PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 Mock Drafts

Today's Fanspeak 7-round mock with Difficult algorithm courtesy of Draft Countdown & user-voted team needs:

32: R1P32
WR A.J. BROWN, OLE MISS

56: R2P24
TE DAWSON KNOX, OLE MISS

64: R2P32
DE CHARLES OMENIHU, TEXAS

73: R3P9
OT BOBBY EVANS, OKLAHOMA

97: R3P33
S AMANI HOOKER, IOWA

101: R3P37
WR TERRY MCLAURIN, OHIO ST.

134: R4P32
CB COREY BALLENTINE, WASHBURN

205: R6P32
G DRU SAMIA, OKLAHOMA

239: R7P25
LB CAMERON SMITH, USC

243: R7P29
TE ALIZÉ MACK, NOTRE DAME

246: R7P32
DL DONTAVIUS RUSSELL, AUBURN

252: R7P38
EDGE PORTER GUSTIN, USC

Here's the full mock:
2019 NFL Mock Draft via Fanspeak's On the Clock Mock Draft Simulator

- The first 2 picks were no-brainers based on our needs at both TE & WR and on the remaining available players.
- Because of our need at DE, it was either Omenihu or Miami's Joe Jackson at 64.
- We need Offensive Tackles too, and Evans is the best remaining one at 73.
- The well-dressed Amani Hooker is the best available Safety remaining at 97, and is terrific insurance in case either Chung or McCourty falls off the cliff. Besides, Hooker & Bobby Kraft should make for some funny jokes.
- Double-dipping at WR already? You betcha. If McLaurin had been taken, I would've gambled on greatness with Miles Boykin.
- The ultra-athletic Corey Ballentine could be starting opposite Gilmour by season's end.
- None of the TEs I wanted at 205 were available, so I took the best OLman available here instead.
- While not a top priority need like TE, WR, DE & OT, all of which have been addressed earlier, LB is still a position that could use an infusion of quality youthful depth, and Cam Smith is one of the best available at 239. He should be able to help on STs also.
- I still want to double-dip at TE, and Mack seems the best available at 243, though he offers nothing in the running game.
- Russell & Gustin seem as good a way as any to complete the draft, double-dip at DE, and bring legit competition for DT.

The Draft Network

32: Dexter Lawrence

One of my top choices for 32. He might not be Big Vince, but ‘Big Dex’ (TM - me) could be the next best thing. In time.

56: Zach Allen

Versatile and an excellent run stopper and an every down defensive player.

64: Dawson Knox

My TE3 simply because he has the ideal size/athleticism to be a genuine no1 Y TE in the NFL.

73: Terry Mclaurin

I love the depth and range at WR in this draft so I chose not to bite too early at the position. I doubt there’s any more guarantee that a WR picked in the 1st to 2nd range will be successful with the Pats as one picked in the 3rd to 4th range. McLaurin is a great fit for us and has had as good a pre-draft process as anyone. Boykin was in the running for this spot but if Josh Gordon returns, I prefer the speed of McLaurin

97: Tytus Howard

Swing tackle with intriguing upside. This year’s Antonio Garcia?

101: Stanley Morgan Jnr

Really like his fit for the Pats as someone who can play inside and out. Obviously his 3-cone helps with his projection as a Pat draft pick but he reminds me of the Troy Brown/Deion Branch era of Patriots WR. In fact, David Givens is one of his Mockdraftable comps. And Adam Humphries is his NFL.com comp.

134: Jalen Hurd

3 WRs might be excessive but Hurd really intrigued me and I believe, has loads of upside albeit with a low floor. He could be our Cordarelle Patterson. Heck, put another 10 pounds on him and he has the makings of a quality move-TE.

205 - Trevon Wesco

Love his blocking. Battles Izzo for a roster spot in camp to replace Dwayne Allen

239 - Lamont Gaillard

I think the 7th round is a good spot to find smart leadership guys to challenge for back of the roster spots. Gaillard fits nicely.

243 - Khari Willis

As does Willis.

246 - Tre Lamar

Ditto :)

252 - Saquan Hampton

Safety is a position that will need to be addressed significantly in the next year or two. Willis and Hampton may not be the eventual future at the position, but with 4 7th round picks, there’s no harm in taking a run at getting prospects in early (and cheaply) as a potential head start.

