PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 NE CAP SPACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will surely get extra relief after they restructure (extend & convert to upfront signing bonus):

- Tom Brady
- D.McCourty
- Gronk
- Hightower
Brady May or may not create space because it’s going to be an extension with a new bonus.
Mccourty and gronk (like Brady) cannot be restructured because they are in the final year.
To extend them would add whatever new signing bonus they get to next years cap (less the part that counts this year) in addition to what you push out.
The cap hit next year if the retire would then be substantially higher than the amount we save this year. That doesn’t seem like the way we handle the cap.
Hightower could free up a little but would push money into an already large future cap hit.
Brady will get extended and could save nothing or maybe up to 3 mill. I don’t think any of the other 3 will.

Quick question if Brady was extended to like a 3 year 45 Mil with no signing bonus just 15 mil base salary each year but all 45 mil was 100% guaranteed if Brady retired after the 2020 season would the remainder of the 30 mil that was 100% guaranteed accelerate to 2021 or would it be wiped out because he retired?

I expect both Edelman and Gronkowski to get extensions this offseason if for no other reason than to increase their 2019 compensation with bonuses and also lower both players 2019 cap figures as well.

The Patriots modus operandi is to push money forward as little as possible. But, it’s likely there will be a couple of seasons post-Brady where the starting QB’s cap charge will be minimal and allow for the absorption of some dead money from Brady’s last contract and others as well.

Quick question if Brady was extended to like a 3 year 45 Mil with no signing bonus just 15 mil base salary each year but all 45 mil was 100% guaranteed if Brady retired after the 2020 season would the remainder of the 30 mil that was 100% guaranteed accelerate to 2021 or would it be wiped out because he retired?

I would assume that there is language in contracts that makes any guaranteed base salary subject to being available (apart from injuries obviously).

With the signing bonus it is on the team if they go after the player for the portion that are about to be paid out.

I expect both Edelman and Gronkowski to get extensions this offseason if for no other reason than to increase their 2019 compensation with bonuses and also lower both players 2019 cap figures as well.

The Patriots modus operandi is to push money forward as little as possible. But, it’s likely there will be a couple of seasons post-Brady where the starting QB’s cap charge will be minimal and allow for the absorption of some dead money from Brady’s last contract and others as well.

They wouldn't be able to take advantage of the cheap rookie QB contract in this case though if this is evened out by dead money.

You would have to think then that Brady would like a deal like 3 for 45 fully guaranteed because the thing I assume he values above money is the ability to end his career on his terms hell throw in a no trade clause to boot Brady gets what he wants and the team gets the cap relieve so the deal would end up restructuring 4/60 fully guaranteed at 18 Mil cap hit from 2019-2022 (15 M Base and 12M of bonuses re-deferred over 4 year) even at the worst case Brady is good for 2 and then sucks after that if the cap goes up by just 5% over the next 4 years the cap would go up by 40 Million so even if Brady sucked the last 2 years his cap number wouldn't be crippling at all

If we believe this is likely to be gronk last year we would be pushing money to next year not Brady-less years.
Also unless gronk would accept an extension with no new money you would push more into next year than you save this year, which would be bad business.
The patriots MO would seem to be accept a 10 mill cap hit this year instead of a 7 year cap hit this year and 7 mill of dead money next year.

You would have to think then that Brady would like a deal like 3 for 45 fully guaranteed because the thing I assume he values above money is the ability to end his career on his terms hell throw in a no trade clause to boot Brady gets what he wants and the team gets the cap relieve so the deal would end up restructuring 4/60 fully guaranteed at 18 Mil cap hit from 2019-2022 (15 M Base and 12M of bonuses re-deferred over 4 year) even at the worst case Brady is good for 2 and then sucks after that if the cap goes up by just 5% over the next 4 years the cap would go up by 40 Million so even if Brady sucked the last 2 years his cap number wouldn't be crippling at all
Why would brady accept that?
What do you mean by “re-deferred”?

Brady would do it because he would get to call the shots in regards to the end of his career, which I assume is his biggest need with guaranteed base and a no-trade he could play until he was 45 without having to worry about being cut or traded.

and re-deferred this year cap hit for Brady includes 7M prorated signing bonus and a 5M restructure bonus so you take the 12 mil and dived it by 4 (this year plus the added 3) thats correct right.

Anyways that would free up 9M this year

Brady would do it because he would get to call the shots in regards to the end of his career, which I assume is his biggest need with guaranteed base and a no-trade he could play until he was 45 without having to worry about being cut or traded.

and re-deferred this year cap hit for Brady includes 7M prorated signing bonus and a 5M restructure bonus so you take the 12 mil and dived it by 4 (this year plus the added 3) thats correct right.

