PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft Prospect Thread

Two players I really like - Jefferson the linebacker.. looks good on the eye. As well Jordan whitehead safety. Could be a Chung replacement

Whitehead is 5-11, 190. He'd have to bulk up some to play in Chung's position. Not to say he's not good though. The safety I have my early eye on for that role is 'Bama's Ronnie Harrison. Reported 6'3" and 218lb. Plays up in the box and single high although he doesn't look to have the range to play single high in the NFL. Can cover man on bigger WRs and TEs though.

An introduction:

Whitehead is 5-11, 190. He'd have to bulk up some to play in Chung's position. Not to say he's not good though. The safety I have my early eye on for that role is 'Bama's Ronnie Harrison. Reported 6'3" and 218lb. Plays up in the box and single high although he doesn't look to have the range to play single high in the NFL. Can cover man on bigger WRs and TEs though.

An introduction:

My god.. he's a freak of nature.. be interested to see his speed as well. Seems to cover very well too, also loves a big hit across the middle one thing I feel we possibly lack. Very interesting prospect though. Think I'd take him over my guy, just for the reason he looks like he can be an impact player and he can cover TE, think teams are going to try and exploit the duel tight ends now. So having someone like this may be a good investment. Be good to see him for the rest of the season though. Definitely one I will be looking out for.

My god.. he's a freak of nature.. be interested to see his speed as well. Seems to cover very well too, also loves a big hit across the middle one thing I feel we possibly lack. Very interesting prospect though. Think I'd take him over my guy, just for the reason he looks like he can be an impact player and he can cover TE, think teams are going to try and exploit the duel tight ends now. So having someone like this may be a good investment. Be good to see him for the rest of the season though. Definitely one I will be looking out for.

There's an Arkansas cut up of him on Draft Breakdown. First play is him running downfield in man coverage on Cody Hollister.

An introduction:

IDK.

5'11" safeties named "Jordan" anything ....

OTOH, a 6'3" safety named R. Harrison ...!!

The guy I have my eye on is Rashaan Evans.

He didn't play much due to some injuries and incredible Alabama depth . but when given a chance he flashed his great potential. He can play any position around DTs, he's quick, fast, agile, strong . most of all he plays w great attitude . often making two plays on one snap.. and he plays with IQ as well. He has burst and strength against the run, he can rush and blitz (still raw of course) and he can drop in coverage (pretty good hips there)

He is under the radar at the moment (you can get him in 4th round easily) but with Foster, Anderson, Williams all gone he'll get plenty of opportunities all over and it will be interesting to monitor how much he can rise (hopefully not completely out of reach)

Most of all he's ready for his breakout season:

In February, Alabama senior LB Rashaan Evans predicted he'd win the Butkus Award in 2017.
A former five-star recruit, Evans is calling his shot in following in the footsteps of departing Butkus Award winner Reuben Foster. The 6-foot-3, 234-pounder only started two games last year because of Alabama's ridiculous depth, but he posted 53 tackles, 4.5 TFL, four sacks and a forced fumble as a heavily-used rotational player. Evans will start alongside Shaun Dion Hamilton this season. Both are premier NFL prospects.
-- May 5, Rotoworld

Alabama senior ILB Rashaan Evans reportedly clocked a max velocity of 20.5 miles per hour during testing prior to last season.
That's flying. NFL evaluators have a year to decide whether Evans is an inside linebacker, an outside linebacker or a defensive end. In the meantime, they can rest easy with the knowledge that he has the athleticism to play all three.

Here two films to see him in action, one from 2015 and last years final - where he started - look at #32:

for some fun . way ahead of time . some nice prospects available late..

32: G QUENTON NELSON, NOTRE DAME
64: S ARMANI WATTS, TEXAS A&M
96: TE MIKE GESICKI, PENN STATE
137: RB JUSTIN JACKSON, NORTHWESTERN
170: LB RASHAAN EVANS, ALABAMA
172: WR ROBERT FOSTER, ALABAMA
211: C AUSTIN GOLSON, AUBURN

the best part of this mock of course is that Pats “picked“ another Lombardi ..

Last edited:
Check out @Draft_Brian's Tweet:

@BaconGrundleCandy I love all the twitter cutups, but could you use them when talking about a players ability? I feel you have a lot to add to the discussions here, but mostly just see the videos without any context added. I would like to hear what you are seeing in these different players you are posting about.

