PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 Mock Drafts

View attachment 23011

Latest Mock I’ve done..

Jalen Hurd - Ex RB that’s gone to WR. His tape is very interesting.
Hurd=Cordarelle Patterson as far as being able to run out of the backfield, as well as play WR. Would be an interesting weapon for McDaniels. Really love this draft, favorite mock I’ve seen so far. Fills a lot of holes we have.

I like Taylor Rapp and don't disagree that he's worthy of 32, just that he's not what we need at 32. I would wait to grab a Safety with one 56/64/73.

Same with Bradbury at 56. We need a starting-caliber Offensive Tackle, not C/G, ASAP.

Josiah Tauaefa at 97 is flat-out terrible, from both a talent and a need perspective.

And I'm not sure that Sean Bunting makes it all the way to the 3rd-from-last pick in the draft.

I guess it depends on the long term plans of Chung and Thuney. They don’t appear to be needs now, but our safety group is old in general (an unproven Obi notwithstanding) and Thuney is a free agent after next season. I don’t expect those positions to be our first picks but wouldn’t be surprised if they were.

Hurd=Cordarelle Patterson as far as being able to run out of the backfield, as well as play WR. Would be an interesting weapon for McDaniels. Really love this draft, favorite mock I’ve seen so far. Fills a lot of holes we have.

Agree with the Patterson connection. I wish I had some numbers for his 40” time but haven’t been able to find it but I know @manxman2601 said he was around the 4.4 so would put him in the same area as Patterson.

I think he will be better receiver than Patterson, his head and shoulder movement in routes is very impressive for someone whose still learning. The other thing is he could easily play as a move TE if he packs on 10-15lbs which he can do as he has the frame but his blocking does need to improve no matter where he plays.

I’d of liked to have more defensive guys but the value just wasn’t there for me to justify selecting some guys over others.

I like Taylor Rapp and don't disagree that he's worthy of 32, just that he's not what we need at 32.
I would wait to grab a Safety with one 56/64/73.

Same with Bradbury at 56. We need a starting-caliber Offensive Tackle, not C/G, ASAP.

Josiah Tauaefa at 97 is flat-out terrible, from both a talent and a need perspective.

And I'm not sure that Sean Bunting makes it all the way to the 3rd-from-last pick in the draft.

Taylor was the BPA at 32. I would like to pick a WR/TE there but i won't reach for Irv if there are a lot of good prospects on day 2/3.

Gradburry is the best insurance we could get. I would like a T too but he is better than any tackle that was there at 56.

Josiah Tauaefa is rising on a lot of boards. And i disagree we have 4 LBs and 2 of them are FA next year, but they could grab a T there i would not mind. Others were ther: Pratt, Coney ... I like Joey Alfieri a lot and he is a late round prospect. If we extend KVN before the draft i would not pick a LB too.

And I'm not sure that Sean Bunting makes it all the way to the 3rd-from-last pick in the draft. I remember a lot of guys that won't make it untill they do. Louis Nix III was a first round talent on all mocks and almost went round 4. If he is not there ok. but after round 3/4 all can happen.

I want to be realistic too i would not pick Hock at 32 or a first round grade WR at 56.

Agree with the Patterson connection. I wish I had some numbers for his 40” time but haven’t been able to find it but I know @manxman2601 said he was around the 4.4 so would put him in the same area as Patterson.

I think he will be better receiver than Patterson, his head and shoulder movement in routes is very impressive for someone whose still learning. The other thing is he could easily play as a move TE if he packs on 10-15lbs which he can do as he has the frame but his blocking does need to improve no matter where he plays.

I’d of liked to have more defensive guys but the value just wasn’t there for me to justify selecting some guys over others.
I just think Hurd is a really interesting weapon. He doesn't look like a WR when he's running out of the backfield, he just looks very natural, like Patterson did, and like Ty Montgomery did with the Packers. Yet, when he's lined up as a WR, he really looks the part with good route running and really good hands, and with his size, he'd be an excellent red zone target as both a receiver AND RB. I can imagine McDaniels would love this kid.

