PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft Prospect Thread

Excited for next year. I'll keep a close eye particular on jewel, Micah kiser, Landry and Norte dame Oline.

The best player in next year's draft, if he declares would be qb Rosen of ucla.

Not Darnold? He seems to be the consensus guy right now.

Both are overrated, in my opinion. The QB from Wyoming, Allen, is the most talented of any QB in college football that I've seen. Not sure how polished he his, but his raw talent is truly incredible. Rudolph from Oklahoma State is pretty good too. Those would be my top 2 picks at QB.

As for everyone else, it's just way, way too early. If you want to look for most unique, most amazing talents, you might go with the Penn State TE Mike Gesicki, Alabama S Ronnie Harrison (and Derwin James, if healthy), or Texas LB Malik Jefferson.

My super early preference would be towards Ronnie Harrison. Ever since Sean Taylor came out, I've been looking for the next Sean Taylor. Not saying that's Harrison, but he's closer than anyone else that I can think of.

Last edited:
Oh, interesting to note in your links, OP, that Saquon Barkley ran a 4.63. If he comes out, maybe expect him to fall into the second round. Might be someone to consider at the end of round 1 if he's evaluated to be a stud RB. I'm not normally a fan of drafting RBs high; just saying.

Oh, interesting to note in your links, OP, that Saquon Barkley ran a 4.63. If he comes out, maybe expect him to fall into the second round. Might be someone to consider at the end of round 1 if he's evaluated to be a stud RB. I'm not normally a fan of drafting RBs high; just saying.

Barkley ran a reported 4.33 in the spring.

Very interested in Allen but all the big QB's next still have a ton to prove. Very excited for this fall!

Two players I really like - Jefferson the linebacker.. looks good on the eye. As well Jordan whitehead safety. Could be a Chung replacement

Coming up with a list now.

Check out @WurthDraft's Tweet:

No days off indeed. :) interesting stuff Bacon. I have only looked at QBs to this point cause that is what I am convinced we take but if they decide to trade Brady IDK what they do and it would make it less predictable.

Also I know you are doing ALL this to impress me but you can't go on my signature yet damn it. I need to give you a few years so take it easy! :p

Something I've liked to do the last few years is take a look at the top ten rankings by position before the season starts, and watch those players all year. Sometimes they stay at the top of the charts; more frequently, they are displaced as some hot new talent comes along. Tracking these players can lead to late round "steals" as people forget about last year's performers. McDermott is a great example of that phenomenon in action. Anyway, all that to say that I've got screenshots of the nfldraftscout positional rankings, and I'll keep tabs on the changes throughout the year.

Something I've liked to do the last few years is take a look at the top ten rankings by position before the season starts, and watch those players all year. Sometimes they stay at the top of the charts; more frequently, they are displaced as some hot new talent comes along. Tracking these players can lead to late round "steals" as people forget about last year's performers. McDermott is a great example of that phenomenon in action. Anyway, all that to say that I've got screenshots of the nfldraftscout positional rankings, and I'll keep tabs on the changes throughout the year.

I don't know how true this phenomenon is, but you might say teams were given extra time to find reasons to be critical of these players that dropped on their boards.

Personally, I always thought Matt Barkley fell farther than he should and has been undervalued as a pro. I can't be in meetings, and I admittedly haven't watched any All-22 on him, but almost everything seems to be there.

Ok, looked at some of the top RBs.

Barkley and Guice are pretty similar. Both are slashers, kind of in the vein of Clinton Portis.

Bo Scarbrough looks a lot like Chris Henry... not very quick to get going, but he's very tough to bring down and has a nice top speed.

Royce Freeman has extremely impressive vision and uses blocks very well. He's not quite the athlete that the other guys are probably, but that's a skill that will translate very well. It might just be a flexibility issue with him -- if he can loosen his hips, he might find extra speed.