Very good game by Fumagalli here. Maybe next year they could have TE much higher on the list.. Looks like a perfect fit. (like the name too)

Interesting film to watch.

USC's edge-lb group will be interesting to monitor. Gustin (#45) and Smith (#35) already getting some NE buzz, John Houston is joining the party this year, Nwosu while undersized can be an interesting late prospect..

Interesting film to watch.

USC's edge-lb group will be interesting to monitor. Gustin (#45) and Smith (#35) already getting some NE buzz, John Houston is joining the party this year, Nwosu while undersized can be an interesting late prospect..

I like Porter. Hard to not see the Matthews similarities between the production and upside.

Nice RB review here:

Maybe not what Pats will need or look for but nice breakdown of what to watch for in RB game in less obvious prospects (or in general for that matter)..

Would be uncanny for Pats to double dip at Iowa RB . but Wadley a nice under the radar player to watch..

Jimmy G news

In somewhat underwhelming S class so far . this was a nice find today:

SS Drew Tranquill, Notre Dame -- 6'1, 225, 4.64 (proj.)

Great attitude, IQ, shows leadership, strong, dependable, good tackling -
possibility for a very solid SS/LB hybrid in mid to lower rounds
not the quickest or fastest, but ok for his size

overcame two torn ACLs in 2014, 2015
will be used @ Rover position in 2017

Here a nice intro on him:
Tranquill Embarks On Rover Role

you can watch him here - look at #23 :
Jarron Jones vs Miami (2016) | Draft Breakdown Archive

Here an article on a guy Im keeping my eye on at DT: Dontavius Russell, Auburn:
Auburn turning to Dontavius Russell for leadership on defensive line

Very solid player, strong, athletic, great effort, eats blocks for others, capable of making plays himself. Now it's his turn to shine . and lead..

"He's a sharp, great young man," said Garner, Auburn's fifth-year defensive coordinator, when asked about Russell last month. "You talk about awesome academically, socially, athletically, spiritually, he's a total package guy... “

Could turn into a very good NT with some bonus agility.
You can check his game at draftbreakdown on Montravious Adams clips.

Last edited:
LB Kendall Joseph, Clemson is a joy to watch.
Has everything but the size (5'11). Elandon + coverage.

Here an article on a guy Im keeping my eye on at DT: Dontavius Russell, Auburn.
Auburn turning to Dontavius Russell for leadership on defensive line

Very solid player, strong, athletic, great effort, eats blocks for others, capable of making plays himself. Now it's his turn to shine . and lead..

"He's a sharp, great young man," said Garner, Auburn's fifth-year defensive coordinator, when asked about Russell last month. "You talk about awesome academically, socially, athletically, spiritually, he's a total package guy... “

Could turn into a very good NT with some bonus agility.
You can check his game at draftbreakdown on Montravious Adams clips.

A teammate was asked to describe him and he said leader.

Very vocal guy, in game. Seems like a good locker room guy. Would like to see a lil more flash but he's a guy that has the character we look for.

As mentioned already ALA secondary will be a treat. Fitzpatrick & Harrison were mentioned here before, the guy projected to Pats outside this forum was Averett..

The draft prospect of that unit not talked about much that Im intrigued the most is Tony Brown. Actually he is talked about lately - but more as track&field star at NCAA (ran 10.12 100m):
Alabama DB Tony Brown runs his best time at NCAA championships

He is projected starter at Star (nickel) position for 2017, played everything from outside CB, nickel, FS, SS and ST previously. And can really play all (incl big RBs and TEs).
Has the speed, agility, strength, toughness, attitude, instincts. All he needs is focus.
If he can finally put a season together wo distractions and somewhat tame his wild side I would consider him even for top pick (since Minkah will almost certainly be gone by then). At the moment he's very much under the radar but I guess that will change..

Very good game by Fumagalli here. Maybe next year they could have TE much higher on the list.. Looks like a perfect fit. (like the name too)

I'm *always* in the market for a TE that can be dominant in the running and passing game, but my one concern with this guy is that he's missing a finger. I know he's survived this long without it, but my concern persists as he reaches higher levels of competition where finger-tip grabs become more important.

An introduction:

Harrison is the big name DB that I'm most interested in, but I do pause to wonder about his hip tightness and foot speed too. I haven't decided he can't play single high yet, as I'm waiting to see what his season and the testing events produce.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back