We could also look at Parris Campbell earlier, who could do similar things.

I just think Hurd is a really interesting weapon. He doesn't look like a WR when he's running out of the backfield, he just looks very natural, like Patterson did, and like Ty Montgomery did with the Packers. Yet, when he's lined up as a WR, he really looks the part with good route running and really good hands, and with his size, he'd be an excellent red zone target as both a receiver AND RB. I can imagine McDaniels would love this kid.

We could also look at Parris Campbell earlier, who could do similar things.

I wonder how they would feel about him essentially quitting on his team at Tennessee. I know it's more complicated than that, and he's probably grown up since then, but at the time it was looked at by many as a sign of immaturity and thin skin. I don't know him, so I don't want to be irresponsible and fling around accusations, but if there's any truth to that then I'd suspect he wouldn't be a fit for the Patriots overall culture. Otherwise, I love his skillset and physical profile. He's the kind of guy you gamble on and hope he can give you touches in multiple facets of the game. Intriguing, ascending player.

I wonder how they would feel about him essentially quitting on his team at Tennessee. I know it's more complicated than that, and he's probably grown up since then, but at the time it was looked at by many as a sign of immaturity and thin skin. I don't know him, so I don't want to be irresponsible and fling around accusations, but if there's any truth to that then I'd suspect he wouldn't be a fit for the Patriots overall culture. Otherwise, I love his skillset and physical profile. He's the kind of guy you gamble on and hope he can give you touches in multiple facets of the game. Intriguing, ascending player.

Just done some quick research on him, doesn't seem like he quit on them but he got fed up with how he was being used and started to suffer more concussions at RB and felt he could play WR but was rejected. There's a lot of articles out there that explain a lot about his situation

Jalen Hurd reveals the real reason he left the Vols

Screenshot 2019-04-01 at 18.06.40.png Screenshot 2019-04-01 at 18.07.02.png

So this is the latest mock i've done so far -

The first 5 picks don't need an explanation.

Khalen Saunders - NT with the possibility of becoming a three down player, but offers value straight away.

Miles Boykin - Unbelievable athlete. Would give us an Outside guy which could burn guys deep.

Evan Worthington is vastly underrated in my opinion has great Size and Speed. Does seem to have a slight issues with concussions though. His work rate may be an issue but that's the only character issue i've found so far.

TJ Edwards - Value was great and he can make a role out in the future, more athletic than Elandon Roberts.

The last two guys are just BPA at the time.

Sure, that's his side of the story. :)

FWIW, Lance Zierlein seems very bullish on his character

‘He's still learning the nuances of the position, but he has outstanding traits, a great work ethic and an ability to get much better very quickly.”

I have to say, my biggest disappointment with Hurd was his blocking effort, especially as I like him as an AHern type move TE in the future.

Two FanSpeak 7-round mocks with Difficult algorithm, using its own Composite big board & FanSpeak Steve's team needs.

The first, after drafting a WR at 32:
2019 NFL Mock Draft via Fanspeak's On the Clock Mock Draft Simulator
32: R1P32 - WR A.J. BROWN, OLE MISS

56: R2P24 - DE CHARLES OMENIHU, TEXAS

64: R2P32 - TE DAWSON KNOX, OLE MISS

73: R3P9 - DB JUAN THORNHILL VIRGINIA

97: R3P33 - OL MICHAEL JORDAN, OHIO ST

101: R3P37 - DT KHALEN SAUNDERS, W. ILLINOIS

134: R4P32 - TE KAHALE WARRING, SAN DIEGO ST

205: R6P32 - EDGE MAXX CROSBY, E. MICHIGAN

239: R7P25 - WR TRAVIS FULGHAM, OLD DOMINION

243: R7P29 - S EVAN WORTHINGTON, COLORADO

246: R7P32 - OL TYLER JONES, NC STATE

252: R7P38 - LB CODY BARTON, UTAH

The second, after drafting a DT at 32:
2019 NFL Mock Draft via Fanspeak's On the Clock Mock Draft Simulator
32: R1P32 - DT DEXTER LAWRENCE, CLEMSON

