PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 TC . D1: What are you looking at/for?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

what position/s are keeping you up at night most?

• QB

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • RB

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • WR

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • TE

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • OL

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • DL

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • LB

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • S

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • CB

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • ST

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
1. Most intrigued how OL plays out. Dante likes to put players in their definite spots early. Cannon is reportedly ready to go and while Thuney was not put on PUP Id expect his participation will be somewhat limited at the start. Going by minicamp that would make Brown-Wynn-Andrews-Mason-Cannon starting line up but with Thuney gradually coming back it will be intriguing to see what happens at left side of the line.

2. Second intriguing thing would be to see how D shapes up under Flores. Last yr it was a lot of LB play (Sam&Will) on the line early and then throughout preseason . and then a lot of search for slot defending in subs (unsuccessful till the bitter end). Drafting Dawson would suggest going back to small/regular nickel (and minicamp already showed that). The other thing to watch will be if anything changes to D depth charts early due to possible Flores preferences compared to MP.

This was the starting D in minicamp:
Clayborn-Guy-Shelton-T.Flowers // High - Roberts // D-Mac - Chung - Dawson - Gilmore - JC Jackson

It will be interesting to see how LB play shapes up . some (incl. PFF and myself fwiw) expect commanding presence of Bentley early. He had some solid plays in coverage (for his stature) as well in minicamp. He could be bad news for Roberts. There will be fierce battle for SAM/backup/situational/ST spots between M.Flowers, Langi, Grigsby and Sam.

DB battle will be very intriguing early especially who takes the front runner role opposite Gilmore . J-Mac was a healthy spectator during OTAs and minicamp, Rowe continued to struggle while new guys like R.Lewis, Crossen and esp. JC Jackson in minicamp showed some serious potential that could make both Jones' come backs even more difficult esp. if the new boys show up at ST early as well.

So what are you looking at/for most?

Last edited:
So what are you looking at most?

In no specific order..

I am very curious about the WR battle because that one will be the easiest to judge based on reports as opposed to other highly competitive positions that often involve more subtlety. Particularly I am interested in Dorsett and if he can break through and give us 80% of Cooks. Similarly, I am very intrigued if BB and Josh can actually make a true NFL player out of Corderelle.

I hope to hear positive news about Danny Shelton because Branch preferring to be a starter at Panda Express instead of in the trenches is what really screwed the defense last year. Similarly, excited to see where Derek Rivers is and hope that Clayborn has more in the tank than Harris last year.

I hope the young LBs show up and we can wave goodbye to Elandon Roberts.

I hope our DB group is strong enough so we can wave goodbye to Jordan Richards.

And I am sure there is a lot more.. but those are the ones that come to mind.

(F) None of the above, there are enough things to keep me awake at night besides what happens in TC.

What I do wonder is what will be the impact of a new "de facto" D coordinator, Brian Flores who we have not seen in a Coordinator spot seems to have been coveted by other teams in the off season for HC position... not sure if that was because of the Rooney rule or because of yet unseen talent.

Also wonder if Danny Ettling will be the next Jimmy G...

Locked in on Rivers and Clayborn for now. The LB and DB battles also intrigue me. I'm just happy football is back!

Forgot to mention: how quickly will Sony earn lead back responsibility? I think he'll win rookie of the year if he earns snaps. Electric talent.

Last edited:
Terrified of our future at QB

Nervous about our situation at LT until someone steps up in camp to prove themselves

Nervous about our CB2

Terrified of our linebacker depth

Nervous about our DE depth

Nervous about our WRs and their ability to be on the same page with Brady in this complex offense

Not sure anything will keep me up at night, but I chose WR, OL, and CB:

WR - This has the most immediate impact on the season, because (until Edelman comes back) we only have one known commodity who we've seen make regular contributions: Hogan. Mitchell would be in the same category if we had any confidence in his health, but we can't at this time. Guys like Dorsett and Britt have some experience from last year, but neither was a regular part of the receiving game. Newcomers Patterson and Matthews may contribute (my bets on Matthews more than Patterson, at least on offense), but new WR's are hard to predict on this team. Big questions here, but also a number of options when you throw in the young guys. I'd be surprised if NO ONE stepped up, but I'll be damned if I can predict who.

