PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Defense Talk

Do it:

Or better yet, wait for a cut and renegotiate his contract (he's still worth $10million in the middle, though).

Last edited:
Run Downs

5T: Wise
1T: Allen/Davis/Draft Pick
3T: Godchaux/Anderson
OLB: Judon
LB: Hightower
LB: Bentley/Free Agent/Draft Pick
5T: Wise
1T: Davis/Godchaux
3T: Godchaux/Cowart
Edge: Judon
LB: HT, KVN (Uche would be my favourite Backup here > Bentley, cause behind a more stout Line we could really use his athletic and his tackling is good in space. I don't see what Bentley makes better than Uche except he can take on O-Linemen but his tackling isn't better)

We signed dt adams today. Interesting to see how he fits into this improved defense.

Still some work to do on the DL and LB.

1. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bently's time here end this off season. He's too one dimensional. Ideally I'd want to see KVN back up High at the thumper LB while playing on the outside with Judon in regular sets.

2. I keep wanting to see the draft or add another sideline to sideline ILB a la Devon White. But I'm thinking we already have that guy on the roster. Uche was positively EXPLOSIVE sometimes on D and is as athletic as it gets....but as raw as it gets as well. How about training him for the Jame Collins position next to Hightower as the weakside ILB. Then in our 3-4 sets we'd have Judon and KVN as rush OLB's in a rotation with Wino on passing downs with High and Uche in the middle. Blitzing up the middle on passing downs and with Uche having the speed to cover most RB's and TE's

Granted it would take some time for this to happen. Uche has always played the edge for most of his college and pro career. From personal experience it DOES take some time to get used to seeing the field from the middle after experiencing it from the edge. But I think the learning curve would be well worth it. Bruschi was came here as a down edge rusher and eventually became a consument weakside ILB who could cover AND play the run. I think Uche is too light in the pants to ever become a solid edge setter. By moving him back there, they get a 3 down player instead of situational one. Just a thought.

3. I think BB would really like to be able to play out of 3-4 sets if Godcheaux can really be a blocker eater up front and anchor the D. If he brings back Guy he could have 2 300lb long armed and tall DE's in Guy and Anderson. Both pressure fairly well. Wise would work well in a rotation, especially on passing downs, but is too light to be your regular. IF we can find those guys, then the Pats are fully packed in versatile LB's and DB's to create a lot of difficult schemes and problems for defenses week to week. But finding 3 selfless guys to do the dirty work up from isn't easy

4. And before I put strict positions on people, I think this team can be positionless or flexible so seeing High coming from the outside shouldn't be a shock just as seen KVN in the middle.

5. Bottom line this defense is STILL going to be one where the strength will start from the backside as far as talent and depth go.

BTW- Depth will be critical because IIRC most of the front 7 players played just around only 50% of the snaps while the DB's played more.

I'm actually disappointed at how Godchaux/Anderson are not elite run defenders. If we don't bring back Guy I think we still have a major problem with run defense.

There's still some competition to be added to a lot of groups on defense, but getting Hightower back and adding Judon gives them two more players in the front 7 that can really play in any situation. They were sorely lacking on those kinds of guys last year. If Winovich can take a step forward in his run defense, he could be a lite version of that too.
Winovich weighs 10 lbs less than HT. Isn’t that crazy?

We played the 1-5-5 on 3rd down in 2019 and it was really successful. We should be able to do that again now with all these new linebackers.

I'm high on Uche and really hope these signings don't relegate him to the bench. Perhaps he can take the Jamie Collins type role and play inside linebacker who rushes on 3rd down - there is certainly a gap at inside linebacker that he could fill.

I don't really see many gaps on the defensive side now. A young CB is probably a need for 2022 with JC Jackson/Gilmore's futures uncertain, and maybe to take JMac's role this year. And possibly a free safety as this could be McCourty's last year too (although perhaps Mills can take that). But nothing that massive for 2021.

We played the 1-5-5 on 3rd down in 2019 and it was really successful. We should be able to do that again now with all these new linebackers.

I'm high on Uche and really hope these signings don't relegate him to the bench. Perhaps he can take the Jamie Collins type role and play inside linebacker who rushes on 3rd down - there is certainly a gap at inside linebacker that he could fill.

I don't really see many gaps on the defensive side now. A young CB is probably a need for 2022 with JC Jackson/Gilmore's futures uncertain, and maybe to take JMac's role this year. And possibly a free safety as this could be McCourty's last year too (although perhaps Mills can take that). But nothing that massive for 2021.

Run defense is a gap. Godreaux and Anderson aren't elite run stoppers unfortunately

I'm actually disappointed at how Godchaux/Anderson are not elite run defenders. If we don't bring back Guy I think we still have a major problem with run defense.
Perhaps you should learn about the players.

Run defense is a gap. Godreaux and Anderson aren't elite run stoppers unfortunately

Not clear why you have the notion that Godchaux is not a capable run defender.