Anyways that would free up 9M this year
I can’t imagine Brady would sign an extension with no money up front and at about half of his market value.
It would be nice if he did but to expect him to play for 13 mill this year and 15 mill the next 3 which is less than trey flowers gets seems out of the realm of realistic.

Rumors were the deal bring worked in was a 3 year extension at 100 mill and 50 guaranteed.

I don’t think he has to worry about being in control of how he ends his career.

Why 15 ? Why not 12 ? or 18 ? or 22 ?

Why would Brady take less money than Dalton, Winston or Flacco ? What exactly is the leverage the Pats have to keep it at 15 ? Cut him ? lol

If he takes a discount there is no way it will be for less than what Jimmy G is making. Which is around ~ 20M. And that is assuming he'd even take a discount.

100/3 might be his value on the open market but making the most money has never been brady's desire over the past 7 year his average cashed earned is 14.5M and its not like that is skewed by a massive signing bonus or anything (his highest cash earnings in the last 7 were 2014 @ 19M and his lowest was 2012 @ 12M) again I'm not talking about cap hit or base salary I'm talking cashed earned.

So if brady was ok with making 14.5M on average for his age 35-41 seasons why wouldnt he be ok with making 15M for his age 42-45 seasons

100/3 might be his value on the open market but making the most money has never been brady's desire over the past 7 year his average cashed earned is 14.5M and its not like that is skewed by a massive signing bonus or anything (his highest cash earnings in the last 7 were 2014 @ 19M and his lowest was 2012 @ 12M) again I'm not talking about cap hit or base salary I'm talking cashed earned.

So if brady was ok with making 14.5M on average for his age 35-41 seasons why wouldnt he be ok with making 15M for his age 42-45 seasons

So why did he pressed for more money last year before settling for those incentives ?

Because the Pats had actual leverage with JimmyG in the back. He saw it every day in practice that a younger player was breathing down his neck. He did exactly what other veterans who got shipped out by BB didn't want to do. Take the discount to guarantee to stay value.

According to over the cap Brady’s cash payout was 31000000 in 2013 and 28.7 in 16.
In 2016 he signed a 2 year 41 million extension and since then has gone to all 3 SBs and won 2 of them, so accepting a 25-30% paycut while average QBs are making much more than you suggest he should accept seems shaky.

Tom Brady Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

So why did he pressed for more money last year before settling for those incentives ?

Because the Pats had actual leverage with JimmyG in the back. He saw it every day in practice that a younger player was breathing down his neck. He did exactly what other veterans who got shipped out by BB didn't want to do. Take the discount to guarantee to stay value.

because he was only slotted to make 6.5M in actual cash last year before the restructure so the restructure took him from 6.5 to 15 in actual cash earned and then the pats threw him a bone in terms of the incentives which I might add he didn't hit any of (and yet during the season we didn't hear any **** from him about switching to a more run dominated offense mid season not saying it was ridiculously run dominate just quiet a bit more that in years past) my point is that Brady has never once showed us in his entire career that he strives to be the top paid at his position and that he cares more about playing until he is done not a coach or owner deciding that for him.

According to over the cap Brady’s cash payout was 31000000 in 2013 and 28.7 in 16.
In 2016 he signed a 2 year 41 million extension and since then has gone to all 3 SBs and won 2 of them, so accepting a 25-30% paycut while average QBs are making much more than you suggest he should accept seems shaky.

Tom Brady Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

yeah I was going off spotrac Tom Brady they must have it wrong because now that you bring it up I do remember brady's signing bonus in 2016 being over 25M

because he was only slotted to make 6.5M in actual cash last year before the restructure so the restructure took him from 6.5 to 15 in actual cash earned and then the pats threw him a bone in terms of the incentives which I might add he didn't hit any of (and yet during the season we didn't hear any **** from him about switching to a more run dominated offense mid season not saying it was ridiculously run dominate just quiet a bit more that in years past) my point is that Brady has never once showed us in his entire career that he strives to be the top paid at his position and that he cares more about playing until he is done not a coach or owner deciding that for him.
Huh? Brady threw 581 passes in 2017 and 570 in 2018.
Why would he complain about less than 1 fewer pass per game.
Plus why would brady who had never complained about anything have complaint as the standard for guessing that he wants to take a paycut?

Then why was Brady ok making 15M in 2017 (18th highest) & 2018 (21st highest) even in 2016 he was only 12th highest what has changed for brady since then

Then why was Brady ok making 15M in 2017 (18th highest) & 2018 (21st highest) even in 2016 he was only 12th highest what has changed for brady since then
He got a 2 year 41 million extension. That’s 20.5 per year.
Why would be agree to a 25-30% reduction when since then he went to all 3 SBs, won 2 of them and qb salaries have continued to rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back