PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL DRAFT (NEP visits & Pro days)

JOK

Tough break

Yea him & Browning have been on my radar for us. I wrote about each in my thread but I remember thinking Browning, Moehrig might go round 1 - top 40. Been high on Brown.

What's your thoughts on a home for Browning here? Would definitely be a future pick, no? In terms of playing time, making an impact rn? Think we'd take him at 46 if there?

I know it seems like we have a lot of linebackers right now, but is anyone counting on Hall and Bentley for the future? They're depth players, ideally. Hightower is great, but he's older and missed a year, and we don't know if he's going to continue playing like a pro bowler. KVN is signed for two years, but he mostly plays outside. I'm excited about Uche, but he seems like a natural KVN understudy. We're missing someone who could play inside at a high level. McMillan, maybe? I see a need for youth and speed there. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him at 46.

So many options! We need about 8 picks between 20 and 40. :D

I know it seems like we have a lot of linebackers right now, but is anyone counting on Hall and Bentley for the future? They're depth players, ideally. Hightower is great, but he's older and missed a year, and we don't know if he's going to continue playing like a pro bowler. KVN is signed for two years, but he mostly plays outside. I'm excited about Uche, but he seems like a natural KVN understudy. We're missing someone who could play inside at a high level. McMillan, maybe? I see a need for youth and speed there. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him at 46.

So many options! We need about 8 picks between 20 and 40. :D
Agreed and he's so versatile!

Without looking at a board, just from what you seen and come up with. Trade back at 15 or trade up with 96 & a fourth. Or both?

That’s actually a slower 40 time than I was anticipating from Toney. Thought for sure he’d be in the 4.3 range.

Davis is fun. He's a good backup plan if we can't get a guy like Collins, whose tape I like a little better.

That’s actually a slower 40 time than I was anticipating from Toney. Thought for sure he’d be in the 4.3 range.

I always thought of him as supremely agile, but not a true burner. More than fast enough, but not a Waddle type. His routes actually reminds me a bit of Antonio Brown. I think he's going to be absolutely dynamite.

Davis is fun. He's a good backup plan if we can't get a guy like Collins, whose tape I like a little better.

I always thought of him as supremely agile, but not a true burner. More than fast enough, but not a Waddle type. His routes actually reminds me a bit of Antonio Brown. I think he's going to be absolutely dynamite.
Agreed and supposedly he ran a 4.6 in hs so that's a great time for him. If his head is on straight I wouldn't mind him round two.

I’m fully expecting the following to all be gone before #15:

Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Kyle Pitts
Penei Sewell
Ja’Marr Chase
Jaylen Waddle
Trey Lance
DeVonta Smith
Mac Jones

So that’s 10 guys where it would be a shocker if any of them dropped to 15. Wasn’t as unthinkable with Mac Jones until the recent hype surrounding him and the Niners trading up where they did. Jones could slip past the top 10 but somewhere before 15 there’s bound to be a trade. This league has already seen what BB can do for the last two decades with a franchise QB, they’re not going to let this guy fall into their lap so easily.

BB typically loves drafting defense early, and in his Patriots career he has only drafted higher than 15th overall on three occasions. All three times he went with defense (2001, Richard Seymour at 6th overall, 2003, Ty Warren at 13th overall, and 2008, Jerod Mayo at 10th overall).

Micah Parsons, the top inside linebacker, could be available. So could one of the top 3 corners, all of whom are ranked differently depending who you ask (Jaycee Horn, Patrick Surtain II, and Caleb Farley). Kwity Paye could be an option if BB wants another pass rushing Wolverine, or Christian Barmore if he wants a defensive tackle.

I’m feeling more and more that if none of those 10 offensive players I mentioned are available, that BB takes defense barring a trade. Parsons makes the most sense if he’s still around as he’d be the heir to Hightower. If he’s not, then it depends what the long term plan is with Gilmore. If he’s going to move on from Gilmore by next year, he may want to draft his next CB1 (I think Horn is the best out of the bunch or at least the most well-rounded, as Surtain is supposedly vulnerable against quicker receivers, and Farley has had two back surgeries already which is a big red flag). But if he’s keeping Gilmore around, then he might reach on Barmore to upgrade the defensive line.

TL;DR - barring a miracle of one of the top tier offensive prospects falling in our lap, or trading out of the spot entirely, I expect BB to take a defensive player at 15.

McDaniels was at Florida’s pro day. I’d assume to get a look at Toney and Trask first and foremost.

Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Kyle Pitts
Penei Sewell
Ja’Marr Chase
Jaylen Waddle
Trey Lance
DeVonta Smith
Mac Jones

So that’s 10 guys where it would be a shocker if any of them dropped to 15. Wasn’t as unthinkable with Mac Jones until the recent hype surrounding him and the Niners trading up where they did. Jones could slip past the top 10 but somewhere before 15 there’s bound to be a trade. This league has already seen what BB can do for the last two decades with a franchise QB, they’re not going to let this guy fall into their lap so easily.

BB typically loves drafting defense early, and in his Patriots career he has only drafted higher than 15th overall on three occasions. All three times he went with defense (2001, Richard Seymour at 6th overall, 2003, Ty Warren at 13th overall, and 2008, Jerod Mayo at 10th overall).

