SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 30th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Knocked Down
Sunday's loss to the Jaguars was a tough blow, but one that will likely make the Patriots better in the coming months.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

2018 Goal Line Back

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Chuck Walden, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Chuck Walden

Chuck Walden On the Roster

Ratings:
    +101
    So I was reading that Burkhead was going to get the first shot at the goal line job, and I wondering what everyone thought about that. He's never really been that guy before, and we have two guys on the roster who have had success in that position before (Gillislee, Hill). Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018

2. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,842
    My thinking is Gillislee and Hill have a battle to make this team. White & Sony are locks Rex and Bolden are highly likely so that leaves maybe 1 spot for Gillislee and Hill. Having 1 of them to fill the power back role makes sense but if one of the other guys can do it then all the better and more versatile.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +19,774
    Training camp is about 3 weeks away and then about a month later we will see. At least give it until after the first preseason game before trying to discuss those things. Otherwise it is totally pointless speculation based on what we saw half a year ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mark Morse

Mark Morse PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +104
    IMO Burkhead, White and Michel are locks. Bolden is a special teams ace and you know how BB loves those guys. Neither Hill nor Gillislee play special teams. I believe they stay with only 4 RBs.

5. Actual Pats Fan

Actual Pats Fan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,276
    I do NOT want it to be Tom Brady

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Chuck Walden

Ratings:
    +101
    I'd put Rex down as a full lock. You don't give a guy a three-year contract for over 3 million per year and have him miss the Week One roster

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,186
    I'm fine with Bolden taking a few reps if someone is injured in a game, or in garbage time. However, I'd want to have another back available the next week, while the injured player recovers.

I would expect us to have only four backs active, at least in some games. So, yes, if Gillislie or Hill would be inactive, then we need to be testing others for the role of short yardage back.

8. TheRainMaker

TheRainMaker Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +945
    This might be the most laughable and incompetent "article" I've read.

First of all, why is the media and people like this so obsessed with who will be the "goal line/power back"? Why does there need to be a "goal line/power back"? They tried this with Gillislee last year and failed miserably. Gillislee was actually doing fine Week 1 until the Pats thought he was Brandon Jacobs and lined him up in obvious goal line formations in the middle of field which resulted in him getting stuffed.

The Pats had more success running the football when they stuck to one to two backs running and catching the football. Giving RB's a particular role like "goal line/power back" will just makes things obvious for a defense to stop. Lewis was a dual threat so defenses had to respect the pass even when they looked like they may run on 3rd and short. With Gillislee in there, they knew it was run the whole way.

And does the author not realize that Burkhead was buried on the depth chart in Cincinnati because of Jeremy Hill and Bernard? Hill was the better back then and will be now if he's healthy. Michel will get a lot of touches and could be a threat in the redzone. Burkhead and White will keep their same roles. Gillislee gets cut only because the Pats are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I predict Hill will be the opening day "starter". It's bizarre people are sleeping on a guy who can run and catch the ball. In every season he's played before he finally shut it down in 2017, he was averaging almost 10 TD's a season. And he said he's been fighting an injury since 2015. But his fumbling in odd times does bother me like what Ridley did during his time with the Pats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  9. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +2,739
    Burkhead was good last year in short yardage, I’m fine with it

• Like Like x 2
  10. UptownPatsFan

UptownPatsFan Standin' Pat

Ratings:
    +8,219
    Finally, somebody respecting Da Burkmeister for a change...:)

11. Chuck Walden

Ratings:
    +101
    Blount offered literally nothing in the passing game, yet he managed to be successful in short yardage situations. Same with Ridley and BJGE before him. Typically we carry one guy as the first and second down back, a pass catching guy, and a hybrid guy. Gillislee was supposed to be that guy last year, and he was good in a similar role with Buffalo. Only reason we used D-Lew as much as we did it because he was phenomenal at everything. We don’t know that’s going to be the case.
    And I would be very surprised to find Hill as the week one starter. He could very well best out Gillislee, but I don’t think he’s better than Michel and Burkhead, especially in this offense. Plus, I have a hard time believing that an injury that’s bothered him since 2015 is 100% better until I see it on the field. If it hampered him for three years, are you really going to believe it’s completely fixed with no signs of damage just because he had surgery less than a year ago?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. RayClay

RayClay Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +11,070
    I'm thinking Brady's niece, since the QB job is taken.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. RayClay

RayClay Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +11,070
    If Michel is as advertised, I don't imagine they will take the ball out of his hands on the goal line. Maybe Hill as a "wear them down" back in the second half if he makes it. Since Gillislee did not prove to be a good short yardage back and Burk is the most versatile, I don't See Gillislee as more than cheap depth, if he is indeed affordable. Not powerful enough, not elusive.

14. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17,183
    I don’t see this as much of an issue. We typically use a RBBC approach, so just about any of the backs can act as a goal line rusher. The production will likely be spread around.

15. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +11,597
    Michel is the main power back, so him...

16. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Josh Gordon's locker is next to Brady's. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37,974
    I don’t think Gilly makes the team, so I’m going with some combination of Hill and Michel.

17. fightingirish595

fightingirish595 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,663
    Agility over power at the goal line. Always.

• Like Like x 1
  18. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17,183
    White had 3 TDs in the regular season last year. Burkhead had 5.

I expect similar numbers with Michel thrown into the mix, although someone like Hill or Gilleslee could step up and prove their worth more in tougher yardage situations. I think they’re more concerned with not putting the ball on the ground, scheme versatility, and pass protection.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,257
    Do not hold out a lot of hope for Gillislee, given a chance last season he seldom played.. even in the Superbowl he was inactive.

Unless they held him back for some unknown reason..

20. sambam94

sambam94 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,598
    don't need one..many times they rush to the line and hand off to whoever is in the game at that time.