PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 Mock Drafts

Post-Gronk-Retirement, 7-round mock with FanSpeak, using DraftPlex' big board, user-voted team needs & Difficult algorithm:

2019 NFL Mock Draft via Fanspeak's On the Clock Mock Draft Simulator

If ever there was a year that Bill drafts a WR in the first round, this could be that year. At minimum, Deebo Samuel assumes the snaps of The CP Experiment...

...Besides, all of the top 6 DEs were taken by 32, so I feel a lot better taking Jaylon Ferguson at 56 than I would've felt at 32.

I was tempted to choose QB Ryan Finley at 134 but decided instead to gamble on the high-ceiling, small-school CB Corey Ballentine...I'm also gambling that SD State TE Kahale Warring is the next Russ Francis.

Naturally, many of these players will be drafted earlier than I was able to draft them here, but hey a fella can dream, can't he?

EDIT: Sorry I thought the results, and not just a link, would show in the post...I wonder if FanSpeak has removed that option...or is it just me...

Deebo/McLaurin might be my favourite WR combo for us in this draft. My only critique would be that I think DT is a bigger need than DE but I still like the mock.

Deebo/McLaurin might be my favourite WR combo for us in this draft. My only critique would be that I think DT is a bigger need than DE but I still like the mock.

I agree with this. Deebo and McLaurin seem to be the most ready to step in and contribute in the Patriots offense. If Fant drops to them they could move up in the 2nd for Samuel and then use a 3rd or possibly 4th for McLaurin. And if Fant isn’t there they could drop down a little from #32 and try to get both Irv Smith and Samuel in the 2nd.

I agree with this. Deebo and McLaurin seem to be the most ready to step in and contribute in the Patriots offense. If Fant drops to them they could move up in the 2nd for Samuel and then use a 3rd or possibly 4th for McLaurin. And if Fant isn’t there they could drop down a little from #32 and try to get both Irv Smith and Samuel in the 2nd.

Smith doesn’t excite me, but I can see a starter potential guy, albeit not an especially strong starter. Would need to be complimented by an inline guy as I’m not sure 6’2” is ideal for a TE to play too many snaps inline.

Smith doesn’t excite me, but I can see a starter potential guy, albeit not an especially strong starter. Would need to be complimented by an inline guy as I’m not sure 6’2” is ideal for a TE to play too many snaps inline.

Agree they would have to find an inline TE, but Smith would at least give them an H-Back receiving option.

1. Johnathan ABRAMS safety.
2a. Dalton RISNER. OT
2b. LJ COLLIER DE

3a. Terry MACLAURIN WR
3b. Sean BUNTING CB
3c. Andy ISABELLA WR

4a. Foster MOREAU TE
6. Kaden SMITH TE

7. Chris SLAYTON DT
7b. Tre PIPKINS OT

Schiano stepped on bb’s trap door in bb’s office and is out.

I actually saw a mock at CBS yesterday that had McLaurin going in the first round.

Not for me. Four down smart player with sharp routes, great work ethic, and top end speed? That qualifies as an instant starter at a position of need in my book, which means anywhere in the first two rounds is fine by my scale.

Makes me feel better about him if he has your endorsement. But I’d have liked more production out of a first round WR. I suppose I’m arguing against my track record as an advocate for Ziggy Ansah, Jimmie Ward and Terron Armstead, But I’m A little bit cautious about prospects that make late jumps into the first round stratosphere. But then I did argue for those guys so maybe I need to be consistent. I love his traits. I’d have liked a better 3cone to be really on board I suppose. But screw it, I’m in. It just means I’d be losing my dream of A Deebo/McLaurin 1-2 punch.

Agree completely, he started out Day 3 and I was hoping mid to late 3rd would get it done. I wouldn’t go 2nd round.

Late 2nd for me but I could warm to him higher.

Makes me feel better about him if he has your endorsement. But I’d have liked more production out of a first round WR. I suppose I’m arguing against my track record as an advocate for Ziggy Ansah, Jimmie Ward and Terron Armstead, But I’m A little bit cautious about prospects that make late jumps into the first round stratosphere. But then I did argue for those guys so maybe I need to be consistent. I love his traits. I’d have liked a better 3cone to be really on board I suppose. But screw it, I’m in. It just means I’d be losing my dream of A Deebo/McLaurin 1-2 punch.