Watching his highlights, he's strong as a bull and rarely gets moved backwards, even when double-teamed. He can anchor extremely well and is athletic for his size. Looks like a really solid addition and a huge boost to the run defense assuming he's healthy.

Last edited:
Still some work to do on the DL and LB.

1. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bently's time here end this off season. He's too one dimensional. Ideally I'd want to see KVN back up High at the thumper LB while playing on the outside with Judon in regular sets.

2. I keep wanting to see the draft or add another sideline to sideline ILB a la Devon White. But I'm thinking we already have that guy on the roster. Uche was positively EXPLOSIVE sometimes on D and is as athletic as it gets....but as raw as it gets as well. How about training him for the Jame Collins position next to Hightower as the weakside ILB. Then in our 3-4 sets we'd have Judon and KVN as rush OLB's in a rotation with Wino on passing downs with High and Uche in the middle. Blitzing up the middle on passing downs and with Uche having the speed to cover most RB's and TE's

Granted it would take some time for this to happen. Uche has always played the edge for most of his college and pro career. From personal experience it DOES take some time to get used to seeing the field from the middle after experiencing it from the edge. But I think the learning curve would be well worth it. Bruschi was came here as a down edge rusher and eventually became a consument weakside ILB who could cover AND play the run. I think Uche is too light in the pants to ever become a solid edge setter. By moving him back there, they get a 3 down player instead of situational one. Just a thought.

3. I think BB would really like to be able to play out of 3-4 sets if Godcheaux can really be a blocker eater up front and anchor the D. If he brings back Guy he could have 2 300lb long armed and tall DE's in Guy and Anderson. Both pressure fairly well. Wise would work well in a rotation, especially on passing downs, but is too light to be your regular. IF we can find those guys, then the Pats are fully packed in versatile LB's and DB's to create a lot of difficult schemes and problems for defenses week to week. But finding 3 selfless guys to do the dirty work up from isn't easy

4. And before I put strict positions on people, I think this team can be positionless or flexible so seeing High coming from the outside shouldn't be a shock just as seen KVN in the middle.

5. Bottom line this defense is STILL going to be one where the strength will start from the backside as far as talent and depth go.

BTW- Depth will be critical because IIRC most of the front 7 players played just around only 50% of the snaps while the DB's played more.
The last point about playing time of the front seven should be featured in your analysis. The defense with Mayo and Belichick the Younger calling the plays was very situational last season, and more aggressive than Matt Patricia's. The roster moves strengthen their options, especially Anderson, Godchaux and Wise up front. The emergence of Winowich and Duggar as young, fast hard hitters who can play almost anywhere on the defense makes everyone more effective. They allow guys like Van Noye, Bentley and Hightower to play in positions that match their skill sets. The depth makes it possible to pace players like Hightower for crucial situations.

The AFC East with the Patriots, Bills and Dolphins, is possibly the toughest division in football, defensively. The offense will be called on to score fewer points and therefore is a better fit for a Newton- or rookie-led offense.

Strange take dude. Godchaux had the most run stops of any DT in 2019 and Anderson was ranked 3rd in the league for run stopping last season
Did you see miami was 26th in run D that season ?? Or his draft scouting report

Did you see miami was 26th in run D that season ?? Or his draft scouting report
Their overall team in 19 was bad af. They traded basically their valuable players for picks. Same with us last year, if Guy has no help our run defense looks weak but does that make Guy a bad run stopper?

I want an extra DT still as you mention. If we don’t take QB, I’d want DT at 15. Maybe even bring Guy back too. Why not? Godchaux and Anderson aren’t exactly sure things.

Not sure things. Don’t like how either Godchaux or Anderson played last season but if you look at what they did in 19’ its a completely different story. 75 tackles for a dt tells me someone is doing the most of the work upfront before it can get to the LB’s and the 2nd level. Also Anderson’s 6 sacks from the interior position is a huge positive. But you’re right. Neither are a sure thing unless the player and coaches can get the best out of each other. Promising considering our coaching staff but certainly not a slam dunk unless they mesh.

Not sure things. Don’t like how either Godchaux or Anderson played last season but if you look at what they did in 19’ its a completely different story. 75 tackles for a dt tells me someone is doing the most of the work upfront before it can get to the LB’s and the 2nd level. Also Anderson’s 6 sacks from the interior position is a huge positive. But you’re right. Neither are a sure thing unless the player and coaches can get the best out of each other. Promising considering our coaching staff but certainly not a slam dunk unless they mesh.
Exactly. Godchaux has an injury history too.

We’ve done this before with guys like Danny Shelton where we relied too much on someone with “potential” and got burned.

There are several good Edge players and DT out there in FA, though most are long in years. Still, an Akiem Hicks or DaQuon Jones or Geno Atkins in the middle, or a Clowney or Houston or Carlos Dunlap on the Edge wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

There are several good Edge players and DT out there in FA, though most are long in years. Still, an Akiem Hicks or DaQuon Jones or Geno Atkins in the middle, or a Clowney or Houston or Carlos Dunlap on the Edge wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Another starting caliber DT/DE would be tremendous.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back