Last edited:
I think Hurd has as much raw upside as anyone in the draft.

Agree, I'm not even sure where he could play. He's 6'5 225lbs! I'm not sure if he has the speed of Patterson but he could replicate what he has done. You could line him up as a TE/WR/RB. Could become a nightmare for Defences

Agree, I'm not even sure where he could play. He's 6'5 225lbs! I'm not sure if he has the speed of Patterson but he could replicate what he has done. You could line him up as a TE/WR/RB. Could become a nightmare for Defences

He had a reputation as being a 4.4 guy at Tennessee. I must admit though, putting q0-15 pounds on him and turning him into a move TE really appeals. In that respect he’d be a lot like Hernandez who even lined up as RB on occasion and clearly Hurd could already do that. Would need to become a better blocker though. Finally, my favourite thing about Hurd is the way he attacks the ball in the air and catches with his hands. That’s a skill you don’t always see.

He had a reputation as being a 4.4 guy at Tennessee. I must admit though, putting q0-15 pounds on him and turning him into a move TE really appeals. In that respect he’d be a lot like Hernandez who even lined up as RB on occasion and clearly Hurd could already do that. Would need to become a better blocker though. Finally, my favourite thing about Hurd is the way he attacks the ball in the air and catches with his hands. That’s a skill you don’t always see.

He's a pure mismatch nightmare i feel. Agree with the weight gain, he has the frame for it at 6'5. His blocking does need to improve, but that might come with a NFL team showing him the best way to use his size against others.

The Draft Network

32: Dexter Lawrence

One of my top choices for 32. He might not be Big Vince, but ‘Big Dex’ (TM - me) could be the next best thing. In time.

56: Zach Allen

Versatile and an excellent run stopper and an every down defensive player.

64: Dawson Knox

My TE3 simply because he has the ideal size/athleticism to be a genuine no1 Y TE in the NFL.

73: Terry Mclaurin

I love the depth and range at WR in this draft so I chose not to bite too early at the position. I doubt there’s any more guarantee that a WR picked in the 1st to 2nd range will be successful with the Pats as one picked in the 3rd to 4th range. McLaurin is a great fit for us and has had as good a pre-draft process as anyone. Boykin was in the running for this spot but if Josh Gordon returns, I prefer the speed of McLaurin

97: Tytus Howard

Swing tackle with intriguing upside. This year’s Antonio Garcia?

101: Stanley Morgan Jnr

Really like his fit for the Pats as someone who can play inside and out. Obviously his 3-cone helps with his projection as a Pat draft pick but he reminds me of the Troy Brown/Deion Branch era of Patriots WR. In fact, David Givens is one of his Mockdraftable comps. And Adam Humphries is his NFL.com comp.

134: Jalen Hurd

3 WRs might be excessive but Hurd really intrigued me and I believe, has loads of upside albeit with a low floor. He could be our Cordarelle Patterson. Heck, put another 10 pounds on him and he has the makings of a quality move-TE.

205 - Trevon Wesco

Love his blocking. Battles Izzo for a roster spot in camp to replace Dwayne Allen

239 - Lamont Gaillard

I think the 7th round is a good spot to find smart leadership guys to challenge for back of the roster spots. Gaillard fits nicely.

243 - Khari Willis

As does Willis.

246 - Tre Lamar

Ditto :)

252 - Saquon Hampton

Safety is a position that will need to be addressed significantly in the next year or two. Willis and Hampton may not be the eventual future at the position, but with 4 7th round picks, there’s no harm in taking a run at getting prospects in early (and cheaply) as a potential head start.

Head over heels. Where do I sign up?

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 32: Rapp, Taylor, SS/FS

Why? S will soon be a need. Depth behind Chung is 0 and DMac is on his last year deal. If Dmac is gone Chung, Harmon, 1 yr Rapp + rookie will make transition smooth.

Round 2 Pick 24: Bradbury, Garrett, C/OG

Why? Can play any position IOL.

Thuney and Andrews soon will be FA. Garrett can be the next man up on both C/LG.

