PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Goal Line Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blount offered literally nothing in the passing game, yet he managed to be successful in short yardage situations. Same with Ridley and BJGE before him.
The difference was that Blount was the primary ball carrier. He didn’t just come in only on short yardage plays. Gillislee was extremely obvious even after the Kansas City game.

And I would be very surprised to find Hill as the week one starter. He could very well best out Gillislee, but I don’t think he’s better than Michel and Burkhead, especially in this offense. Plus, I have a hard time believing that an injury that’s bothered him since 2015 is 100% better until I see it on the field. If it hampered him for three years, are you really going to believe it’s completely fixed with no signs of damage just because he had surgery less than a year ago?
I have a very hard time believing that you actually think Burkhead is better than Jeremy Hill. In the limited time that Birkhead played last year, he couldn’t stay healthy. The difference between the two is the Jeremy Hill toughed it out and played with his nagging injury. Hill’s injury was not believed to be serious so should be recovered by training camp.

Hill’s style of play is a lot like Stevan Ridley, only Hill can catch the ball out of the backfield.

However, given how running backs in today’s NFL flame out so quickly it wouldn’t shock me if Hill doesn’t have anything left.

So I was reading that Burkhead was going to get the first shot at the goal line job, and I wondering what everyone thought about that. He's never really been that guy before, and we have two guys on the roster who have had success in that position before (Gillislee, Hill). Thoughts?
Goal Line Running Back: New England Patriots Training Camp Battles - Last Word on Pro Football

I think this will be a fascinating camp & role battle.

I do believe BB prefers to have the Larry Csonka-type running backs that can pound the goaline with power. With that said I don't think he is married to that persona.

With that said, if he does want that type RB in the backfield inside the 10 yardline, I think he is quietly pulling for Jeremy Hill to be that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes