PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 NE CAP SPACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady only made 15 Million last year not 20.5 when he restructured in 2018 he moved 5M to incentives and he hit none of them
Brady’s contract extension in 2016 for 2019 and 2019 seasons was 2 years for 41 million.
What days he got the money is irrelevant.
If you sign a 5 year contact with a 100 million signing bonus and 1 million in salaries you are only being paid 1 mill a year for the next 4 years.

No he did not give up 5 mill and make it contingent on incentives. That wouldn’t even be allowed.
The team added incentives of 5 million

Report: Patriots restructuring Tom Brady's contract with heavy incentives

Brady signed an extension for 2 years and 41 mill in 2016. He was paid 11 mill up front and had 15 mill salaries in 18 and 19.

Last year the ADDED AN ADDITIONAL possible 5 mill in incentives to address him being so severely underpaid.

I don’t think they will ask him to add 3 years at a 30% paycut and get nothing up front.

I am answering your earlier question. I ignored your latter question because it's moving the goalposts, and incidentally the Patriots didn't sign anyone for over $5 million a year last year either. You have no way of knowing how many "higher priced" free agents they tried to sign last year, so you have no way of knowing if this year is in any way unusual.

You joined a discussion that actually jumped threads, concerning whether the Patriots were up against the cap. Previously posters cited reports that the Patriots had offered large contracts as proof that the team was willing to spend in a tight cap.

So ironically the point of my post agrees with you. I was offering a different perspective on the reported bidding by saying no one knows what is happening, and Bill might be just raising the prices.

But we have to start somewhere. It's a forum to chat. If we can't believe multiple reports concerning offers from confirmed sources, what is there to talk about?

EDIT - Here's my post in the Mike Reiss thread this AM, which pretty much agrees with you. Sorry for the confusion.

"I've accepted long ago to never know what BB is really thinking so, of course this is just conversation/speculation. We never know what is going really on behind the scenes or if the Patriots are serious contenders in certain situations.

The point is that while people used reported Patriot's offers to Humphries, Cook, Beasley and interest in Tate/Amenedola as proof they were willing to spend in FA, I could just as easily see BB chuckling that he forced Vrabel, Gruden, and division rivals Bills, to bid against themselves by extending offers creative enough to get a no, but get the price up."

Last edited:
Brady’s contract extension in 2016 for 2019 and 2019 seasons was 2 years for 41 million.
What days he got the money is irrelevant.
If you sign a 5 year contact with a 100 million signing bonus and 1 million in salaries you are only being paid 1 mill a year for the next 4 years.

No he did not give up 5 mill and make it contingent on incentives. That wouldn’t even be allowed.
The team added incentives of 5 million
Your partically right he converted 10M of his base to signing bonus spread over 2018 & 2019 and the team kicked in the incentives to sweeten the deal.

Report: Patriots restructuring Tom Brady's contract with heavy incentives

Brady signed an extension for 2 years and 41 mill in 2016. He was paid 11 mill up front and had 15 mill salaries in 18 and 19.

Last year the ADDED AN ADDITIONAL possible 5 mill in incentives to address him being so severely underpaid.

I don’t think they will ask him to add 3 years at a 30% paycut and get nothing up front.

Lets just see if we can agree on the facts
Tom Brady Made in cash the following:
(and im not cherry picking either 2011=10M & 2012=12M)

2013 = $31M
2014 = $2M
2015 = $8M
2016 = $28.77M
2017 = $1M
2018 = $15M
2019 = $15M

31+2+8+28.77+1+15+15 = 100.77 / 7 Years = $14.4M per year of new cash per year do you agree with that

Your partically right he converted 10M of his base to signing bonus spread over 2018 & 2019 and the team kicked in the incentives to sweeten the deal.
Converting salary to signing bonus is irrelevant. It’s just an accounting measure for cap purposes. There was no “deal to sweeten” they gave him a chance to earn more because he is so underpaid.