On 2020 the line could be: Wynn - Bradburry - Andrews - Mason - Cannon

On 2021 the line could be: Rookie - Wynn - Bradburry - Mason - Cannon

Round 2 Pick 32: Campbell, Parris, WR

We need a WR2 and he can return kicks as well.

Round 3 Pick 9: Nelson, Anthony, DE

Flower's repleacement. Has all tools to replicate Flowers role on D.

Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Tauaefa, Josiah, ILB/OLB

KVN and Flowers are FA next year.

Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Oliver, Josh, TE

Why? Not sold on sell the farm for any TE this draft. We need a TE1

Round 4 Pick 32: Sills V, David, WR

Why? With Parris we have one WR signed for next year. We need to get young and better. Sills is a TD machine.

Round 6 Pick 32 (COMP): Rypien, Brett, QB

Why? I like Grier but we need the premium picks on players that will see playing time. Brett is a good prospect with all traits that Pats like. He can make the 53 and is much better than Etling. Next year we grab another QB when Hoyer leaves a spot.

Round 7 Pick 25: Brown, Keenan, TE

Why? My binkie. PFF has graded him the 2nd best TE in college football. I would love to pick Wesco too.

Round 7 Pick 29: Barton, Jackson, OT

Why? Swing tackle. Very good combine numbers and size. Can develop on a nice RT.

Round 7 Pick 32: Love, Bryce, RB

Why? We have a lot of depth, we can gamble on his healthy. He is a very good player if he can stay on the fiel.

Round 7 Pick 38 (COMP): Bunting, Sean, CB

Why? Very good combine numbers and size. Can fight for a spot with Crossen. I think Crossen is only a ST player, he can be both.

Your Picks:

Why? S will soon be a need. Depth behind Chung is 0 and DMac is on his last year deal. If Dmac is gone Chung, Harmon, 1 yr Rapp + rookie will make transition smooth.

Thuney and Andrews soon will be FA. Garrett can be the next man up on both C/LG.

Why? With Parris we have one WR signed for next year. We need to get young and better. Sills is a TD machine.

Why? I like Grier but we need the premium picks on players that will see playing time. Brett is a good prospect with all traits that Pats like. He can make the 53 and is much better than Etling. Next year we grab another QB when Hoyer leaves a spot.

Why? My binkie. PFF has graded him the 2nd best TE in college football. I would love to pick Wesco too.

Why? Swing tackle. Very good combine numbers and size. Can develop on a nice RT.

Why? We have a lot of depth, we can gamble on his healthy. He is a very good player if he can stay on the fiel.

Why? Very good combine numbers and size. Can fight for a spot with Crossen. I think Crossen is only a ST player, he can be both.

If you swap Bradbury and Rapp, that would make more sense in terms of where they’re likely to go. Bunting is being talked about as a potential top 50 pick. A brave choice to go safety and interior OL with the first two picks considering our other needs but I wouldn’t rule it out completely. Those are two good prospects you picked that I think BB would love to have.

FANSPEAK

32: R1P3 TE TJ HOCKENSON IOWA
56: R2P24 WR DK METCALF OLE MISS
64: R2P32 EDGE ZACH ALLEN BOSTON COLLEGE
73: R3P9 DL KHALEN SAUNDERS WESTERN ILLINOIS
97: R3P33 OT BOBBY EVANS OKLAHOMA
101: R3P37 WR STANLEY MORGAN NEBRASKA
134: R4P32 S DARNELL SAVAGE JR MARYLAND
205: R6P32 QB BRETT RYPIEN BOISE STATE
239: R7P25 CB MARK FIELDS CLEMSON
243: R7P29 RB TONY POLLARD MEMPHIS
246: R7P32 LB TY SUMMERS TCU
252: R7P38 DL ARMON WATTS ARKANSAS

Your Picks:

I like Taylor Rapp and don't disagree that he's worthy of 32, just that he's not what we need at 32.
I would wait to grab a Safety with one 56/64/73.

Same with Bradbury at 56. We need a starting-caliber Offensive Tackle, not C/G, ASAP.

Josiah Tauaefa at 97 is flat-out terrible, from both a talent and a need perspective.

And I'm not sure that Sean Bunting makes it all the way to the 3rd-from-last pick in the draft.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back