PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Mock Drafts

Did another mock today and like the results. Got some great value in the later rounds imo. I haven’t been doing many mocks where we trade up for a QB, because unfortunately I don’t see it as a very smart move given the cost. Also, don’t care about PFF’s silly grades.View attachment 31974
This seems more realistic than lots of these fantasy mock drafts. Jamin Davis might be available at that spot if Collins is gone. Unless somebody the Pats really want slides to #15, trading back makes more sense. Mills might not make it to Round 3. He probably needs to be picked where you have Williams. Some of those later picks could be paired in more trade ups or trade outs to end up with probably not more than 7 total picks at the end of this draft.

View attachment 31956

#4 QB Trey Lance. 6'4 224 lbs North Dakota State. Pros: Lance features elite athleticism and arm strength. In 2019 Trey Lance exhibited the traits of the ideal modern NFL QB, throwing for 2700 yards 28 TDs 0 INTs and rushing for an additional 1100 yards and 14 TDs. Unfortunately 2020 was cut short due to covid crisis and the school only scheduled 1 game. Cons: Lack of experience as a starter. Level of competition. Notes: After Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields went 123 in the draft, the Patriots move up aggressively to grab their potential franchise QB of the future. Lance style of play makes him ideally suited to have Cam Newton as his mentor before he eventually steps into the starting role a year or two from now.

#41 WR Dyami Brown. 6'1 195 lbs North Carolina. Pros: Dyami Brown offers electric down the field playmaking ability. He posted back to back 1,000 yard receiving seasons in the ACC. On top of that his Run After Catch ability is dynamic. He can take a slant route and potentially take it to the house. As an added bonus Brown is a great run blocker who consistently finishes his blocks in the run game. Cons: Brown needs to improve his hand battling skills and strength to beat the press and improve his technique to win in contested catch situations. Notes: Dyami Brown is the type of electric WR who can take the top off a defense and force them to respect the deep ball, opening up the middle of the field game for the Pats stacked tight ends to work that area of the field.

#69 S Jamar Johnson. 6'1 197 lbs Indiania. Pros: Jamar Johnson has excellent physical traits to play the deep safety role. He has ball hawking instincts evidenced by his 4 interceptions, including 2 of them from top QB prospect Justin Fields. He displays good fluidity and hips to stay with route runners and position himself to make a play. Cons: Johnson struggles at time in the run game and can end up diving and missing tackles. Notes: With Devin Mccourty getting older, drafting an apprentice early is key to maintaining the Patriots strength against the passing game. Johnson's tackling issues is something that could possibly be coached up with training in basic techniques but his existing strength in defending the pass is exactly what you look for in a free safety prospect. Sidenote: How can the 69th overall pick NOT be great? ;)

#120 LB Jamin Davis. 6'4 234 lbs 33" arms Kentucky. Pros: Jamin Davis jumps off the page with his athleticism, running 4.37 40, 42 inch vertical, and 11 foot broad jump during his pro day. On top of the elite physicality he added solid production numbers of 102 tackles, 3 interceptions, 1.5 sacks, a blocked kick, and defensive touchdown in 2020. Jamin's ability to cover big tight ends makes him an asset where NFL TEs are becoming huge factors in the passing game. Cons: Limited experience with only 11 career starts. Needs to improve play diagnosis speed and improve technique taking on lead blockers. Note: Davis explosive athleticism reminds you of a guy like Jamie Collins who can become multi-dimensional defenders at the NFL level. He has also drawn comparisons by NFL analyst Daniel Jeremiah to 2018 NFL defensive rookie of the year Darius Leonard.

#139 T D'ante Smith. 6'5 294 lbs 35 1/4" arms East Carolina. Pros: D'Ante Smith created a lot of buzz at the Senior bowl with outstanding practices where he dominated 1 on 1 drills and showed of his top end athleticism. He answered weight questions by weighing in at 294 and his 35" arms create an elite wingspan to ward off pass rushers on the edge. Cons: Needs to improve technique against inside moves. Needs to improve blocking balance and stay on his feet.

#188 CB Shakur Brown. 5'10 185 lbs 33" arms Michigan State. Pros: Athletic, above average strength in press game, plays with an edge, instinctive ballhawk who made 5 interceptions his junior year. Cons: Size. Doesn't handle big receivers well. More quick than fast. Notes: Although Brown has experience playing on the outside he is more suitable to play in the slot role where he can bully inside receivers and potentially make plays on the ball.