Ronald Jones II will be fun to watch. He reminds of another Jamaal Charles but with perhaps more ability to run inside. He's also only like 20 years old, so who knows how much more his frame might fill out. He's the best playmaker of the bunch though. If you feel that Reggie Bush came to the NFL about 10 years before his time (before the NFL adopted a more pass-first mentality with wider formations), then Jones II is your prototype back. He actually hasn't caught the ball much out of the backfield yet, but he seems to have good coordination and thus the potential to.

Rawleigh Williams III might be the best everydown back that I've seen yet. Very stout and quick, sort of like a Ray Rice kind of back. Good vision, smart cuts. Unfortunately, I just read about his serious medical concerns, and there's even talk he may retire at this point in his career. That's pretty much a no-go.

Mark Walton looks solid. Similar style to Rawleigh Williams but not as good.

Kalen Ballage looks pretty good. Power and speed. A little tall, but he runs with a good pad level inside. Conservatively, you could say Matt Forte, but there are bits of Tevin Coleman and David Johnson too.

I watched tape of probably 10 other guys that I was less impressed with.

My top backs would probably be Kalen Ballage, Royce Freeman, and Saquon Barkley.

Last edited:
Check out @Draft_Brian's Tweet:

No days off indeed. :) interesting stuff Bacon. I have only looked at QBs to this point cause that is what I am convinced we take but if they decide to trade Brady IDK what they do and it would make it less predictable.

Also I know you are doing ALL this to impress me but you can't go on my signature yet damn it. I need to give you a few years so take it easy! :p

TY!

QB's look really good with what little I've watched live n on video.

As a whole theres tons of underclassmen that can stay but if they come out it'll be another great group.

I'll have a 18 sheet tonight or tom and will be working on Evals from 17 and pre 18 ones.

FWIW I would have bet everything I own we took Mahomes this year if we stayed in the first and had a chance.

Check out @biffmila's Tweet:

Not really sure how he projects, but Todd Kelly from the Vols was a guy I loved watching last year. I havent actually watched film on him yet so I havent delved deep into his game, But he just seemed like a guy that was all over the place. I need to see the bad though.

Check out @NFLDraftInsider's Tweet:

Ok, looked at some of the top RBs.

Barkley and Guice are pretty similar. Both are slashers, kind of in the vein of Clinton Portis.

Bo Scarbrough looks a lot like Chris Henry... not very quick to get going, but he's very tough to bring down and has a nice top speed.

Royce Freeman has extremely impressive vision and uses blocks very well. He's not quite the athlete that the other guys are probably, but that's a skill that will translate very well. It might just be a flexibility issue with him -- if he can loosen his hips, he might find extra speed.

Ronald Jones II will be fun to watch. He reminds of another Jamaal Charles but with perhaps more ability to run inside. He's also only like 20 years old, so who knows how much more his frame might fill out. He's the best playmaker of the bunch though. If you feel that Reggie Bush came to the NFL about 10 years before his time (before the NFL adopted a more pass-first mentality with wider formations), then Jones II is your prototype back. He actually hasn't caught the ball much out of the backfield yet, but he seems to have good coordination and thus the potential to.

Rawleigh Williams III might be the best everydown back that I've seen yet. Very stout and quick, sort of like a Ray Rice kind of back. Good vision, smart cuts. Unfortunately, I just read about his serious medical concerns, and there's even talk he may retire at this point in his career. That's pretty much a no-go.

Mark Walton looks solid. Similar style to Rawleigh Williams but not as good.

Kalen Ballage looks pretty good. Power and speed. A little tall, but he runs with a good pad level inside. Conservatively, you could say Matt Forte, but there are bits of Tevin Coleman and David Johnson too.

I watched tape of probably 10 other guys that I was less impressed with.

My top backs would probably be Kalen Ballage, Royce Freeman, and Saquon Barkley.

I've been a fan of Ballage for a while. It's a little worrisome that he hasn't won the starting job yet. Will be interesting to see what he does this year.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back