56: R2P24 - TE DAWSON KNOX, OLE MISS

64: R2P32 - DE JOE JACKSON, MIAMI (FLA)

73: R3P9 - WR TERRY MCLAURIN, OHIO ST

97: R3P33 - OT BOBBY EVANS, OKLAHOMA

101: R3P37 - S AMANI HOOKER, IOWA

134: R4P32 - TE KAHALE WARRING, SAN DIEGO ST

205: R6P32 - CB JAMEL DEAN, AUBURN

239: R7P25 - WR TRAVIS FULGHAM, OLD DOMINION

243: R7P29 - EDGE JAMAL DAVIS II, AKRON

246: R7P32 - OL TYLER JONES, NC STATE

252: R7P38 - S EVAN WORTHINGTON, COLORADO

A couple of observations:
- If you want a starting-caliber DT, either grab him at 32 or hope that Khalen Saunders lasts into the 3rd round...not sure I like anybody else in between them...any suggestions?
- A decent WR/TE/DE combination should be available to us at 56/64/73;
- I'll be praying that either Mike Jordan or Bobby Evans is still available at 97...I doubt it happens, unfortunately;
- Just as I doubt that Kahale Warring lasts until 134...if he doesn't, I'll probably wait until 205 to double-dip at TE;
- And finally, there should be some bargains at LB & WR all the way into the 7th round.

- If you want a starting-caliber DT, either grab him at 32 or hope that Khalen Saunders lasts into the 3rd round...not sure I like anybody else in between them...any suggestions?

Yup, this is how I feel right now, too. I can't recall the last time I saw so much consensus among mocks here on PatsFans. That probably means we're all going to scratch our heads . . .

Yup, this is how I feel right now, too. I can't recall the last time I saw so much consensus among mocks here on PatsFans. That probably means we're all going to scratch our heads . . .

Yes, I got a feeling bb’s draft board is completely different than we would expect.

Interesting First round mock from Phil Perry at NBCsports. Has the Pats trading with Seattle (which makes a ton of sense since Seattle only has 4 picks) and moving up to #21 and getting Hockenson. Picks 32 & 73 for 21. point value is 815 vs 800. It can also be argued that picks 56,64,97 & 101 has same value, 818. Although giving up 4 picks for 1 is alot, but it would keep us with # 32 for a top WR or DT Lawrence.

Phil Perry's NFL Mock Draft 4.0

Interesting First round mock from Phil Perry at NBCsports. Has the Pats trading with Seattle (which makes a ton of sense since Seattle only has 4 picks) and moving up to #21 and getting Hockenson. Picks 32 & 73 for 21. point value is 815 vs 800. It can also be argued that picks 56,64,97 & 101 has same value, 818. Although giving up 4 picks for 1 is alot, but it would keep us with # 32 for a top WR or DT Lawrence.

We also get their fifth rounder back in that trade scenario.

32 & 73 for Hockenson & 159? Sign me up! I might even offer to throw in one of our 3 late 7ths for a 2020 7th if Seattle is holding us hostage and the clock is ticking...

32 & 73 for Hockenson & 159? Sign me up! I might even offer to throw in one of our 3 late 7ths for a 2020 7th if Seattle is holding us hostage and the clock is ticking...

Agreed. I’d be all over that.

It can also be argued that picks 56,64,97 & 101 has same value, 818.

Given the needs the Pats have, and Belichick's general draft strategy, I can't imagine them doing this.

And what would he do with that 5? :p

Rather like how this one sorted itself out

32. AJ Brown, WR, Ole Miss
56. Kaleb Mcgary, OL, Washington
64. Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss
73. Zach Allen, DL, Boston College
97. Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois
101. Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State
134. Trevon Wesco, TE, W Virginia
205. Hunter Renfrow, WR, Clemson
239. Khari Willis, S, Michigan St.
243. Lamont Gaillard, OL, Georgia
246. Tre Lamar, LB, Clemson
252. Iman Marshall, DB, USC

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back