#242 WR Josh Imatorbhebhe 6'2 218 Illinois. Pros: Big explosive and athletic. Scored 9 TDs and averaged 19.2 yards per catch in 2019. Lots of raw potential. Cons: No idea how to pronounce his name. Needs to improve sharpness on his route running.

Final notes: The Patriots aggressively move up in the draft to secure their QB of the future, a modern uber athlete in Trey Lance who can be a threat in the air as well as on the ground. They also add a couple of athletic and explosive receiving weapons to stretch the field with the additions of Brown and Imatorbhebhe. They selected a physical linebacker freak who could potentially play all 4 downs in Jamin Davis. And they added depth at S, CB, and OL. Even if only half of these exciting picks pan out, the story of the draft will likely hinge on Trey Lance being successful in the New England system. But I have faith that Josh McDaniels will mold the system to fit the strengths of his new franchise QB. Cam Newton plays a very similar style to Lance and could be the ideal Mentor before passing on the keys.

I like the trade-up for Lance...Not a fan of the two other ones however, especially the one that resulted in the drafting of a...Safety...

This seems more realistic than lots of these fantasy mock drafts. Jamin Davis might be available at that spot if Collins is gone. Unless somebody the Pats really want slides to #15, trading back makes more sense. Mills might not make it to Round 3. He probably needs to be picked where you have Williams. Some of those later picks could be paired in more trade ups or trade outs to end up with probably not more than 7 total picks at the end of this draft.

i agree. I actually tried to trade the later picks in bulk to select better in rd 3-5, but the computer didn’t, and would not value it the way real teams might in the later rounds, there for declining everything I tried. I could have forced the trade but that didn’t seem natural and I think the later picks even through the 7th could be considered value for the DP.
I’ll try some more when I have a few mins to spare. Theyre not to hard. Sometimes I do them when I’m on hold on phone calls, which seems all to common these days.

I actually uploaded the wrong screen shot of the mock I intend to post about earlier today. The one I posted was a double post essentially because it was a screen shot from almost a week earlier that I had recently posted about.

This was my most recent mock I was excited about.

As talk continues to fly around about the cost of moving around, Ive grown slightly more content with not drafting a QB early. I’m also stating to get a better feel for the players I’d like after round 4, amd where the value and steals are there, but I’m sure I’ll move some around before the draft. However all these players I would absolutely love.
52079AD7-43D0-4D3B-8FF0-47413D28E9EB.png

I’d love to know what some of you see in Mills. I just don’t see it.

I’d love to know what some of you see in Mills. I just don’t see it.

I think people that are high on him, get in from his play, combined with his intangibles and upside. Which IMO, is clearly the highest of any of the QB’s after the top 5. Mills is the last QB I’d want in this draft, I’d rather make a trade for a veteran if mills gets taken in the 2nd

Did another mock today while eating lunch. Can you imagine?! With this draft, we might be back in the AFCC by 2022. The more I do these, I'm starting to get the feeling that this draft could really unfold in our favor in terms of our needs VS BPA. We have needs for types of players and positions, where good talent seems to be falling to the later rounds. Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 3.28.47 PM.png

This one was fun, unrealistic trade downs and made a bunch of mid round picks.

1618013022392.png

I like that mocks are starting to feature Sherwood. I like him a lot. Kid’s got range and he’s a thumper.

3 round mock - strategy is to trade down in the 1st and up in the 3rd. Trading 15 for 21 and 54, 46 for 59 and 91, 96 and 120 for 83, and 91, 122, and 177 for 76. That would leave us with 139 and a couple of later picks.

21: Rashod Bateman, WR
54: Kellen Mond, QB
59: Brady Christensen, OT
77: Pete Werner, LB
83: Paulson Adebo, CB

I really tried to get Jevon Holland in here, possibly at 59, as I think he looks like a Pats safety, but in the end thought OT was a greater need. I could also certainly see a CB in the first and a receiver in the 2nd/3rd instead, but I think Bateman is everything we look for in a WR - great hands, good route runner, physical, seems a Justin Jefferson clone to me.

I think Mond is a bit of a reach at 54, but it seems nailed on we are taking one of the second tier of QBs and they always get overdrafted. Wouldn't be against Mills in the mid 3rd instead I suppose.

Don't we have enough Safeties already?
I’m thinking of beyond the 2021 season. McCourty is 33. Dugger might fit the role as a 3rd safety but I didn’t see anything last year that makes me believe he can handle McCourty’s role in the defense. You didn’t either. So where’s the issue?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back