Micah Parsons, the top inside linebacker, could be available. So could one of the top 3 corners, all of whom are ranked differently depending who you ask (Jaycee Horn, Patrick Surtain II, and Caleb Farley). Kwity Paye could be an option if BB wants another pass rushing Wolverine, or Christian Barmore if he wants a defensive tackle.

I’m feeling more and more that if none of those 10 offensive players I mentioned are available, that BB takes defense barring a trade. Parsons makes the most sense if he’s still around as he’d be the heir to Hightower. If he’s not, then it depends what the long term plan is with Gilmore. If he’s going to move on from Gilmore by next year, he may want to draft his next CB1 (I think Horn is the best out of the bunch or at least the most well-rounded, as Surtain is supposedly vulnerable against quicker receivers, and Farley has had two back surgeries already which is a big red flag). But if he’s keeping Gilmore around, then he might reach on Barmore to upgrade the defensive line.

TL;DR - barring a miracle of one of the top tier offensive prospects falling in our lap, or trading out of the spot entirely, I expect BB to take a defensive player at 15.

I think your list is pretty spot on who should be gone by the time we pick. My hope is that if BB isn’t completely sold on one of the top qbs to to trade up for then we stay put and let the picks fall where they may. I’m thinking that a player like Micah parsons or Kwity Paye could slide to us which in other years wouldn’t happen. Both are athletic freaks and can really anchor our defense and keep the defensive side of the ball a strength for a good while.

Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Kyle Pitts
Penei Sewell
Ja’Marr Chase
Jaylen Waddle
Trey Lance
DeVonta Smith
Mac Jones

I think your list is pretty spot on who should be gone by the time we pick. My hope is that if BB isn’t completely sold on one of the top qbs to to trade up for then we stay put and let the picks fall where they may. I’m thinking that a player like Micah parsons or Kwity Paye could slide to us which in other years wouldn’t happen. Both are athletic freaks and can really anchor our defense and keep the defensive side of the ball a strength for a good while.

Yep, if All 5 QBs are taken - plus the 3 WRs, Pitts, Sewell & I believe Slater will also go - then that leaves only 3 spots before #15 for who could likely be Micah Parsons, JC Horn & Greg Rousseau...That leaves us with our choice of LB2 - Zaven Collins; CB2 - Patrick Surtain; DE2 - Kwity Paye; or OL3 - Alijah Vera-Tucker...

What a wonderful problem to have...Please don't blow it Bill by trading UP for ANY QB not named Lawrence...Especially that future BUST Justin Fields...In fact you have my permission to trade DOWN slightly for another 3rd-rounder...

Yep, if All 5 QBs are taken - plus the 3 WRs, Pitts, Sewell & I believe Slater will also go - then that leaves only 3 spots before #15 for who could likely be Micah Parsons, JC Horn & Greg Rousseau...That leaves us with our choice of LB2 - Zaven Collins; CB2 - Patrick Surtain; DE2 - Kwity Paye; or OL3 - Alijah Vera-Tucker...

What a wonderful problem to have...Please don't blow it Bill by trading UP for ANY QB not named Lawrence...Especially that future BUST Justin Fields...In fact you have my permission to trade DOWN slightly for another 3rd-rounder...

I would not mind it if bb trades up to 11 if waddle drops that far.

if waddle is off the board, I like horn as a future replacement for Gilmore!

Every recent mock draft I've seen has the following gone by 15: all 5 top QBs, Waddle, Chase, Pitts, Slater, Sewell, Surtain. That leaves Horn, Smith, the various edge guys, Parsons, Darrisaw was the possible available guys when we pick. Smith and Horn seem the most likely to be gone by the time we pick. I don't have much interest in Parsons or the edge players at 15 personally. I like Paye as a player but not sure where he fits given the free agency signings. I would only stick at 15 if in some unlikely scenario either Surtain or Horn is available.

If the draft shakes out like above, I am very strongly in favour of a trade down to either pick up a extra 2nd or some future picks. Would love to get a combination of Greg Newsome, Elijah Moore, Jamin Davis, Terrace Marshall, Teven Jenkins, Liam Eichenberg in the 25-45 range. Then trade up from 96 to get Mond or Mills at the top of the 3rd.

Whew! Glad we've secured the Captain's permission. :D

Too bad he never played up to his testing numbers. He was sparingly used, but put up a strong yards per catch average. Here's a late-round WR binke for @ChrisR2223 :rofl:

*2019UCFAmericanSRWR111944823.610001944823.61
*2020UCFAmericanSRWR103053918.080003053918.08
CareerUCF4998720.190004998720.19

One of my favorite lineman. Violent, nasty, powerful!

I'm still a big believer in Wallace. His score is dragged down by his size and his broad jump, but on tape he's a jump ball king. He knows how to get open, shows good hands, and should easily outperform his athletic profile when he's another year out from his ACL tear. His sophomore season was really, really good.

*2019Oklahoma StateBig 12JRWR95390317.08100.005490316.78
*2020Oklahoma StateBig 12SRWR105992215.66177.006092915.56
CareerOklahoma State

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back