORRIBLE...and that's just for the Redmond signing.

Thanksdad's return is nothing less than a Slap In The Face to actual, real, professional, free agent interior OLmen Everywhere...A middle finger from Little Billy as he's on his way to Nantucket...

Upgrade? Hopefully our staff can augment his technique/aptitude.

Shows you exactly how much - or how little, to be exact - that Giardi actually knows then.

Last edited:
This is a very strong group, one of the best in the league, really like the depth and versatility as well.

After Karras, what depth? All I see after him are question marks, if not out-right stiffs.

Last edited:
Shows you exactly how much - or how little, to be correct - that Giardi actually knows.
He's competing with one of your unfavorites for a backup OL spot. I agree that better is preferable.

The fact that I'm not furious about Ferentz being on the roster again shows how much he improved last time he was here.

What improvement are you babbling about?

Last edited:

I agree that we have one of the best OL's in the league, with Karras first off the bench. Ferentz is now active and the 7th OL.
===========
I disagree with the idea that we have quality depth beyond the obvious six.

TACKLE
Cajuste, Herron, Cunningham
Maybe one of them is capable of being the Active swing tackle. More likely, Belichick would have to move Onwenu to RT if there were an injury. This is not what we should want at a general plan, especially with a player in his second year.

GUARD/CENTER
We have Karras, fine depth.
Usually, we have 3 backups for these two positions. The depth was so bad that we needed to sign Ferentz and Redmond to compete with Sherman, Redmond, Toran, and Martin

BOTTOM LINE
I'm glad to see Ferentz signed. We NEED him as our 7th OL. That how good our depth is. Ferentz isn't a lock, but he is close, especially if we are carrying 9 OL's as is likely under the new rules.

PICK TWO (after our starters, Karras and Ferentz)
Redmond, Cajuste, Herron, Cunningham, Sherman, Toran, Martin

Hopefully, both Herron and Sherman can beat out Redmond. More hopefully, there are more signees to come.

I agree that we have one of the best OL's in the league, with Karras first off the bench. Ferentz is now active and the 7th OL.
===========
I disagree with the idea that we have quality depth beyond the obvious six.

TACKLE
Cajuste, Herron, Cunningham
Maybe one of them is capable of being the Active swing tackle. More likely, Belichick would have to move Onwenu to RT if there were an injury. This is not what we should want at a general plan, especially with a player in his second year.

GUARD/CENTER
We have Karras, fine depth.
Usually, we have 3 backups for these two positions. The depth was so bad that we needed to sign Ferentz and Redmond to compete with Sherman, Redmond, Toran, and Martin

BOTTOM LINE
I'm glad to see Ferentz signed. We NEED him as our 7th OL. That how good our depth is. Ferentz isn't a lock, but he is close, especially if we are carrying 9 OL's as is likely under the new rules.

PICK TWO (after our starters, Karras and Ferentz)
Redmond, Cajuste, Herron, Cunningham, Sherman, Toran, Martin

Hopefully, both Herron and Sherman can beat out Redmond. More hopefully, there are more signees to come.
Since you started with the obvious 6 you are basically calling our best backup a starter. Including the one who doesn't start from your 6 plus Karras and Herron and thats about as good as one should expect from their depth. That's 8 players who all have played well for you before.

What depth?
Look at the list and go around the league and tell me:

1)which teams have better depth than we do on the line?
2)which teams have a better starting 5 than we do? Add Karras who was a starter last year who can play Center and both guard positions and Herron who was very good for us at RT and is entering his 2nd year and will get better.

I know you have a tendency to be negative and for some positions (lb, wr) I can live with it, but you can't be negative Nancy with our OL...it's the strength of the team, at least on offense anyway.

Look at the list and go around the league and tell me:

1)which teams have better depth than we do on the line?
2)which teams have a better starting 5 than we do? Add Karras who was a starter last year who can play Center and both guard positions and Herron who was very good for us at RT and is entering his 2nd year and will get better.

I know you have a tendency to be negative and for some positions (lb, wr) I can live with it, but you can't be negative Nancy with our OL...it's the strength of the team, at least on offense anyway.
Unfortunately, KC might have a better starting five - thanks to Baltimore. The idiots handed them a left tackle.

Unfortunately, KC might have a better starting five - thanks to Baltimore. The idiots handed them a left tackle.
Add Thuney to that group as well. Not resigning him was the only thing I was disappointed in with this offseason...can you imagine our line if he was here .........and without him our line is really good.

Shows you exactly how much - or how little, to be correct - that Giardi actually knows.

Considering the source, that's a compliment for Giardi..

Add Thuney to that group as well. Not resigning him was the only thing I was disappointed in with this offseason...can you imagine our line if he was here .........and without him our line is really good.
Yeah, but that contract was too much for Thuney - $46 guaranteed/16m AAV for a guard?

And as good as Thuney is, he's not Nelson or Scherff.

Yeah, but that contract was too much for Thuney - $46 guaranteed/16m AAV for a guard?

And as good as Thuney is, he's not Nelson or Scherff.

Nelson is playing on the 5th year option of his rookie deal. He's probably the only guy head of Thuney at LG. HOWEVER, can Nelson play LT or C? Things that Thuney has done in the past and done very well?

Scherff is listed as a RG and is being paid 18M AAV. You don't think Thuney is one of the top 5 guards (LG or RG) in the league?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back