PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Free Agency -- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Chubb when I came to read the thread, but then I saw the news about Chubb, and now my Chubb is gone.

For the record, I no longer have a Chubb.

Soooo... the Lions aren't the only ones that are now apparently Chubb-less

Where would the Eagles be pulling this phantom salary cap space from? They're hard up against the limit as it is. They'd have to make some trades or cuts.

They have just over $1M in cap space. Hypothetically, if Upshaw agreed to sign for the veteran minimum, the Eagles net cap charge might be only $100k or so.

Probably only one of their draft picks will count against the cap at this point (Goedert at #49 - net cap hit maybe $600k) - the salaries for the rest (two in the 4th, a 6th and a 7th) probably fall below the Top-51 threshold.

A lot of Nick Saban players don’t live up to the hype in the NFL. Some obviously do (hightower, jones, cooper) but there are a whole bunch that don’t.

It's odd about Upshaw. He did fine his first four season in the Raven's 3-4 as an OLB (183 tackles, 5 sacks, 8 PD, 3 FF). Then the Falcons signed him and played him at DE/interior rusher (?) in their 4-3, and he stunk. I have no idea why TF the Falcons thought that would be a good idea.

Philly's 4-3 is probably not his best landing spot. Maybe Upshaw hooks on with another 3-4 team like WAS, OAK, KC and returns to being productive?
-----

WRT 'Bama draftees in general, using "hype" as a measuring stick is probably a mistake. By that standard, anybody who doesn't become a "star" is automatically a "bust", which leaves out all the guys who end up having solid careers as starters, including most OL.

Out of the 7 guys taken in Rounds 1 & 2 in 2017 - Cam Robinson, Dalvin Tomlinson, Eddie Jackson and Reuben Foster (aside from his off-field crap) seem to have done pretty well so far, and none of the others has stunk.

Before 2017 (1st & 2nd rounders, IOW "the hyped"):

2016 (6): Only Cyrus Jones has been a "bust", so far. Ryan Kelly (OL), Derrick Henry, et al have done pretty well.
2015 (3): Amari Cooper, Landon Collins, TJ Yeldon.
2014 (3): CJ Mosley, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix have been good. Cyrus Kouandijo hasn't been.
... [HINT: Don't draft 'Bama players named Cyrus.].
2013 (4): Dee Milliner was a bust (Jete). Chance Warmack (OL), DJ Fluker (OL), Eddie Lacy have done fine.
2012 (5): Hightower has been the standout. Trent Richardson was a bust. Upshaw might have continued to be good, if he'd signed with another 3-4 team. The other two have had decent careers.
2011 (4): Marcell Dareus, Julio Jones, James Carpenter, Mark Ingram.

2010 (4) was the first graduating class that Saban had recruited after becoming HC of Alabama in 2007. It produced Rolando McClain, Kareem Jackson, Javier Arenas and Terrence Cody (and Andre Smith in the 2009 draft).

WRT 'Bama draftees in general, using "hype" as a measuring stick is probably a mistake. By that standard, anybody who doesn't become a "star" is automatically a "bust", which leaves out all the guys who end up having solid careers as starters, including most OL.

Out of the 7 guys taken in Rounds 1 & 2 in 2017 - Cam Robinson, Dalvin Tomlinson, Eddie Jackson and Reuben Foster (aside from his off-field crap) seem to have done pretty well so far, and none of the others has stunk.

Before 2017 (1st & 2nd rounders, IOW "the hyped"):

2016 (6): Only Cyrus Jones has been a "bust", so far. Ryan Kelly (OL), Derrick Henry, et al have done pretty well.
2015 (3): Amari Cooper, Landon Collins, TJ Yeldon.
2014 (3): CJ Mosley, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix have been good. Cyrus Kouandijo hasn't been.
... [HINT: Don't draft 'Bama players named Cyrus.].
2013 (4): Dee Milliner was a bust (Jete). Chance Warmack (OL), DJ Fluker (OL), Eddie Lacy have done fine.
2012 (5): Hightower has been the standout. Trent Richardson was a bust. Upshaw might have continued to be good, if he'd signed with another 3-4 team. The other two have had decent careers.
2011 (4): Marcell Dareus, Julio Jones, James Carpenter, Mark Ingram.

2010 (4) was the first graduating class that Saban had recruited after becoming HC of Alabama in 2007. It produced Rolando McClain, Kareem Jackson, Javier Arenas and Terrence Cody (and Andre Smith in the 2009 draft).

It seems like very few Bama players become stars in this league despite the fact that many are hyped as first round picks. I’m not denying that most are decent players.

It seems like very few Bama players become stars in this league despite the fact that many are hyped as first round picks. I’m not denying that most are decent players.

The hype isn't Saban's fault, nor the fault of the prospects themselves (mostly). It's just what the media does for a living.

If someone wanted to take the (considerable amount of) time to list all the prospects that have been vigorously hyped as 1st-rounders, sort them by schools, then calculate a "failure to live up to" rate, my guess is that it would be pretty close across the board, percentage-wise.

Saban's players certainly seem to have a higher "FTLUT" rate, but that may be due to the fact that there have been more of them than from most other schools - and maybe especially to us due to the Saban-Belichick connection.

Yet another reason I ignore the hype. It's inherently disproportionate and lacks context, both before and after. E.g., Upshaw doing well in a 3-4, but then poorly at a different position in a 4-3.

There's a "three Chubbs walk into a bar" joke in here somewhere, but I'm too tired to work on it right at the moment.

Three chubs walked into a bar. The first one, an unpatriotic pats fan, had to leave early after getting overly excited when he heard the Pats signed Reid. The second got so hammered that he was later renamed Nub. The third picked up a bulimic chick after discovering that they both shared a common bond; they feel more clear headed after throwing up.

Last edited:
Three chubs walked into a bar. The first one, an unpatriotic pats fan, had to leave early after getting overly excited when he heard the Pats signed Reid. The second got so hammered that he was later renamed Nub. The third picked up a bulimic chick after discovering that they both shared a common bond; they felt more clear headed after throwing up.
What?!? We signed Reid!?!

Chung goes down and you have Jordan Richards, Ebner or King. Super set of safeties.

Don't disagree, but I have to imagine most NFL team's 4th, 5th and 6th string safeties aren't super stars either. And I think BB likes two or all three of those guys listed as they keep making the team year after year.

Where would the Eagles be pulling this phantom salary cap space from? They're hard up against the limit as it is. They'd have to make some trades or cuts.
Don’t need much money to sign a scrub for the vet minimum

Don't disagree, but I have to imagine most NFL team's 4th, 5th and 6th string safeties aren't super stars either. And I think BB likes two or all three of those guys listed as they keep making the team year after year.

Well, Ebner and King are amazing special teamers, so that makes sense. But they add nothing to the safety depth chart, that's not what BB likes about them.

Richards has his spot just because the team refuses to replace him. Whether that means they like him or their plans keep falling through remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back