Agree completely, he started out Day 3 and I was hoping mid to late 3rd would get it done. I wouldn’t go 2nd round.

I totally hear where y'all are coming from, and that makes sense from a normal grading scale. I don't really care about rounds except to determine market value, though -- I care about the readiness of a player to start or take on an early role. McLaurin looks like an instant starter as a Z receiver (basically Edelman's role) who can play slot or outside/in motion. I don't know if we're looking for an X, though (like Gordon) earlier in the draft. They may not value Z as highly, or they might hope to get someone like him in the 2nd, but I think he has a clear path to starting.

I love watching his routes. Clean, quick, show good understanding of leverage. Me like.

I totally hear where y'all are coming from, and that makes sense from a normal grading scale. I don't really care about rounds except to determine market value, though -- I care about the readiness of a player to start or take on an early role. McLaurin looks like an instant starter as a Z receiver (basically Edelman's role) who can play slot or outside/in motion. I don't know if we're looking for an X, though (like Gordon) earlier in the draft. They may not value Z as highly, or they might hope to get someone like him in the 2nd, but I think he has a clear path to starting.

I love watching his routes. Clean, quick, shows good understanding of leverage. Me like.

Me like too. I’m just not convinced he’s a WR1 type. Do you see him as someone who makes 3-4 receptions per game or 8 per game? I think he’s more a shock weapon with his speed rather than a RZ and chain moving weapon. I like Deebo more I think but as I said, Deebo/Mclaurin is my perfect WR draft.

Me like too. I’m just not convinced he’s a WR1 type. Do you see him as someone who makes 3-4 receptions per game or 8 per game? I think he’s more a shock weapon with his speed rather than a RZ and chain moving weapon. I like Deebo more I think but as I said, Deebo/Mclaurin is my perfect WR draft.

I think he can be either. Ohio State used their various receivers in different roles because they had that luxury (like how AJ Brown played big slot for Ole Miss, but he can certainly play anywhere), but McLaurin showed a high level of attention to detail in his routes regardless of where they deployed him. The Senior Bowl and his pro day showed that he can certainly run the full tree, at least to my satisfaction.

I also love that he can outrun leverage through craftiness and speed. If I get more caught up at work, then I'll take a break to cut some gifs of examples of what I mean. Basically, I'd see a corner play outside leverage, McLaurin take an inside release, and then shake the defender with a move and beat him back to the outside of the field (or vice versa, winning inside against inside leverage). That's not very common to see in route runners at the college level.

Having now mostly finished WRs, I'm all in on AJ Brown at 32. I'd then complement it with someone in the 3/4 round. I like the idea of Mecole Hardman a lot.

Think I'm also going to be mocking Charles Omenihu and one of Knox/Warring/Sternberger to the Pats a lot too.

First mock

32.) trade to the giants for 37 and 108.
37.) defensive tackle Simmons miss state. This is a Gift for bb. Superior talent, he led the best defense in the sec, and falls due to injury concern.
56.) strong safety abrams miss state. Tremendous enforcer who reminds me of Rodney Harrison. He will blanket tight ends and receivers on crossing routes.
64.) trade to Arizona for qb Rosen.
73.) tight end sternburger Texas A&M. Second best deep seam route runner in this draft. Averaged 17 yards per catch in the sec.
97.) wide receiver Isabella UMass. Not a slot guy, but with his electric speed, he will excel in the hogan role.
101.) defensive end walker Georgia. Typical bb pick. Walker can set the edge, rush the passer and occasionally drops into coverage.
108.) running back hill Oklahoma state. Teams with Michel to give us a youthful deadly duo.
134.) wide receiver McLaurin Ohio state. Superior gunner on special teams which bb will love. Plus anything we get in the passing game is a bonus.
205.) offensive tackle Hyatt Clemson. Tons of big game experience and is a superior pass protector. Needs to get bigger and stronger but will thrive with our pro coaching.
239.) wide receiver Hardman Georgia. Best slot receiver in this draft, but denied a lot of chances at Georgia due to all the talent around him.
243.) cornerback smith Alabama. Superior special teams demon and anything we get out of him in the base defense is a plus.
246.) tight end Wesco West Virginia. More of a quasi fullback/tight end. Has to beat out hollister.
252.) defensive tackle watts Arkansas. Gift for bielma,

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back