Lets just see if we can agree on the facts
Tom Brady Made in cash the following:
(and im not cherry picking either 2011=10M & 2012=12M)

2013 = $31M
2014 = $2M
2015 = $8M
2016 = $28.77M
2017 = $1M
2018 = $15M
2019 = $15M

31+2+8+28.77+1+15+15 = 100.77 / 7 Years = $14.4M per year of new cash per year do you agree with that
You have to look at the contracts. You can’t ignore signing bonuses.
But in any event why are we going back to 2013 when we know what he agreed to in 2016 and that as of last year everyone agreed he was underpaid?

You have to look at the contracts. You can’t ignore signing bonuses.
But in any event why are we going back to 2013 when we know what he agreed to in 2016 and that as of last year everyone agreed he was underpaid?
No that is including signing bonus just look at over the caps page this is literally every penny he was paid between 2013 and now here's the link look at the history tab and then at the column all the way to the right titled CASH PAID Tom Brady Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap and my point is that these include the deals he signed in 2013, 2016 & 2018 and everyone has always agreed that he has ALWAYS been unpaid thats not my point my point is that he has averaged making 15M per season during the best years of his career at this point why wouldn't he mind getting paid that during his twilight of his career.

With Gronkowski retiring that puts us $17m under?

No that is including signing bonus just look at over the caps page this is literally every penny he was paid between 2013 and now here's the link look at the history tab and then at the column all the way to the right titled CASH PAID Tom Brady Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap and my point is that these include the deals he signed in 2013, 2016 & 2018 and everyone has always agreed that he has ALWAYS been unpaid thats not my point my point is that he has averaged making 15M per season during the best years of his career at this point why wouldn't he mind getting paid that during his twilight of his career.
When did he sign the contract or extension that included the salary for 2013?

Again going back to 2013 to compare a contract going through 2022 makes no sense to me. Again, ill say this. And Ill make it my final word.

In 2016 Tom Brady agreed to add 2 years to his contract at salaries of 15 mill each AND RECEIVED AN 11 MILLION DOLLAR SIGNING BONUS. 2 years after the team added incentives because he was so underpaid.

3 years, 3 sbs and 2 rings later, while qb salaries have risen dramatically he isn’t going to agree to 3 years at the same 15 mill without getting any signing bonus. That’s a 30% paycut when QB contracts have risen dramatically.
You are asking Tom Brady to agree thatvhe has less value today that tyrod Taylor had in 2017.

Except it might cost more to replace him as it most likely will have to be done by a trade at this point.

Yep. I agree it is actually possible that his retirement might actually have a net negative depending on the trades they will make to recharge the offense.

Except it might cost more to replace him as it most likely will have to be done by a trade at this point.
Trades are cheaper on the cap. No signing bonus.

Trades are cheaper on the cap. No signing bonus.
Probably going to take two players maybe even 3 to replace him. We need to replace a dynamic part of the offense, we need to replace TE, and we might need a tackle eligible type for short yardage.
Good luck finding this in one guy for less than Gronk.
I'd probably focus on adding an Impact WR because it should be easier to find. Then I'd add a solid vet at TE. And depending how good a blocker he is you might need that tackle eligible player.

We might sign someone or two players for $50/4 years for Gronk's cap money. Ot we could trade for someone with $9M salary. I suspect that this is possible.

$28M bonus/4 years
$2M 2019 salary
$10M 2020 salary
$10M 2021 salary
$10M 2022 salary

We already needed a solid vet at TE and an impact WR. Now we have $9M more to work with.

Probably going to take two players maybe even 3 to replace him. We need to replace a dynamic part of the offense, we need to replace TE, and we might need a tackle eligible type for short yardage.
I'd probably focus on adding an Impact WR because it should be easier to find. Then I'd add a solid vet at TE. And depending how good a blocker he is you might need that tackle eligible player.

We aren’t going to replace gronk we are going to adapt to an offense that doesn’t have gronk.
No doubt we will have a OT3 who gets snaps at TE. It’s not another player but a role for a guy who is active any way. Solder did that as a rookie, for example.

The only silver lining is we are coming off a year when gronk wasn’t his usual self, so the starting point isn’t replacing a focal point but more if a complementary piece.

We already needed a solid vet at TE and an impact WR. Now we have $9M more to work with.
With Edelman and Gronk we had our impact guys.
I think before Gronk retired if we got another TE it would have been in the draft now I think we need the Vet and probably a draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back