OL - This one I have a lot of confidence in, just because of everyone involved: Dante is the best in the biz, Belichick will be involved I'm sure, Josh is good at drafting schemes to utilize the strengths of whoever is out there, and Brady helps any o-line with his pre-snap reads and quick decisions. That said, LT and LG are wide open at this point (with Thuney having the inside track at LG, but nothing guaranteed).

CB - After Gilmore, I feel like we have a wide open competition, but also a good mix of guys to fill the spots. I would feel better if Cyrus and Jonathan Jones were healthy and there to compete (hopefully soon), not because I'm super high on either of them, but the more options we have to work with, the better chance we'll end up with a solid 5-deep crew. McCourty and Rowe offer some veteran competition, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the rookies won the 2nd outside spot or the slot CB, if not for game 1 then for later on in the season.

Terrified of our future at QB

Nervous about our situation at LT until someone steps up in camp to prove themselves

Nervous about our CB2

Terrified of our linebacker depth

Nervous about our DE depth

Nervous about our WRs and their ability to be on the same page with Brady in this complex offense
Not nervous about Gonk and the sharks? Nerves of steel.

WR

Is Britt really all that"
Will Dorsett make the team?
Will Mathews and Patterson be able to earn Bradys trust and learn the Pats complex offense?
Malcolm Mitchell?
Berrios, Lucien, Mcarron maybe a diamond in the rough in there?

Locked in on Rivers and Clayborn for now. The LB and DB battles also intrigue me. I'm just happy football is back!

Forgot to mention: how quickly will Sony earn lead back responsibility? I think he'll win rookie of the year if he train snaps. Electric talent.

I was going to mention Rivers. I'm very interested to see where they have him lining up. DE/OLB?

Linebacker is #1 on my list. Hightower's durability is a major question and the Patriots need five above average LBs to overcome the weaknesses we saw in the SB. It's possible that this is a strong grouping if Van Noy, Roberts and Flowers continue to develop. I'm very interested to see if either of the rookies have coverage skills at this level. Playing against a host of big TEs in drills is a good test for them. People are down on Roberts, but he's only 24 and should develop. He's got lots of competition and needs to show his football aptitude in this camp.

I'm also interested in there being enough at the positions to knock both Roberts and Glitch off the roster.

Running back is interesting to me. Obviously they can’t keep all of the backs they have now, and some veterans will be cut. I think Michel, White & Burkhead are locks, so the battle between Gillislee, Hill and Bolden will be interesting. I really think Hill could be a good player for the Pats. He has had some good seasons, and could be a power back for the Pats. Haven’t had a true power back since Blount left, though Michel runs with some power.

I’m routing for Hill to beat out Gillislee.

At WR, I think we will have Edelman (suspended 4 games), Hogan, Matthews, Britt, Patterson and Dorsett. Berrios would have to have a HUGE camp to make it. But he is a good punt returner. I’m hoping he makes it to the practice squad.

Running back is interesting to me. Obviously they can’t keep all of the backs they have now, and some veterans will be cut. I think Michel, White & Burkhead are locks, so the battle between Gillislee, Hill and Bolden will be interesting. I really think Hill could be a good player for the Pats. He has had some good seasons, and could be a power back for the Pats. Haven’t had a true power back since Blount left, though Michel runs with some power.

I’m routing for Hill to beat out Gillislee.

At WR, I think we will have Edelman (suspended 4 games), Hogan, Matthews, Britt, Patterson and Dorsett. Berrios would have to have a HUGE camp to make it. But he is a good punt returner. I’m hoping he makes it to the practice squad.

Berrios won't make it to the PS. Another team would poach him. I think he makes it as a rook due to the value he'll provide as a PR. I think people are going to be surprised at how crisp this kid is in the preseason. He's a smart football player and his routes are precise.

Smfh, people already giving up on the season...

OL and DL.

DL - Shelton, VV

OL - LT?

DB's - Wonder Twin power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore